close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Youth 20ga shot-guns...Ideas?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by bno762, Jan 10, 2010.

1. bno762

bno762

I am thinking of getting my son a 20ga for his 9th birthday in a couple of months. I need to keep the costs down because of a paycut. He has been asking for a shotgun for the last year or so and I think he'd love to go bust some clays with me and my older son. So any ideas on a cheap 20ga youth shotgun would be appreciated.

I have thought of a Rossi or H&R single shot...but wasn't sure if it'd be a good clays gun.

BTW Clays to me means putting clays on the thrower and letn 'em fly. I don't go to the big range and shoot skeet or trap. We just hang out and shoot singles and doubles.

2. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

Find an old used 870 and slap a kiddy stock on it-then when grown a bit put the man stock back on

The extra weight both hurts & helps
    The single shots kicks pretty good for little un's
    I KNOW- I had a single 12 ga as a kid-I loved it but ANY CHANCE I could I'd lug the 12 ga heavy pump around
    Doing chores after a GOOD day of grouse with the single:crying:ouch
    870 20's are sweet

I do like Single shots for clays-makes me concentrate

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010

3. Janno05

Janno05

I'd find a youth 20 ga 870. My first shotgun was a little HR youth model 20 ga and it kicks worse than my 12 ga 870.

4. vafish

vafish

I teach more than a few kids to shoot. A 9 year old will have trouble holding up an 870 or 500 pump gun even in the youth models. By the time they are 12-13 they should be able to handle the pump guns just fine.

A friend of mine picked up the Rossie Combo gun with a 20 ga barrel and .22LR barrel for about $150.

It's a nice little gun and we've used it on 3 scout shooting camp outs, put probably 1,000-1,500 round through it in that time.

My one complaint about the gun is that it comes with a hard plastic butt plate. What type of fool makes a light weight 20 ga gun for kids with a hard plastic butt plate? It was painful to shoot until we remedied that situation.

A nice advantage to the Rossi is that it comes with a .22LR barrel the kids live shooting as well. They also make a "Trifecta" model that comes with a .243 barrel as well.

5. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

Remington youth 870 is always a solid and sound choice. Thats what I got for my son---but now that he is nearly grown, I ordered an adult size stock to replace the youth one with the shorter length of pull, so except for the shorter barrel, he basically now has an adult sized 20 gauge 870 express.

But you may want to take a look at Mossbergs youth 20---the forearm is closer to the action so the kid does not have to stretch his arm out as far. The mossberg also has spacers in the stock that can be added/removed so the stock can be adjusted as the youth grows. I have a relative who just bought one for his son, and I was impressed.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  6. bno762

bno762

I think I'm leaning towards this one....maybe put a decent recoil pad on it. That was one of the main drawback of the single shot.

7. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Just some advice, a 20g shotgun does not have a lot less recoil than a 12g. It will be too much for even the biggest 9 year old and even dangerous for him to shoot. In fact I cannot tell the difference in recoil between a 12g Remington 870 and one in 20g

Get him a .410 single shot.

8. bno762

bno762

I've never shot a 20ga and just assumed it would be the better choice. He's shot my 12 ga pump and my 12ga a-5. Couldn't really aim it well or hold it up very good. I'll think about the .410bore. Thanks for the input Cole125.

9. RedTape

RedTape

I got an 870 Youth model when I was 10. Great gun. I don't remember having any trouble shooting it. I've shot a lot of ducks with that thing and still use it. Love the short barrel. The 870 would be a much better choice. Throw a cheap recoil pad on it when he's bigger and he can shoot it for the rest of his life.

10. SHG21

SHG21

my first shotgun was a 20ga wingmaster that the old man bought me for christmas one year. Great gun.

11. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

I just bought my som a Mossberg Super Bantam 20ga. Has the adjustable stock on it. Came with the short smooth bore barrel and the ported slug barrel with integral rail. If you could find a used one it could come cheap, but even new they are around 300.

12. Fed Five Oh

Fed Five Oh NRA Member

Find a used Remington 1100 or 1187 in 20 gauge.

A used 1100 with fixed choke barrel will be close to the same price of a new 870express.

The felt recoil with the semi-auto will be alot less than the pump or heaven forbid, the single shot.

13. GlockontheRocks

GlockontheRocks

I started my son with a 20ga. single shot at age 9. He later was purchased a winchester 20ga pump. He's 13 now and is shooting an 1100 LT20. He can handle a pump 12 or auto 12. He prefers the .20ga. auto. He does well with it. He's not really physically big. 5'3" about 130.