Yzf600r

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by 357glocker, Apr 25, 2007.

1. 357glocker

357glocker

Hopefully I am going to be buying a new bike here in a few days. I am still wanting to stay with a sport bike, something in the 600 class but still have a comfortable riding bike that I'm not having to lean to far forward all the time. I sat on a few, the GSXR, a few different Ninjas, and a few others. I really liked the YZF600R, the only downside I had to it so far was the seat height. I'm 5'6" and this was a pretty tall bike but it was still comfortable. I'm leaning towards this bike heavily. Are there any downsides or problems with these bikes that you can give me a heads up on?

2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

You might to have to visit a YZR or ZZR forum to see if there's anything model specific that could be problem prone or problematic.

But yes, at 5f6 sitting on a sport bike with a leaned over posture, you are height challenged. Just try hard not to drop it, but chances are that you will anyway. So put on some sliders (aka crash bungs, crash mushrooms) to protect the frame/fairing and if possible do the same thing to the bar ends.

3. Lone Wolff

Lone Wolff Tire World...

4. TFin04

TFin04

I owned a YZF, great bikes.

HIGHLY recommended, just what you're looking for. Sporty, easy on insurance, comfy and rock solid reliability.

The seat hight is fairly high. I'm 5'10" and it fit me fine.

Great bikes, I can't say enough about them.

5. 357glocker

357glocker

I went out and picked it up this morning from a dealer in Fremont. Brand new '06 $6800 out the door! The seat height is comfortable enough, I don't see any problems as I can almost flat foot the ground when stopped. It'll just take a little time to adjust from the mighty 250 Ninja!
    I'll get some pics posted soon.

6. TFin04

TFin04

Good choice!

You should only be putting one foot down while stopped anyway, so you should no problem flat footing while your right holds the rear brake.

7. 357glocker

357glocker

After riding this bike 232 miles today I am in :hearts: It was amazing not getting tossed around the Hwy from semi's like on my 250. This bike is very comfortable, and my @$$ didn't hurt after spending all that time on it. I'm not having any trouble with the balance at the stop. It's not as bad I was thinking. I'll be in for the 600mi initial service in no time!

8. TFin04

TFin04

There is a great resource for these bikes at yzf600r.com.

A stable bike she is. I miss mine more every day...

9. 357glocker

357glocker

I see, the GT of YZF's. Thanks!

10. 357glocker

357glocker

TFin04,
    When you had your YZF did it shift into gears pretty "clunky"? I can really hear them clunk into gear. 1st to 2nd is the worst but all of them I can hear. Is this common on these bikes, or is it just the breaking in? Only had the time to put on 20 miles tonight but forgot to ask when I was riding it yesterday.

11. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

The clunkiness of the gear shift is both due to newness AND from not having top notch transmission. I don't know of too many non-sport bikes that have really smooth gear shift. Most of the time they either clunk into place or vaguely fall into gear.

12. TFin04

TFin04

Yamaha is known for the clunkbox. All YZF's do it, it's really no big deal. You'll hear it most from 1st to 2nd and vice versa. The YZF is known for some 2nd gear issues after it gets a couple years old, usually towards the 10k mile mark. I would suggest installing the factory pro shift kit ($70 and easy install) while it is new as it will help lengthen the life on the box.

Try to stay out of 2nd as your powerhouse gear. I know it is easy because 2nd is where all your power is and works anywhere from in town to highway riding. My solution was to install a -1 sproket on the front and a +2 sprocket on the rear. You get the same power out of 3rd gear now, which extends the overall life of your gearbox. You lose top end, but its the difference of like 130mph and 115. It all feels the same after 80 anyway.

I'm still used to the YZF box. When I'm riding my SV650 I notice myself shifting too many times because I don't think it moved gears. This thing shifts soooo quietly.

13. NMGlocker

NMGlocker BOOM headshot

After the initial breakin, switch to a quality synthetic oil and it'll help the shifting and gearbox longevity.
    I've been using Repsol Synthetic in my '05 ZX10R since the 500 mile mark, it made a lot of difference in shifting and clutch feel.

14. TFin04

TFin04

Good advice. I used Amsoil for motorcycles in mine (just be sure the bottle says it is safe for a wet clutch) and it does help shifting quite a bit.

15. 357glocker

357glocker

Here are some pics of the bike.

16. ranger88

ranger88 CLM

She's a beauty. I thought about getting one of these at one time and came to regret not picking one up. They're supposed to be very comfortable and perfect for light duty sport-touring duty. Keep us updated on how the bike and you are getting along.

Good luck and good riding.

17. TFin04

TFin04

Looks good bro.

There are some easy ways to clean up the fender on the back. Check out the "fender eliminator" posts o yzf600r.com.

Also, I've got a D&D slip on pipe for that bike still kicking around. Its in great shape if you're interested. D&D is a loud and throaty pipe, much different from the stock can.

If you're looking to do a new pipe send me a PM, I'll give ya a good price.

18. 357glocker

357glocker

Typed in fender eliminator for the search funtion on the yzf forum, but I'm not real sure what you're getting at. What are you meaning by clean up the fender on the back? If you're referring to the light blue spot under the seat that is a reflection. There's nothing wrong with the paint. If you're talking about a modification, I think I'm gonna leave her stock for now. What do the D&D pipes do? Are they for looks or do they add performance/sound?

19. RichBaker

RichBaker

Don't SPEEDSHIFT!!! 2nd gear problems are caused by not completely getting into gear on a power shift. The trans pops back into neutral, bends the shift fork and keeps getting worse every time the rider screws up. It happens to 2nd because of the bigger motion required to get past neutral. If you make a solid, deliberate shift to 2nd, it will not cause problems...
    The Factory Pro shift kit will make it worse, because the stronger spring makes the shift more difficult. All it is a band-aid masking a bigger problem. Good shifting technique will prevent problems!!