GlockTalk Forum banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
NRA Patron Life Member
13,417 Posts
This same question was asked (several times) in the past.

My previous answer was -
Apparently, you’ve never experienced your wife/significant other go through menopause. For me, I’d wake up my wife and tell her somebody is downstairs.
She would grab her rubber hose, filled with sand, and go take care of business.

IF intruders get past her, I’m grabbing the dog, and going out the bedroom window.

Now, since she’s had both hips replaced, she’s not as inclined to ‘whoop’ anybody’s butt.

I guess I’ll have to wipe the dust off of the ole double-barrel.

·
Registered
9,168 Posts
No you aren't. Get a good WML and learn how to properly utilize it.
So you have your light point in a different direction than the where the gun is shooting? I am not sure you understand how they are designed to be mounted. I have used them on a range and the light points where it shoots. I am sure you are going to tell me all about the spill, yeah I am not willing to point that close to my children. Maybe you are.

How many people that buy weapon mounted lights go to hundreds of hours of tactical training on how to use them and practice with them until they use them properly every single time? They can't keep their fingers off the trigger under stress why would they be any better with the lights?

I am sure you are a well trained, master pistol tactician, and shot, but 99% of people with pistols are not. I have been to the range and watched, I repeat, they are not.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Truth be told that when hearing a noise that is not right in the middle of the night and your awoken from a deep sleep, you will be completely out of sorts and not a lot of time to think.
This very thing happened to a friend of mine who I play golf with regularly. He awoke to glass breaking in his house, lives in a two story, and knew it was down stairs. He grabbed his Glock, which he keeps next to his bed, went down stairs and confronted a guy coming through his living room window.
I asked him did he shoot and he said no, that once the intruder came in he told him to freeze while his wife was already dialing 911. The guy complied and was arrested. Even though our state has a castle doctrine which he could’ve easily used he felt that with his disorientation and being woken up so abruptly that the best thing to do was to hold the perp until the cops showed.
Cops told him it would’ve been a nightmare had he shot him, even though he was in the right to do so, that the DA and prosecutors would have made his life miserable. Had the guy not complied and tried to attack him, he’d have better luck with the DA.
As it was this guy who broke in was drunk, thinking it was someone he knew house and was charged with felony B&E and sent away for 5 years.
Needless to say he said he would have done the same thing had it happened again. Tough to say exactly what you do.

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
I have a nice, dark, easily accessed, and somewhat armored ambush point. They'll probably recognise the bright flash right before the shot charge insides them out!
I live alone and NO ONE comes in without calling first!

*Not that I'm trying to get on the cover of Soldier Of Fortune, just somebody in that house after hours better have real good reason!

·
Have you seen me?
12,759 Posts
If I lived alone, I could see myself doing this. Only, strobe lights would be activated and maybe "Creeping Death" from Metallica playing, with some maniacal laughter just below the music.

Alternative songs include "Battery", "Fight Fire with Fire" or "Damage, Inc" - all from Metallica. I have a theme, lol.

·
Registered
19,932 Posts
I am not a fan of gun mounted lights for clearing a house where other people live. I would rather hold the flashlight in my left hand and my gun in my right. When you have a gun mounted light you are pointing the gun every where you are looking. If your flashlight, lights up your child you are pointing a loaded gun at them. I am not comfortable with that. Some people have poor trigger finger placement, and if startled by a family member they could accidently shoot them as a result.

If you have a sufficiently bright flashlight, it will give you time to get a gun on target.
We have lights on our duty guns. We use them for searches. We use the spill and also turn on light switches as we are clearing. Not hard to do. Just train and keep skills up

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
No you aren't. Get a good WML and learn how to properly utilize it.
Bingo...totally agree and despise that argument against weapon lights. You can basically flood a whole room without pointing the gun at anyone unless they are Spider-Man or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Not from my cold dead clutching hands
568 Posts
Living in NY, I would grab my G26 hanging next to my bed, open my safe and remove all valuables, throw them outside the bedroom door so the bg won't be inconvenienced, then take the bride out the window thus fulfilling my obligation to retreat. That's life in a Communist state.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Well, just be careful. You don't want to be this guy....

Michigan man shoots wife after mistaking her for an intruder, sheriff says

https://abcnews.go.com/US/michigan-man-shoots-wife-mistaking-intruder-sheriff/story?id=64317617
beat me to it.

Grew up in a crappy neighborhood then managed crappy apartments in a crappy neighborhood. Had to deal with idiots a few times.

Turn on light, grab gun, start yelling. Heard pounding feet a few times. Only used a gun once. Meth Head was kicking in my door. Knocked him down the stairs with a shotgun.

The sound that wakes me with a total adrenaline rush is dripping water.

If someone is already in the house, they will hear you get up and have that stupid conversation where you whisper “Do you hear something?”
care to explain this

all this talk of kids has me laughing. I have never been around kids until the past few years, my girl has a couple. at first it was positively torture. every move would wake me up. now I can lay in bed and tell if they are getting up for a valid purpose, and go back to sleep. or if they are up to no good and can call 'em out on it. it is funny how innocent, and clueless they are. the sound of a TV remote being quickly dragged off a table will have me up and in that room in a split second. but they think they are slick. the other night I got the older one good. we were watching tv in living room. I heard him do his best stealthy exit from his bedroom and tip toe shuffle down the hallway (read: fully grown drunk would be quieter) to the corner wall facing the living room. I got up and stood up against the wall, when his head peered around to see where we were all he saw was me and scurried right back to bed. the OH CRAP look was priceless.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I love Full Clip, I listen then go back to sleep . A buddy had glass brake and all kind of noise woke up and took his Jenning 22 went down stairs , guy he did not know passed out he screwed the 22 into his ear and called police . they hauled the dude away .

41 - 60 of 94 Posts