close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Zx-14?

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by bac1023, Jul 14, 2006.

1. bac1023

bac1023

I'm thinking seriously about purchasing a ZX-14. I wasn't too sold on the looks, but I went to the dealer to see one. Its very comfortable and looks great in person (just an opinion). The one I saw was red, but I prefer the blue.

I sold my GSX-R1000 this year and have been without a bike for the first time since 1999. The supersport bikes don't really appeal to me anymore. I guess its a sign of getting older. The ZX-14 is capable of mid 9 second quarter mile times, but its still a sport touring motorcycle. The riding position is much more relaxed than my Gixer. I'm done with the supersport bikes, but I don't want a cruiser either.

Does anyone have an opinion on the big ZX?

Does anybody have one?

2. Compy

Compy CompensateWhat?

My boss is picking on up tomorrow.

Personally, I think it looks dorky as hell. I'm sure it's fast and a nice smooth ride, but I just can't get over how stupid it looks.

I guess it depends on what you want. If you are looking for a speed demon that can kinda be used for touring, the 14 would probably fit the bill. I would lean more towards an FZ1000 instead though just because it's wheelbase isn't so long and it can be thrown into the corners nearly as well as the supersport bikes.

If you want more of a touring bike, the ST1300 and FJR1300 are way better bikes than the ZX14 for that purpose and can still be fun bikes around the turns.

3. mmsig229

mmsig229

there's been alot of discussion in the cycle rags about the 'Busa killer. Mostly it talks about how fugly the bke is. Think I'd get a ST1300 instead or a Triumph.

4. Twisted10

Twisted10

I dont think u can go wrong w/ the zx14 or the Busa. Both are great bikes. Ive spent some time on a Busa,but have yet to ride the 14. Everything Ive read seems to be good about the 14.

post pics if u get one. :)

5. WellArmedSheep

WellArmedSheep NRA Member

The ZX14 looks much better in person than it does in print. The "fluted" frame (the fugliest part) isn't near as noticable when you're not seeing the bike standing straight up from the side. It's pretty large. I sat on one at the local dealer and it did seem to be quite comfortable. I say go for it.

6. bac1023

bac1023

I had a Busa back in 2000. The ZX-14 reminds me of it somewhat.

7. bac1023

bac1023

I agree. It does look much better in person.

The fit and finish is outstanding. I have always felt Kawasaki lagged behind say Honda or Yamaha in that area, but this bike looks great.

8. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

The look didn't exactly wowed me but it's not bad. Besides, if all you want on a bike is looks then we'll all be riding Italians right now.

I finally got to test rode one. Didn't get to really romp it on but I like the handling of it. The bike is hefty but you don't feel the weight.

Its ergonomics are more relaxed than a sport bike, but still fairly cramped for a sport tourer and I still find myself leaning forward a bit much for truly long distance riding. Nothing a bar riser can't fix.

This morning I passed two guys on ZX14s, brand stanking new, no plate, they're both garbed in leathers and had large luggages strapped to the back. My guess is that they're probably magazine writers doing some testings. One dude was really tall and the other guy was average height. The tall dude look like he will be hurtin' before half the day's through. His legs were all jacked up high and he seemed to lean forward quite a bit. We were all doing about 80-MPH with no headwind so it wasn't like he was trying to tuck in.

9. bac1023

bac1023

Well guys, I went again to the dealer today and bought one. I got it for $10700 plus tax and the other crap. I chose the blue color. Its still in the crate right now, but will be ready for me to pick up Saturday afternoon. There's nothing like a brand new bike!

I don't usually rush into things, but I'm going crazy without a cycle. Needless to say, I'm very much looking forward to bringing this thing home.

Unlike my past bikes, I plan on keeping this one mostly stock. A full exhaust and power commander may be added next season.

Pics to follow.

10. Clydeglide

Clydeglide

11. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

Good choice. Slip-ons are for posers. ;)

12. bac1023

bac1023

I never buy slip-on pipes.

13. WellArmedSheep

WellArmedSheep NRA Member

nm...

14. Twisted10

Twisted10

they are? ive never put a full system on a liter bike. no need for it IMO. :beer:

15. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

Slip-ons just make it louder. If you don't go to a full system, then you should just keep it stock. IMO no need for the noise without any performance gain.

16. Twisted10

Twisted10

2hp gain on my zx10r w/ an Akrapovic slip on. yes, I dyno'd it. (160.3 RWHP) Was it work $400? no, but I like to be able to hear my bike, even w/ earplugs in.

99% of the people just buy them for sound, i buy them to lose stock weight, less exhaust restriction, and i guess some squid value in looks... :supergrin:

17. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

I think it's a bad choice myself. Leave it stock, the bike already has more power than 99% of the bikes out there. I love the fact my ZX-11 still has the stock exhaust because the whole neighborhood doesn't know when I come home at 3:00 AM. Not only that but unless you are willing to spend the bucks to have a professional put it on a dyno to be rejetted the right way then it will never run as smooth as it does stock.

18. bac1023

bac1023

I like the stealth mode as well. I had full systems on all of my other bikes. Its nice to have a quiet bike for a change. Like I said, I'm keeping this one stock until at least next season.

That said, my GSX-R was remarkably smooth with a full system and power commander.

19. norton

norton

Nothing like picking up a new bike. Have fun.

20. bac1023

bac1023

Thanks.