Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once upon a time, there was a free service called Youtube. Someone could post a video on how to do something, for example, change tail light bulbs on a car. You could thing search the concept and see the video. You could book mark it. You could download it.

Now, fast forward to 2020.
Well, some software was put in at Youtube so that you could no longer just download the video. Aah, you pay Youtube for the software or try to find it for free.

Well, when you now click on some new Youtube videos, lo and behold! There might be a commercial at the beginning and somewhere also in the middle of the "free video". You want it ad free, get out your wallet.

What will the future bring? How about, no access at all without paying a small fee?

My response:
1. I have 1/2 dozen old hard drives that I took from old computers, wiped clean, and put in external cases. They have sat around empty for a while now.
2. I found a free app for Firefox and downloaded it this am. Took a while to figure out, but it is done.
3. I ran a test. Youtube has not gotten around to destroying some of the old Youtube videos with advertisements.
4. I have a number of interests, ranging from archery to restoration of old tools.
5. I have what I want to copy categorized.
6. I am now downloading a number of videos onto recycled hard drives.

I looked at the capacity of usb sticks and compared that with the old hard drives, and the price of using an old hard drive convinced me to use them. You could probably use cloud storage - and run the risk of that crashing as well.

One of my motivations was the experience of watching Hulu change from a free service into a pay . . pay . . pay service. I want to keep my video references and I do not trust Youtube not to change.

·
Registered
13,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Indy. I found one. I use the Firefox add on.

Right now, the new youtube videos are having advertisements stuck at the beginning and another after a few minutes. Of course, you can PAY $ to Youtube and eliminate the ads.

Base upon my life experience, I don't doubt that the next business model will be to not allow access without paying a small monthly fee. And, so, I am downloading the older videos "how tos" onto the recycled hard drives.

·
Registered
27,988 Posts
Thank you Indy. I found one. I use the Firefox add on.

Right now, the new youtube videos are having advertisements stuck at the beginning and another after a few minutes. Of course, you can PAY $ to Youtube and eliminate the ads.

Base upon my life experience, I don't doubt that the next business model will be to not allow access without paying a small monthly fee. And, so, I am downloading the older videos "how tos" onto the recycled hard drives.
Firefox also has an adblock add on that should block a vast majority of those ads. I honestly can't remember the last time I saw one

I've never used the FF add on to download YouTube, but there are several sites you can go to, paste the link to the video you want, and about 40sec later you can download it.

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
This will stop when people stop using YouTube. Till then they will push to make themselves richer. It’s as simple as that. Americans are too addicted to their dancing monkeys to stop though and YouTube, Bookface... all know it.

·
Registered
13,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I finished the project yesterday.
Based upon my life experience of experiencing technology changes, I ended up with the following:
1. a new three ring binder as a reference folder for common cleaning or maintenance situations for the house and the car that did not require a video.
2. multiple recycled former hard drives that had videos organized by area of interest - like knots/first aid/archery, etc.

These new items are in addition to the existing stored paper and digital manuals on everything in the home ranging from the t.v. to the pressure cooker.

·
Anti-Federalist
21,679 Posts
YouTube isn't going anywhere and ads have always paid pay the bills. Don't want the ads? You pay the bills. Nothing is "free".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts