close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Zapped three hogs on Archery Deer Season opening day!

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Gunlawyer, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Gunlawyer

Gunlawyer

Opening day of Texas archery deer season. I had gotten to my small Live Oak tree 40 minutes South of Austin plenty early to allow enough time to climb up in the thing, calm down and enjoy the sunrise. I needed the chance to breathe deeply before light to relax as Saturday was opening day after all and I was pumped! All's quiet and the wind perfect, with the Live Oaks dropping acorns like crazy. The light gains and I hear some snuffling in the distance, then a 200 lb. Hog trots in to 20 yards away, happily vacuuming up the acorns, though it is still too dark to clearly place my arrow so I just watch all excited! Then a minute later another hog the same size runs in to join the other and I can see that he is a male. He is vacuuming up the acorns as well and after 10 minutes of them rooting below me from 11 to 20 yards, the light is solid enough for me do it right. So I draw on the big boy and off the arrow goes. Then off the hog goes! The arrow sticking out of his side, exactly where I aimed with the fletchings glowing bright in the morning gloom! Oh no! No pass through shot and I figure my lucky arrow with 4 harvests to its credit is doomed. I follow his sounds as far as I can and have a good idea where he went so I just wait and calm down! The other hog, which had been feeding 10 yards away from him and only 16 yards from me doesn’t know what is up and resumes sucking up acorns, then leaves after few minutes. I nock another arrow, just in case… It is 7:00 a.m.

Just as I am ready to climb down to begin tracking him, a herd of hogs comes trotting to me! These are all little cuties, about 50 pounds each and there were at least 8 or 9 of them! About half were solid brown, the others solid black and one mottled, white fuzzy one with black spots. Wow! They stop right were the male was and start rooting for acorns. What to do? Some are as close as 8 yards away. I pick the white one and off the arrow goes, this arrow hits perfectly, a pass through shot, and off the little bugger runs off with a loud squeal! The others flee too and I am left to calm down yet again. I can follow them fairly well thanks to the number of them and the racket they make. As I wait, I again nock another arrow, you just never know…. It is 7:15 a.m.

Just as I am ready to climb down to start the morning of hard work I now know I have ahead of me. The other big hog returns to start chowing down on the fallen acorns. I can see that she is a beauty, all of 200 lbs., and within seconds she offers me a perfect broadside shot at 17 yards. Off my third and final arrow goes (I only carry three with me into a tree). It is a perfect pass through shot and she hits high gear and I can follow her well from the racket she makes. It is 7:30 a.m.

To sum it all up, over the next hour and a half, all three blood trails led to gorgeous hogs and to my great surprise, my lucky arrow had fallen out and was still straight, ready for its 6th harvest. The other two arrows were located where they had stuck in the ground after passing through. Never did see a deer that day, but the local Hunters for the Hungry program and my freezer got a load of organic pork!

Lesson learned? I will never pull something so boneheaded again. That was wayyyy to much labor. I will learn self control! Whew!

2. noway

noway

Sounds like you did good and might have stumble across some free-running domestic hogs. To see that many in one spot and being very docile leads me to believe you ran across a good herd of hogs that might once have been livestock on somebody property.

My mon side of the family actually has land in the general area ( between Del Valle & Bastrop on HWY71 ) and they have found numerous "other people " hogs running on their property who exhibit the same actions. Some of these hogs would walk up within 10ft of you and where not very spooky at all. They actually act like a big dog or a pet vrs an wild animal.

Per the county sheriff dept., it's open game if the owners don't mend their fences or control their livestock.

Good job and let us know how those short ribs taste.

3. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Good job!

And i agree with Noway about the domestic hogs thing....
    Matter of fact, maybe i should go out and do some counting!
    You weren't on our place were ya!? :)

Enjoy the feast!
    Good story Hoss!

ps... if i ever get time to hunt this year, perhaps i'll have a story ! Hey, we did manage to get 'Buck Taylor,' "Newly" on Gunsmoke, to have us give him a call to guide him on a 2004 spring turkey hunt, and perhaps a lion hunt on my brothers ranch as well. This will be cool. Now if we can only get 'Festus' to come out! :)

CanyonMan

4. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Excellent hunting Chris!

Very few people in that situation get three hogs in one day.

I've had friends who get a five gallon bullet of corn feed and pour several beers in there to cover the corn and let it ferment out in the openings for a day or two.

And the pigs come going crazy. They lay in wait in nearby bushes, and call out their pig and shoot them like fish in a bucket.

In WA, feral hogs are considered a nuisnace so any hunting techniques are allowed. Baiting, trapping, hounds.