close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Zocor Prescribed Today. SIGH...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Restless28, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Restless28

Restless28

Damn, I need a drink.

Someone pass me a beer.

2. DrBob

DrBob

PLEASE READ THIS ARTICLE BY JOHN CAREY ON STATINS. IT WAS IN BUSINESS WEEK AND IS QUITE READABLE.
    http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/08_04/b4068052092994.htm

Then check out the results of the SEARCH study on simvastatin. ".. the drug is associated with increased risk of myopathy [muscle damage]. In addition when compared with the drug's efficacy at lower doses, high dose simvastatin is minimally or no more effective in reducing ... cholesterol or decreasing risk of major vascualr events"

depending on your risk factors and past history the number needed to treat (for 3.3 years) with a statin drug to prevent one non-fatal heart attack is about 150. That is, of 150 people taking the drug for that time, only one will benefit. The remaining 149 get no benefit but may be harmed.

Please read the Carey article then sit down and talk to your doctor about modifiying risk factors like smoking, weight loss, exercise, and diet. All of which, are a lot safer cheaper and more effective than pills...

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012

3. deputy tom

deputy tom

I'm in.tom.:wavey:

4. Detectorist

Detectorist

For those taking cholesterol lowering meds..... please investigate the benefits of a low carbohydrate diet.

Being diabetic, i went on a low carb diet a few years ago and my cholesterol went from 235 to 185. i was eating lots of protein and fats...

Look into it, folks.

5. DrBob

DrBob

Oh, yeah! Gee, Wow. it lowers your risk by 33% relative. That is, from 3% absolute to 2% absolute for people who are at high risk to start with. And, they have to take the stuff for 3 years. Statins are one of the really big sellers. Would you take the drug if you were told that it will help less than one person in 100, that 99% of the people who take it do NOT get the reduction in risk, and that some get liver or muscle damage from it? Oh, by the way, it may cost you as much as $4 per day for a drug that has less than a 1% chance of helping you.

6. Restless28

Restless28

I do not want to take the meds if my numbers are borderline. I'll ask for the results tomorrow.

7. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Millennium Member

does eating salads and running 6 miles per day count?

8. kiole

kiole

Tomorrow I'm starting the diet laid out in Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease: The Revolutionary, Scientifically Proven, Nutrition-Based Cure. I'll let you know how it works, supposedly if you can stick to the diet you almost eliminate the possibility of heart attack and stroke regardless of family history. The difficult part is it's basically a vegan diet which also restricts all oils, nuts, avocados. The only good thing is i absolutely love vegetables and fruit.

I'll probably make a thread about it if it works and if i can see some results.

9. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

Great Decision!

Due entirely to THIS DIET I am now drug free after 2 heart attacks (3 if you ask my wife) and a bout of Prostate cancer.

Once you get into the diet it does get easier. I have the 'gift' of being able to eat the same thing over and over - especially easy when I know what it is supposed to be doing for me!!!

After 2 years on this diet, my blood pressure dropped 10 points on both numbers - went from 120 / 80 to 105 / 65 - So I know the arteries are clearing out! (my best BP is 100 / 60, but I average in the 110 / 70 zone)

Okay - I do take the 81mg aspirin, but still.. that isn't bad considering my medical history!

Oh - my lipid panel at the time of the heart attack was 154 combined cholesterol with a 38HD... so I was in the 'safe zone' according to my GP.

The first heart attack hit me on my 50th birthday during a bike ride. I had just returned from a week in Florida in June... and thought I was just tired.

CoWorker badgered me into calling the GP - we decided to see how my Wed bike ride went - and it was flawless.

The next Sunday was the second heart attack, and I went to ER - Nitro helped, and the rest is called an intervention and I now carry one stent LAD!

Sure wish I had know about the diet prior to the heart attacks!!! Did you know that there is no info on 'how to remove a stent' published on the Internet??? :steamed:

Anyway - When you stay on the diet it will help you out, even if your Mom has 10 stents (as mine does at 76 yrs old while she smokes away)...

Not that I care for his politics, but Bill Clinton could have picked any course of action after he plugged HIS first stent - notice how he lost a lot of weight a while back? It's the diet at work!

I dropped 25 lbs eating what ever I wanted on this diet - my body automatically right sized it's self, and I hadn't thrown out my old wardrobe (thank goodness) so it was pretty cool!

You can do anything for 90 days, especially if it will help your health! I recommend 6 months to really see the effects, but I got the benefits right away:

More energy
    Better sleep at night
    Weight loss
    Very Acceptable strength riding my bikes

Oh - by the way - Those of you who suffer from ED (erectile dysfunction) - DID YOU KNOW - the first sign of heart disease is > ED < ? So if you need to take a pill, you may need to look into your overall systemic health...

Sorry bout the long post, but hopefully someone will get some encouragement out of this!

Patrick

10. Restless28

Restless28

Guys, thanks a ton for the responses. I want to change my diet and start running. I'm already on the Primal Fuel smoothies each day...dark chocolate powder, with blueberries and a banana and milk.

I guess I'm going back to almond milk. I eat salads each day of just greens and olives and homemade red wine vinagrette, and a snack of banana and peanut butter.

I fall off the discipline wagon at night a lot...pizza in small amounts. I only drink water, coffee, and some beer.

I need to run, and eat less.

11. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

185 is still at the high end of the "high" range... 190 starts the "very high" range. Glad a diet change lowered it but you still have a ways to go.

12. TexanRon

TexanRon Come 'n Take It

Can we agree that soliciting, and getting, medical advice on a gun site is probably not the wisest thing to do? Follow your Drs advice. Take your meds.

13. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

So what stopped you from running today?

14. Detectorist

Detectorist

15. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

Ok Pierre! So what do you eat?

16. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

The same thing happened to me. My doctor pulled me off the drug(s). I was able to accomplish the lower numbers by exercising regularly and changing my diet. The doctor said less than 2 percent of patients are able to improve their cholesterol rankings by changing their eating habits and exercising.

17. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Been taking the generic equivalent simvistatin for about 3-4 year, not making my hair fall out. Im on the lowest dosage.

If I can get my weight down I might be able to come off it.

18. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

Vegetables, legumes, and fruits... when I am good...

Holidays are the worst... snuck in a little pizza! :wow:

That's pretty much it.

As mentioned:
    If it has eyes, a face, or a mother, it's out!
    No Nuts
    No Avocado
    No Coconut
    No Oils - NO OILS (this makes it a little tough at times)

Check out the one hour and two minute presentation here:
    HeartAttackProof.com - Media
    Scroll down to this text: Watch a full 62-minute talk from Dr. Esselstyn from 2003 talk entitled "Make Yourself Heart Attack Proof":
    The video you want is just below that text, and worth every minute you will spend watching it.

If you have Netflix the Forks Over Knives video presentation is available... they discuss spontaneous remission of Diabetes, Heart Disease, and Breast Cancer.

My understanding is that our diets and the lack of nutrition sets up a systemic inflammation that compromises our immunological system leaving us vulnerable... and then you pile on stress... and the rest is history!

Let me know how you like the movie(s) please...

Patrick

19. nursetim

nursetim

Hair falling out? Get out of here. Zocor is the brand name of simvastatin and DOES NOT MAKE YOUR HAIR FALL OUT. Lifestyle changes that work is always preferred over drugs, but sometimes you need drugs. Your doctor is a basically your healthcare advisor, you both need to decide what is best for you, TOGETHER.

20. AA#5

AA#5

:rofl: Why bother? Don't the drugs make that unncessary?