close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

ZX-14 review (so far)

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by bac1023, Jul 21, 2006.

1. bac1023

bac1023

First off, I have less than 200 miles on my bike, so I can't give a full test review. I have always followed the manufacture's break in procedures on every new bike I have owned.

I'm keeping the revs under 4000 for the first 500 miles and then under 6000 for the first 1000 miles. Likewise, I haven't felt the bike's power as of yet. The handling is outstanding for a bike of its size. I have been fortunate enough to have owned many top of the line bikes in the past. Including the Hayabusa and ZX-12R. The bike I'm comparing it to is the Hayabusa, since its still in production and the 14's main competition.

In terms of handling, the ZX-14 feels much lighter and more nimble, IMO. Its only a couple pounds lighter, but it feels about 50 pounds less.

The Zx-14's brakes are very strong. I wouldn't say any stronger than the Hayabusa's brakes, but the feel is better.

From a power standpoint, the Hayabusa felt a good deal stronger at these low revs. While the Hayabusa would lurch forward with authority, the ZX is much more mellow. Kawasaki was trying to make the bike easier to ride in town from what I've heard. In fact, this is one of the most gentle bikes I have owned. It reminds me of the Suzuki RF900R I had years ago. From what I understand, its acceleration is second to none above 5000rpm.

I was reading a comparison on the web of the bikes tested together. The horsepower and torque graphs mirror how the bikes feel in the saddle. The Hayabusa has an advantage up to 4500-5000rpm.

2. bac1023

bac1023

Here is the torque graph. As you can see, the Hayabusa has a good deal more in the lower revs. It also doesn't have that huge flat spot between 3000-3300rpm. You can feel this when riding the ZX. Its slightly annoying, but not a big problem.

3. bac1023

bac1023

Here are some acceleration numbers followed by a graph. Both bikes are bone stock with a professional rider aboard. Each bike was run four times, with the best time taken. Both bikes have unbelievable capabilities. Those 0-100 times are unreal. Of course, when you can do 90MPH in first gear it makes these runs easier!

4. bac1023

bac1023

Here is the acceleration graph right up to 180. They are both electronically limited to 186MPH.

5. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Mind numbing indeed. That's just crazy!

Sucks to have to break it in. I'd wanna get on it so bad, it'd be killing me. I think I'd take a road trip so I could rack up the miles and shorten the break-in period.

6. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

How is the comfy-ness? Do you think you can go for a long haul on one it without a sore back/butt/wrists? How do the ergos compare to the Busa too?

7. bac1023

bac1023

The ergos are slightly less sporty than the Busa's and much less sporty than the GSX-R1000 I sold this year. Although I haven't gone on any long trips, I feel very little pressure on my wrists, back, or neck. The seat is very comfortable as well. Overall, this bike is a pleasure to ride. Like I said before, a little more torque around town would be great, but the gentle nature of the bike in low RPMs is a nice touch. Too much more low end torque would take away this quality. The Busa has less power overall (14hp and 9ft-lbs of torque according to this test), but its not nearly as docile at low revs.

I'll post a full review once I can unleash the engine. Even at this stage, I highly recommend the motorcycle. It really is well mannered, regardless of how fast it is.

8. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

It sounds like Kawasaki and BMW are on the same lines of thought as far as low RPM performances on these hyperbikes are concerned. Docility on the street is a good thing on these beasts.

9. bac1023

bac1023

Yeah, not only did Kawasaki engineer the engine and exhaust to produce mild low RPM power, but the bike is electronically reduced in power over the first three gears. Apparently it has the least power in first and gets progressively stronger until fourth gear on up is full strength. I'm sure a gizmo will be available to "correct" this before long, if its not out already. Were talking only about a five horsepower difference between first and fourth gear. It supposed to make the bike easier to launch.