Zeiss Rifle Scopes?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by CanyonMan, Jul 25, 2007.

1. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Guys,

Anyone here use a Zeiss Scope? Particularly, the "Conquest."

I am moving away from Leupold on my 7Mag, only because of the reticle situation, on the 3x9x40mm, does not come with a heavy duplex, that I need for my particular eye sight, 'and needs'. I do not want to jump up to the 50mm just to get the heavy duplex. I don't need it. The Zeiss, 'Conquest', on the other hand, is clear as a bell, and gathers light like crazy, and has a heavy duplex reticle.........But, I have NO experience with Zeiss, and again, the 'Zeiss Conquest' is my ONLY interest here concerning Zeiss.

I want to make sure it is something that does 'NOT' shake loose on the 7mag, and will last a good long while. The rest I have got a grip on, as I have already had the opportunity to look through one. I am just concerned at this point with 'recoil capibility'.

So, If anyone "Knows" something about the 'Zeiss Conquest', and it's recoil capibilities, 'and pro's /con's,' I would be interested in hearing. Please, this is the "only" brand I am needing some feedback on. I am familiar with 'Most all the rest' of the high end scopes.

Appreciate, and feed back. ;)

CanyonMan

2. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

You must be wanting a matte finish; otherwise, they show a heavy duplex 3-9x40mm (gloss) in the current catalog; it's #56770.

Have you considered having Leupold install the reticle of your choice in your existing scope? If you're happy with your current scope, it would be a lot cheaper than new glass, plus your confidence in your old scope would still be intact.

Give their Customer Service folks a call and see whether they will do it, and how much it would be.

3. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

DJ,

Been there, done that already....

Your correct, in saying that the "Matte finish," is what I am after, and they don't offer the heavy duplex in that.

The Zeiss offers far better light gathering than does the Leo, plus it has the reticle I want. I just was curious about it's recoil capibilities.

Well, I found out a couple things yesterday/last night, and that settled it all for me.

I found out from a guy 'at Zeiss', that the Conquest is tested at 1500 G's in the recoil department, that works out to several times the recoil of a 460 Weatherby. (can't even imagine) !

Even their little scope made for a .22 cal/17 HMR, with stands the recoil up to a 375 H&H mag.

I also talked to a Guy 'around here' last night that took his 7mag to Africa, with the exact same scope on it, (Zeiss Conquest), and he has taken a good bit of game with it over the years with 'no problems' no shaking loose, etc, and also told me he has other Zeiss modles on much heavier caliber guns.

So, it is Zeiss time!

I realize Leo holds up very well also, this is a given for them, and I may consider having the reticle changed down the road, in the Leo. But for 'now, and time', and etc, I will just pick up the Zeiss. Plus, as I said, the Zeiss, wins hands down, (for me), in the 'light gathering/clarity' end of things, for 'my' eyes at least. I just needed to know about the recoil end of things, and how high up the caliber scale I could go, and stay confident. Hey, if ya don't know, ya don't know.......

I appreciate your input, and a very good idea. Looks like we both had it about the same time, as yesterday I just broke down and made a cajillion calls. ;)

Thanks again for the help, research, and ideas.
    Have a good one DJN.

CanyonMan

4. gruntmedik

gruntmedik Semper Fi CLM

I've got the Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40 on my .308 . Doesn't recoil like a 7 Mag, but I'm quite content with it.

[​IMG][/IMG]

5. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Thanks gruntmedik,

Good looking outfit.

I spent some time on the phone with Zeiss, (not knowing anything about them), and had a very good conversation with guys who shoot a lot, and hunt a lot. I learned a good deal about their scopes, got quite an education on them to be honest, and am truly sold on them thus far. Even there little .22ca/17HMR scope, is tested to 1500 G's, and will with stand a 375 H&H mag, year after year.

These are some very high quality scopes, as workmanship, and price will show, and the people at Zeiss, are really great to work with. I have no doubt, this scope will be the one I have finally been looking for. Never seen one so brite, and clear, and the reticles offered, work well with my 56 year old eyes. Leo also makes a 'very good' scope to be sure, but It does not have the bright, clear, light gathering ability that the Zeiss has, and that 'I need' for 'my' hunting situations.

Thanks for sharing.

Good shooting.

CanyonMan

6. Brass Nazi

Brass Nazi NO BRASS FOR U!

Zeiss makes excellent scopes but they are expensive. The Conquest is their economy model.

Although I have never owned a Conquest I have compared them side by side with Leopolds and Nikon Monarchs. I think that both the VXIII and the Monarch are clearer and brighter but I would have no doubts that the Zeiss would hold up to the recoil of a 7mm.

The 7mm's recoil is not that bad anyway.

7. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Well, not quite right.
    It is not an "economy model." They don't have one of those.
    Kinda like a Porshe, they don't have an economy model either. ;)

Clarity and britght-ness, here can be subjective, like recoil debates.

As I said, "to me," it is far clearer, and gathers more light, than the Leo. If I did not say that, I meant to.

Again, Leo's are great. For 'Me,' The Zeiss has everything a little better. ;) BTW, the Zeiss conquest price was just lowered by the factory, and was the same price pretty much, as the Leo VXIII. Now it is only 50.00/75.00 less. No economy there. ;)

CanyonMan

8. noway

noway

Canyonman, I might beable to help you out. I'm looking for a leupold, VXII to be specific if possible. If you offer up that leupold for a good price, you can take my money and get yourself that zeiss.

I don't want you to miss the West TX buck ;)

9. gruntmedik

gruntmedik Semper Fi CLM

Your welcome.

When I got it, I was looking to stay under $400. I looked at Nikon, Leupold, and Burris. To me, in the same price range, nothing compared to the Zeiss. It is repeatable, and bright.

The latest Natchez catalog has them for $399. I bought mine at Galyan's for the same price best I remember. It's been about 6 years or so.

:thumbsup:

10. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Well, I like a man with a good business deal! One problem..... The Leo, is G-O-N-E ! So-saw-lee.

I am always thinking ahead man. "Except" for the fact, that I had the denero for the Zeiss, then my son comes along in a real jam, and needs some help. and i cut into my stash to help him out. So, I will have to wait another week, (big deal), till he pays me back. ;)

You got to be 'quick on the draw' around here Hoss, to get in on good deals. :supergrin:

Noway, as small as these West Tx. bucks are, i could be using a 'telescope' out of the Ft. Davis Observatory, and still not see it ! ;)

When you comin turkey huntin with me?

Later.

CanyonMan

11. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

I totally agree.... Concerning the other models. 'Good scopes', all, but I could not get the clarity, and brightness out of the Leo, as i did the Burris, and the Zeiss. The Zeiss being a better quality scope than the Burris, I went with the Zeiss.

I found one at a Cabela's in Ft. Worth for 400.00. As I told someone on here a moment ago, that price is down about 100.00. The Factory cut the price on it not long ago. Don't know how long that will last, but it is a very good deal.

I was going to go with the "Swarovski," but in comparison, I can see no need to jump up that high in $$$, when the Zeiss, is such a tremendous optic for 400.00.

Zeiss, Sarovski, Leupold, man their all high gear stuff. Just have to get what works for you, and what fits your needs. If this scope performs, the way the guys I'e talked to going on African safari's are telling me it does, in some very diverse light conditions, and recoil impact, and accuracy, then that is well and good with me.

Thanks again.
    Good shooting.

CanyonMan

12. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

That's what I hear as well.

13. noway

noway

{ When you comin turkey huntin with me?}

Maybe this spring, I've got about 15days of vacation time that should ready about spring time ;)

I just bought a Nikon Monarch a few months back and man it's great. It's the model with the BDC include. Not equal to a zeiss, but it look very well put together and should hold up. It's ( BDC) was kinda confusing but after you sit down with it for a few 100 rounds.

14. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Sonds good man. Nikon is really moving up and forward in the rifle scope optics, I have heard some relly good things about them. Enjoy the Nikon, get your cross hairs on some 'fur' this winter, and have fun.

Hopefully, we'll all still be around this spring, and perhaps something will work out.

We planted Milo top and bottom of the back canton rim, but, no rain out here in W. Tx. enough to keep it from burning up. We lost it all.

Well, on to other things, amd other concerns. ;)

Stay in touch with me.....

CanyonMan

15. xd357

xd357

my dad bought a zeiss and now he wants to sale he's vxIII to buy another one. probley for the same reason as you.

16. Armchair Commando

Armchair Commando Long Range Guru

My dad has a Zeiss Conquest on his 378 Weatherby, He has well over 400 rounds through that gun. Their equal To/Or above the Leupold VX III lineup For the price their great glass and can withstand recoil of 1000's of rounds of 7MM Mag easily.

17. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Thanks for the info: I have already bought the scope, and it is ready to go. I have NO doubt this is the scope I have been looking for. For me, it far surpassed the Leo.

Thanks everyone, for your response ! ;)

CanyonMan