Your thoughts on my snubby decision

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Kulprit, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Kulprit

Kulprit

I am in the market for a ccw .357 magnum snubby. this will get carried everyday. i've narrowed it down to 2 choices.

S&W M&P 340

Ruger SP101 2.25" DAO

My soul is practically being ripped in half trying to decide between them:crying:. I'll list my thoughts on both.

ruger pros
    -BEAUTIFUL:shocked:
    -Built like a tank
    -Plenty of aftermarket parts
    -Cheaper than S&W

ruger cons
    -HEAVY
    -Larger than S&W (i'm a skinny guy)

s&w pros
    -Very Light (half the weight of the ruger)
    -Very Small
    -Plenty of aftermarket parts

s&w cons
    -long term magnum reliability?
    -EXPENSIVE:shocked:

So, those are my thoughts. I just feel like i need to combine the best attributes of each gun into my dream wheelgun. What are your thoughts? Help sway me! Thanks!

edit: i am NOT recoil sensitive, so that does not enter the equation. i know the s&w is harsh, but this will only be shot to stay proficient. i have alot of practice with J frames.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  2. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

3. 427

4. GlockFish

GlockFish Floyd

The SP101 is a pleasure to shoot 357's through. Especially with a rubber Hogue grip. Conceals so good you forget it's there. Has no internal lock. To me the Ruger wins. It's no contest if you want a small 357.

5. fastbolt

fastbolt

Lightest weight for daily carry, better size for pocket (holster) carry, good trigger and best sights? M&P 340. (I own 2 of them, with & without the ILS. ;) )

Better belt gun, better stock grips, better level of felt recoil & recoil management with actual Magnum loads (especially for frequent practice)? SP101 DAO 2.25" (I own one of these, too.)

Carrying my older M649 Bodyguard (.38 Spl model) and my SP101, using other than belt holsters, was the reason I eventually picked up my first 642-1. (I own a pair of them.)

Now, I look at the M&P 340 as basically an "improved" 642 ... meaning stainless cylinder (blackened/PVD), stronger Scandium aluminum frame and the excellent XS front night sight. (Which I find is faster to "center" in the M&P's rear U-notch than when using my larger Big Dot front night sight, trying to squarely align it on top of the express notch in one of my pistols.)

While I've used Magnum loads for occasional quals & practice (and found a couple that didn't exhibit bullet pull when I'm shooting), I typically carry one or another .38 Spl +P loads in mine. Why? Even faster recoil management, controllability, recovery & practical accuracy during rapid shot strings. If I wanted to exclusively shoot Magnum loads I'd have picked up a new 640/649 for the heavier weight of the all-steel guns.

The standard XS front night sight on the M&P's is faster to acquire (for my older eyes) than the painted front sights on my other J's and my SP101. (I've been thinking about installing a XS front sight on my 101.)

Now, I own 7 J-frames and the SP101.

Day in & day out, I carry one of my M&P 340's more often than any of the others. I actually carry my first M&P 340 (with the lock) more often than the newer one, and use it for my "range snub".

The SP101 sees range use, but not much carry use anymore. If I want to carry something that heavy, I'll pick one of my compact/subcompact pistols. ;)

6. Kulprit

Kulprit

Thanks for all the quick responses. Fastbolt, your comparisons are exactly what i was looking for. I have the feeling the weight of the sp101 is going to be its downfall for me, but i still can't get it out of my head. I wish S&W still made the regular, bare bones 360 (non m&p). They were more reasonably priced.

Also, both of these options would be getting wood grips (badger for the sp101 and altamont for the smith). i HATED carrying my 442 with the rubber grips, couldn't draw it without getting snagged on everything.

thanks again for current and future helpful posts.

7. bac1023

bac1023

8. Kulprit

Kulprit

bac, i was hoping you'd chime in. care to expand on the smith recommendation? thanks

9. zackwatt

zackwatt That's a Bingo! Lifetime Member

The Smith, but I prefer the .38 special version (442/642) at a much lower price.

10. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

S&W.

Why tote around a BRICK (spelled R U G E R), when you can carry a lightweight revolver that will do what you need to do.

A concealed carry weapon (in my not-so-humble opinion) should be easy to carry, and not have to worry about weight/bulk.

IF you get a heavy handgun for carry, you'll wind up not carrying it, and won't have it, when you need it most!!

11. Lowjiber

Lowjiber

Ditto IMHO.

12. Bill Keith

Bill Keith

Skip the .357, it is too brutal, too much flash, and uncomfortable as hell. A snubbie is a close in fighting gun, and a 38 +P will do the job if you do yours.:wavey:
    I have the SP101 and a J frame model 36. The J frame is easiest to carry and conceal.:cool:

13. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

dude, that's creepy

go with the lighter firearm

14. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Smith and Wesson is the better firearm ..slightly (IMO) but I prefer the feel of the SP101. I own one of the 3" 357 and love it as a ccw.

15. TN.Frank

TN.Frank "Don't Tread On Me!"

In 357Mag the Ruger wins hands down especially if you get the 3" option. Now if you want to talk 38spl then a 442/642 wins all the way.

16. Bruce M

Bruce M

To me the S&W J frame is appreciably easier to carry. My guess though is that for many people a .357 in the 340 is going to be a bit painful. I know it is in a 360. Especially if cost is a concern, I would opt for one of the less expensive .38 versions.

17. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

answered your own question!:cool:

18. ronin.45

ronin.45

Smith!

And don't fool yourself into thinking magnums are necessary. Put some good .38+P in there. You and the bad guy will have plenty of power.

19. MNBud

MNBud

Don't forget to look at the Smith 638, gives you everything the 642 does plus the option of double action.

20. TN.Frank

TN.Frank "Don't Tread On Me!"

I had a Ruger SP101, 357Mag with the 2"(and some odd fraction) barrel and it was doable with Mag ammo but I still carried it with 38spl +P.
    I currently have a 642 Airweight and even with standard pressure 158gr LRN stuff it has a pretty healthy recoil. Not big but really snappy. I'd think a 357Mag in a gun this size would be pretty much unbearable to shoot.
    Save a few bucks, get a snub in 38spl unless you get the extra heft of the Ruger SP101 with a 3" bbl(357Mag is useless with a 2" bbl IMHO) then it'll have enough running room and heft to do some work with.