Zicam, Coldeze - do they work for you?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by elkhart, Sep 11, 2019.

1. elkhart

elkhart

I'm on day three of The Cold From Hell. On the misery scale, it's a small step below the flu. I did the Zicam nasal spray when I first felt it coming on. Disgusting stuff, the taste of zinc coating the throat. Used it as directed but the cold just got worse and worse.

So, didn't work for me. Do those products work for you?

2. Bill Keith

Bill Keith

None of that stuff has ever helped me. First onset of a bad cold I increase my fluid intake and take acetaminophen for all the aches and pains. I also take time off from work and take to my sick bed for a few days and try and sleep as much as I can. Hope you get to feeling better soon Elkhart!

elkhart likes this.

3. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

Zicam has those nose swab things. Back in the day they did work. then they took them off the market, and re-released. worthless now.

My regimen when sick consists of: Strongest OTC available (if really bad), Nyquil at night time, regular advil during the day. LOTS of water and LOTS of tea w/ honey.... Echinacea is an immune booster, ginger settles stomach, and sleepytime at night time.

I'll drink 2-3x 30oz yetis of this tea (2 bags each) with honey when sick. It is about the most soothing thing known to mankind. https://www.iherb.com/pr/Traditiona...VFluGCh3uCQ21EAQYBCABEgJ7-vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

4. jakedaawg

jakedaawg

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    I swear by "airborne "...it really seems to help me.

5. rogn

rogn real dogs

I started using "Cold Ease" soon after it became marketed and although its impossible to get pure scientific valid data, I feel that it reduces the severity and duration of the cold perhaps by hafh. This includes doing all those things that are accepted support treatment.
    I also think I have been able to avert oncoming colds. Again impossible to prove scientifically. I still fall back on"Cold Ease" whenever it seems appropriate.
    The past few years I seem to have avoided colds by the recommended "wash your hands". Ive been living with a chronic form of cancer for the last 11 years. One of the effects is a depression of your immune system. So I have begun a regimen of hand washing after any encounter with things such as doorknobs, hand shakes or any other potentioal exposure to conact surfaces etc. The use of hand sanitizers when washing is not possible makes a major difference and the one possibly most beneficial precaution is to NEVER_NEVER rub your face or your eyes or handle things like a pen or pencil then chew on it. Its hard to drop old habits or to irnore that God awful itch at the corner of your eye. Wash or sanitize you hands before doing any of these things!! You will see a dcrease in the number of colds.

Bill Keith, Dr. Leaky and Caver 60 like this.
  6. RenoF250

RenoF250

The Zicam nose spray sure seems to work for me. Throat spray too to a lesser extent.

I usually wake up stuffed up with a bunch of crap in my eyes and the Zicam nose spray really cuts that down.

Caver 60 likes this.
  7. sarge83

sarge83

Zicam seems nasal products work, but the other has no effect. The Zicam I found has to be used immediately upon the onset of symptoms. When I feel a respiratory event coming I hit it with Mucinex DM and that seems to do the trick for me.

8. IvanVic

IvanVic

I remember when people got swept up in the marketing of those nose swabs. The claims were outlandish and people parroted them. “It will cut your cold in half” was a common claim. If someone discovered a proven way to cut the length of the common cold in half, it would have been a miraculous scientific and medical breakthrough.

9. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

I have friends that swear by it, and friends that say it's a waste of time. I don't use the stuff and just keep clean hands, and away from my face.

10. KennyFSU

KennyFSU

Coldeze for sure, it has saved me from getting a full-blown cold; I pop a few at the first sign of a sore throat.

11. Dr. Leaky

Dr. Leaky Know-It-All

Wasn't there a thing about losing your sense of smell when these were new? Kept me from wanting to try them and use the above hand-washing routine instead. So far so good.

12. GVIFlyer

GVIFlyer Senior Member

Zicam and Cold-Eze are both effective for me.

13. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:9

When people are unknowingly given a placebo, they swear it works too.

My wife has tried coldeze and swear it works. I am not convinced that it does but I have never tried it.

IvanVic likes this.
  14. 1L26

1L26

Yes, I use both but like Zicam the best. You have to begin treatment as soon as you feel the cold coming on. Then use it as directed. It works.....

15. elkhart

elkhart

I agree with the handwashing and not touching my face. My kid had the cold first, it didn't seem to affect him as much. He was outside playing, riding bikes after a couple days of laying low. I think our bodies just react differently to cold virus.

The nose and throat tea seems to help. I've also taken a shot of whiskey when I feel the sore throat coming on and that seems to help in a lot of cases. This time it didn't!

16. SRS

SRS

I use bourbon. It’s just as effective and more enjoyable.

17. napp32

napp32

I seem to get the best results from DayQuil/NyQuil gel caps. Actually, The Walmart equivalent (Equate) gives similar results while being much less expensive.

18. GlocknSpiehl

GlocknSpiehl NRA Life Member

AlkaSeltzer Plus cold or extreme cold, knocks it out in one or two days, tops

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk