Zipline to my treestand

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by deutscheglocker, Oct 16, 2015.

1. deutscheglocker

deutscheglocker

Well, I haven't been seeing very many deer behind my house.
    I just did order a trail camera to replace the 3 that were stolen a while back.

I posted on another forum about possibly installing a zipline to my treestand because the elevation was pretty close from my driveway to the tree I use.

A few things I did was to place a permanent stand instead of the climber I used last year. This is on my property and the cherry tree appears to be slowly dying.
    When I built the platform, I accessed it with an old wooden ladder.
    The platform is 20 feet above grade and the ladder opened to 16 feet.
    My neighbor told me she saw some of the young neighbor kids playing around that area and I was concerned they might climb and possibly fall.

OK. After much thought, marginal planning and diving straight ahead, I installed the zipline to my hunting treestand.

The attachment trees are a bit small ( only 6 and 7 inches around), so I wrapped the cable around both. Downside to that is that as I cranked the cable taut, the tree actually bent more toward the house so there's more sag than I would like.

I used 5/16" cable as opposed to something lighter.
    I bought a rappalling harness so I could attach my lanyard in front instead of using a full body harness with the attachment "D" ring at the back .

I had to take quite a running start to make it all the way and had 2 ropes attached to a shackle which would allow me to pull myself in either direction if I was short.

I think my sweetie verified my life insurance was up to date but I thank her for doing some of the camera videos.

Running and jumping off the edge of the hillside was one of those "Hey Honey, hold my beer and watch this " moments.

I just turned 66 a couple days ago, lived a pretty good life so figured "what could go wrong?".

Here ya go.

[youtube]2B90dDC9RkQ[/youtube]

or

Atomic Punk likes this.
  2. Tvov

Tvov

:bowdown: That is good! What you need to do is attach the line higher on the house, like above a second story window. Have a nearby wall mount deer head rigged up so that when you pull an antler, the window springs open. Then you jump out the window and zip to the tree stand....

3. dartor

dartor

In my opinion, you are hunting too close to your home.

4. Tvov

Tvov

Shorter drag?

I've got friends who have gotten deer shooting from their porch.

5. deutscheglocker

deutscheglocker

I'm 66. I've been trying to lure them to the garage door at which point I could drop a brick on their heads.
    Still trying to find bricks as acceptable ammunition in the game laws.

The neighboring community kills them with silenced rifles about 700 yards away.
    I made the platform large enough for an easy chair.
    Let me tell you about our turkeys.
    30 feet from my house.

90 feet from my house last year (under my stand)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  6. deutscheglocker

deutscheglocker

Ok on the zipline. It works fine and I've been using it quite a bit.
    Jumping off the treestand into darkness was weird as was running and jumping off the edge of my driveway in darkness.
    I say darkness but there is a bit of ambient light so its not like pitch black.

The first movie in this response was just a day on my stand. I did have a young doe with her younger kid pass by. These 2 are regulars and I won't shoot them.
    There are a few good sized bucks around and the rut hasn't really started so I may hold off on shooting the smaller 8 point who I've seen a few times. I've also seen a small 4 point and another buck too far away to distinguish what he was wearing.
    Anyway, this was a great day to be out there and I saw a couple deer.

[youtube]paJVDSB_6BI[/youtube]

The second vid is just a compilation of pics where I was using the zipline.

[youtube]Eqk8QW-hwGY[/youtube]

The downside is that I have to take it down. I'm having a garage addition put in with a deck above and the securing point will be in the way. The other reason is that I inspect the rigging points every day and noticed the 2 5/8" forway anchors have split the block they were drilled into. Probably from me over tightening them 20 years ago. The other 2 bolts are through bolts with backup washer plates on the inside so I believe it's safe but since they will cut out the bad block to grout those cells for an I beam, I might as well just remove the old basketball hoop support completely and figure to reinstall it later or in another location.

Ok, that's probably it for the zipline unless I weld a piece of 4" pipe to a plate and anchor it into my driveway.
    Time will tell.

7. Sigobsessed

Sigobsessed Ruggedly handsome

Definitely an interesting way to get into a tree stand!

8. deutscheglocker

deutscheglocker

It's pretty cool.
    I'll weld a new house attachment point when they place the first 2 steel beams for my new garage this spring and should be up and zipping by early summer.

Retired with too much time on my hands.

9. Paul53

Paul53 You local friendly Skynet dealer

Can deer laugh?

10. deutscheglocker

deutscheglocker

Over the years, I feel as though quite a few have laughed at me.

However, in many instances, they have paid the price for their laughter and it resulted in them being either steaked , chopped or tenderloined.