close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

YOUUCH!! My Glock Bit Me!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Lead Poison, May 18, 2002.

1. Lead Poison

Lead Poison

I have a G27 that I like very much, but when shooting, the web of my hand between thumb and index finger gets "mauled." Maybe I am in the habit of getting a high grip because I shoot a 1911 most of the time possibly contributing to problem. Anyone else need a tetanus shot after a little rangetime? Any suggestions to stop/decrease this?
    I love my glock, but it don't love me back. ;u
    TIA,
    L.P.

2. HydraShok

HydraShok Millennium Member

Put an Agrip on it.

Agrip Link

I bought mine from topglock.com

3. noway

noway

Save the money that you would spend on the agrip and spend it at the range getting range time and holding the glock properly. If you are not holding the gun correctly and buy a agrip , then you will be wasting you're money by not learning the proper hold.

(imho)
    You're hand should never be that high up or ride up the back strap to cover that "tang" to be bitten by slide.

Practice a lot of dry fire and manually racking the slide to get a feel as to where you hand should be at. I think if you are holding the glock as where you hand "web" gets in the way of the slide you either have one the following issues;

1> You are gripping the gun to lightly and walking you're hand upwards on the grip once you start a firing session, by shifting you're grip.

2> You are not place you're hand correctly on the grip when drawing gun and firing

I had a friend of my that was doing this and as soon as he whent to a strong side hold only his problems whent away. We made a conclusion that he was re-adjusting his grip while using the 2 hand hold.

just my 0.02...

4. reptiman

reptiman Go Ducks

Kinda funny story...

The first time I took my G22 out to the range (my first pistol 5 yrs ago) and *I guess* my thumb was sticking up a little behind the slide. Fired the first round and got bit. The slide ripped my fingernail in half and it was "leaking" pretty good. My buddies found it funny, but I learned a nice little lesson. :cool:

5. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

I received a cut thumb from my G30 when it was fairly new. It happened to my weak hand while I was using a two handed grip. It only took one of those to learn how not to hold the Glock. ;K

6. badbilly429

badbilly429

i put a pachmyr grip sleeve on my 27 it doesnt look as funky as the a grip, and it works good and it eleviated that problem for me.

7. Steve Koski

Steve Koski Got Insurance? Millennium Member

I find it hard to believe that a grip sleeve, no matter what the make, will cure the problem of an extremely high grip on the gun. Call me crazy...

8. hoofsnipper

hoofsnipper just a member

i havent personally been bitten by mine, but at the range ive seen several shooters get it, and they all have one thing in common. none of them have been thru a gun safety course. try that before just buying a grip. thats not really solving the problem. eventually u may be hurt or someone else. be careful.;1

9. Jobe

Jobe

My father tried shooting it revolver style.
    Needless to say, his thumb was badly torn open.
    I couldn't feel sorry for him because I warned him several times.

I have also seen guys at the range rip thier thumbnails off by holding thier thumbs up back behind the slide.

Ya just got to roll your eyes I suspose.;Q

Jobe

10. Jarhead27

Jarhead27

If you are accustom to an extended beaver tail of the 1911, then you should check out the awesome customization from robar guns. They can put an extended beavertail on your glock.

http://www.robarguns.com/glock1.asp

-------------------------------------------
    A superior combat handgunner is best defined
    as one who uses his superior judgement to avoid
    situations requiring the use of his superior
    skills.

11. Apiarian

Apiarian

Note that he didn't say that the slide was doing the damage. He is probably talking about the grip.

I do not have this problem, therefore I can only speculate.
    I don't know how anyone could hold the grip lower and still be safe.
    It sounds like a magazine extension might help. This would allow the third gripping finger or pinky to help stabilize the gun when firing. Also you might be using too hot a load. The other option is to work on holding tighter with the ring finger, (I know sounds a little strange.) Finally, try the 165gr Blazer I find it a fairly pleasant round in my 27 and good for the range.

Have fun, be safe.

12. squintbro

squintbro Kimber Ultra

13. Jarhead27

Jarhead27

squintbro,

You can email them to email you a complete price list of modifications. The lastest list I have says $125 for beavertail fabrication. I personally have not had this done. My Glocks don't bite their owner.

14. CanadianGlockFan

CanadianGlockFan

I sometimes get the same sort of thing when my grip is a little too high; the slide doesn't snag me, but the bottom edge of the striker takes a little divot out of the top of that web between my thumb and index finger.

15. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

Shoot more... you'll eventually develop a callas.

16. 132

Interesting. I've never heard of anyone getting bit by a Glock using a standard (correct) grip.

17. shooter2

shooter2 Millennium Member

My 23 took a bite out of me at a tactical class last weekend. I have a 1/4" dia. wound between my thumb and forefinger where the back edge of the tang rubbed away a few layers of skin. Normally this isn't an issue, but in high-volume situations (class was 900 rounds in 2 days) with full-house loads, it gets rather uncomfortable. I should've taped my hand before we started shooting, I guess!

18. CarlosDJackal

CarlosDJackal

I've it it take as much as 2 magazines wrth for some people to learn this very same lesson. ;f

19. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Any of you guys have large hands? If I've worked hard and go to the range that evening I can get some rubbing of the slide over my right hand. My hands swell and it's got nothing to do with proper grip. The worst case was when we had technical rescue training all day on a 300 foot tower (lots of climbing) and I then went to a "draw" class that night. We shot 200 rounds and I ended up with two skinny little raw spots on my hand. That was fun. ;Q