Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a S&W 422 pistol with adjustable elevation. I mainly shoot at an indoor range of about 25yds but have trouble getting good groups out there. I was wondering if there was a good rule of thumb for aiming closer to hit close to poa at 25 yds?

·
Florida's Left Coast
9,515 Posts
I have a S&W 422 pistol with adjustable elevation. I mainly shoot at an indoor range of about 25yds but have trouble getting good groups out there. I was wondering if there was a good rule of thumb for aiming closer to hit close to poa at 25 yds?
I'm not going to second guess your sight picture and POA vs. POI, but with a consistent sight picture, and consistent trigger control, you should get a decent group somewhere... even if it isn't at POA.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Shoot from a sand bag rest and see if it is the gun or you. By the way great gun, I love mine.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know the limitations aren't the gun, they are me. I was always trying to sight it offhand which probably is my problem. I can hit paper at that far, but my shots are all over the paper, to where I can't determine where I need to move the sights. I'll try using a rest and see if that groups m shots a little better.

I'm curious if I zero at 15yds, where will it be zeroed farther out?

·
Registered
583 Posts
If you're not grouping, don't move the sights.

If you need to bring the target closer, then do that. If you are serious about getting the fundamentals of target shooting, the by all means, take a basic marksmanship class. There should be one available at a range near you.

Sight Picture

Breath Control

Trigger Squeeze

Follow Through

Easy to say, a lifetime to master!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can see enough of a group to see that at 15yds my shots got high-left. I really only have issues with my .22 with my .357 Dan wesson I can group my shots all day long, so I feel it is just an issue with lightweight 422.

·
Registered
9,189 Posts
Start at 5 yds. Use both hands. If a rest is available, use it. Fire a ten shot string aiming at a plain black bullseye or perhaps a black square measuring maybe 2 inches. Note where your group forms. If no group forms, practice until you can shoot a good round group. Next move out to 10 yds. and repeat the process. At this point you may note a need for a sight adjustment. Make no adjustments until and not until you can shoot good consistent groups, sufficient for you to know exactly where they pistol is actually aimed/hitting. Once you have your POA=POI, then move out to 15yds. Repeat the practice routine. Keep extending the range until you are satisfied with the distance and results.

·
Groovy.
4,380 Posts
Start at 5 yds. Use both hands. If a rest is available, use it. Fire a ten shot string aiming at a plain black bullseye or perhaps a black square measuring maybe 2 inches. Note where your group forms. If no group forms, practice until you can shoot a good round group. Next move out to 10 yds. and repeat the process. At this point you may note a need for a sight adjustment. Make no adjustments until and not until you can shoot good consistent groups, sufficient for you to know exactly where they pistol is actually aimed/hitting. Once you have your POA=POI, then move out to 15yds. Repeat the practice routine. Keep extending the range until you are satisfied with the distance and results.
What he said. :)...plus, make sure you've got a good grip and are concentrating on trigger control(squeeze).

deadite

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was at the range today sighting the .22 in and can get nice groups off the bag now, but can't seem to get the rear sight low enough. I can put it all the way down and shoots just a hair high at 7yds but then it is hitting about 6" high out at 25yds. Any tricks to fix this?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I shot a friends S&W 41 last week and I did very well at grouping up to about 20 yards when I put it out to 25 yards it made a big difference. I don't understand how the last five yards could make that much of a difference but it did. I look forward to picking up a target 22 of my own to practice with, it was a lot of fun.

·
Registered
16,941 Posts
4" barrel 422 or 6"?

I had a 4" years ago and it was never very accurate, after I had purchased it I read an article about the 422 and they tested both the 4" and the 6", the 6" was much more accurate.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's the 4" and I love the little thing. I have been keeping my eye out for a nice 6" but really just want to wait and buy a Model 41 :supergrin:

It is pretty accurate for me, at least more accurate than I am. I just can't get that rear sight low enough.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts