Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you autoupdated the latest from MS, you won't have internet connectivity unless you either 1) decrease the ZA internet zone to medium, or 2) turn off ZA and use Windows Firewall

Hopefully ZA will come out with an update to fix this.

·
Footlong Jr.
1,953 Posts
Well, well, well.

I had auto updates turned off since SP3 but when I read this I thought I'd turn them back on and get the updates just to see if I could duplicate the problem.

CRAP!!! :crying:

It's like someone just cut the cord to the internet.

Thank You Microsoft!!! :steamed:

Zone Alarm is on my torrents XP VM and I really don't want to crank down the security on that.

I'm going to see if I can back the updates out with system restore.

·
Footlong Jr.
1,953 Posts
Whew.. :faint:

Auto updates worked.. and it took me back to a time when I had auto update and background intelligent services disabled.

No more XP updates for me..

·
dude and stuff
113 Posts
this happened to me last night, i did the automatic updates, rebooted and i couldn't connect, i was thinking my internet crapping out and the update was just coincidental.

i will check this out when i get home tonight

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There may be another work-around but I haven't run across anything else yet.

·
dude and stuff
113 Posts
yep, i can official say that i do not have internet connection with zone alarm on.

thanks for the heads up,

·
dude and stuff
113 Posts
ok, did the zone alarm fix where i set the internet zone to medium...so far so good.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I should have looked here first. I of course lost connectivity as well,I used system restore to get it back. MS just can't seem to get it done correctly. I see there are updates for my Vista machine, I will wait that one out for awhile.

·
Glock Lover
826 Posts
I am running Vista and Zone Alarm together. I installed the latest updates last night. No issues so far. So it seems to be isolated perhaps to XP machines. I have two of them running but neither one with Zone Alarm installed.

·
Annoying Member
2,202 Posts
After applying any necessary/essential updates I always disabled automatic updates on all the XP machines that I work on and advise my customers against changing the setting.

If M$ puts out any updates that I feel are necessary I will download and manually install them myself, all of M$ updates can be downloaded from one of the sites listed below …

http://www.softwarepatch.com/

http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/updates/

FYI: There are reports of M$ forcing updates on users that had auto updates turned OFF in the past year so if you want to totally kill auto updates you need to disable the services “Automatic Updates” AND “Background Intelligent Transfer Service”.

·
Banned
5,218 Posts
http://filehippo.com/download_zonealarm_free/

ZoneAlarm customers have complained that access to the Internet was denied after installing MS08-037, a patch designed by Microsoft to correct a vulnerability in both the client and server Domain Name System packages within Windows. Earlier on Tuesday, a security researcher announced a massive, multi-vendor patch release to address a fundamental flaw in DNS that could allow attackers to spoof IP addresses.

This release fixes this issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts