Zev Tech OZ9

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by bubba76, Sep 6, 2020.

1. bubba76

bubba76

Anybody own one if you do how do you like it? Is it worth the price? Kinda like a Glock on Steroids. If you don't own one know anybody who has one?

2. ShipWreck

ShipWreck Beretta 92 Nut!

I am curious too. I watched a youtube video of it yesterday, and it looked pretty interesting.

3. bubba76

bubba76

I got to shoot one Thursday. I have a friend at the range I shoot at and he had just gotten one. As I was shooting he came back and asked me if I wanted to shoot it. Of course I said yes. I put 40 rounds on a target at 25' able to keep everything in a 4'' circle not great but the first time I had shot the gun so not real bad. Trigger was not bad a little gritty but brand new so will smooth out with more shooting. It still felt like a Glock striker fired gun nothing outstanding. Looked at it on the web site and it is a different take on the Glock. Pretty hefty price tag almost $1800. Would I spend that much for an improved Glock no, only way I would even think about spending that much money on a gun is if I was into competition. For a range toy my G19 works ok for me.

ShipWreck likes this.
  4. Monadh

Monadh

I bought the OZ9-STD-B-B for just under $1400 right when I had decided to get back into Glocks after 30+ years. I don't know why I bought it, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

And it was.

The Glock style trigger is one of the reasons why I sold my G17 back in 1988 and did not look back. The other (and biggest) reason was the grip angle. I was not interested in putting in the time to learn how to shoot well with it. The OZ9 speak to both of those and removes most of my previous objections.

The trigger still has the safety in it, but the shape of the trigger and the quality of the pull makes all of the difference here. Mine breaks right around 4 pounds and is pretty clean.

The angle of the grip is perfect for me, but what I have grown to appreciate is the shape of the grip. It sits in the hand very well for me, and the RMR's green triangle comes right to my eye when bringing the pistol up.

My pistol was included in a serial number range that Zev identified for new triggers. I sent mine in, and they replaced the trigger. The magwell that came with the pistol was out of spec and would not allow the included Magpuls to seat. Zev replaced that.

One thing I have noted is that one of the included Magpul mags appears to be causing the extraction of the last round fired to be weak. As I looked at it, it appears to have grooves worn into the sides of the feed lips. I have slow mo video proving that this can be recreated with that mag. I have let Zev know and will further document the issue.

The best part about this pistol is the possibility of changing the grip out to a shorter or longer grip as necessary, and it requires no effort to do so. This is a brilliant design that provides for a stable, solid handling pistol. Much better than the Sig in my eyes.

Hope this helps.

ShipWreck and pntblnk like this.
  5. bubba76

bubba76

Thanks for your input. The one I shot only had a few rounds through it so I was helping my friend break in his gun. LOL Are you into competition or just using yours as a range gun?

It felt better than my G19 but not sure I would spend that much money on one unless I was into competition with it. I do not like curved triggers so I put an Apex trigger in mine and like it. Have a Vortex Venom on mine and it works well for me. The modular grips are a neat idea and actually the design of the gun is different than a lot of others out their. Here is a pix of my G19. G19.JPG

6. bac1023

bac1023

I’ve handled a couple.

Not sure I’d buy one, as polymer isn’t really my thing, but they are cool.

7. Monadh

Monadh

I am not into competition, I am into owning pistols that may give me an edge, and the OZ9 seems to fit that. You can configure it for concealed carry with a shorter grip, or use a longer grip if you want. The green triangle in the RMR is very quick to acquire for me, and now that it is zeroed for 20 yards, I feel comfortable enough with it to carry if concealed.

RMRs are not just for competition.

ShipWreck likes this.
  8. bomba07

bomba07

I don’t own one, but I have shot one. I liked how it looked, but beyond that it was just a gen 3 Glock on steroids. Same trigger feel nothing special. I feel that the gen 5 Glock is better in every way other than aesthetics. For the price of an oz9 you can get a gen 5 g17 and g19.

ShipWreck likes this.
  9. bubba76

bubba76

How many rounds have you shot through yours so far? Did your trigger feel a little rough or was it smooth out of the box?
    The one I shot had only about 30 rounds through it and I shot 40 through it. The trigger on it was a little rough but will probably smooth out with a couple hundred rounds through it.

ShipWreck likes this.
  10. Monadh

Monadh

Understand that the "trigger bar" has been set by 1911s of various makes. My trigger was not as good as a 1911, but it was better than my gen 5 G19. It may have smoothed out some, but not much. It is a good trigger. The average of 6 pulls on the Lyman digital gauge is 3 pounds 1 ounce.

At this point, I have about 400 rounds through it. As good of a pistol as it is by itself, it comes alive for me and my 62 year old eyes with the dual illuminated RMR.

[​IMG]

11. Pete Perfection

Pete Perfection

I watched videos where they jam often.

12. Monadh

Monadh

That has not been my experience.

kiser64 likes this.