Your reloading inventory - take a closer look

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Kentguy, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Taterhead

Taterhead Nightshade

Yeah, not seeing much here that seems different than the steps taken by a prudent reloader. That includes not reloading ammo into cases that have been wrecked by automatic firearms. The need to use proper bullets, charge weights and primers in good brass with correct neck tension and headspace is mostly universal.

Thank you for the detailed write up.

Greg Snyder likes this.
  2. Samuel_Hoggson

Samuel_Hoggson

I don't worry much about neck tension in my non-NFA stuff. Just want uniform. Over on Accurate Reloading there's a recent thread concerning neck tension that suggests it doesn't matter whether you have alot or just a little....insofar as accuracy is concerned.

Let's look at 9mm. Glocks are controlled feed. Rims slide under the extractor and bullets encounter a very nicely contoured feed ramp and mag lips. Risk of telescoping is very low, hence the well-deserved Glock reputation for feeding about anything. Take a look at a picture of a open bolt gun's bolt face. Very different. Push feed, not controlled. And the firing pin is a dimple on the bolt face. Feed ramps are typically crude - work well enough with fmjs, and not much else. There's also the not so widely understood concept of advanced primer ignition - the primer is set off before the round is fully chambered.

Never saw a MG shooter paying 50-75 cents/empty for Lapua .223 or .308. Guys that reload for MGs buy the least expensive brass they can find. But if they're smart (and most are, very) they take the extra steps, cull the overstretched cases. Same goes for bullets - might have to cull some bulk pulls. Nobody is loading Bergers.

The MG game is about low-cost ammo. Yet very little of what goes downrange at shoots are reloads. A very educated guess is well under 5% (most all .50 BMG) at the shoots I attend.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019

3. Kentguy

Kentguy

I took a look at this program; it is quite impressive. I mentioned before that I use Excel to keep track of my inventory for components and finished ammunition. One of my friends' kids, who is very tech-savvy, set it up for me.
    I still do a fair amount of shooting and reloading so it really does help me keep up to date on everything at a glance.

As was the point of this discussion, whatever your inventory control method happens to be, this would be a good time to take a closer look and update things. An example: In the Spring I updated the containers that I have to keep powder in for long term storage.

I found it is a balance between your perceived needs vs how much your shoot vs how much $$$ you have in your wallet. :juggle: As a general rule, I have found that it is better to have - than to wish you did have!

4. fredj338

fredj338

All of those things are under the control of the person setting up the dies & doing the reloading. I am sure full auto is much harder on ammo than semi but Dillon started his progressive business based on his love for full auto & feeding them.

5. fredj338

fredj338

There are several simple inventory apps for your phone. Its what I use because I have my phone when some calls me & asks if I need something or someone at the range asks me.

6. Lagamor

Lagamor

Anyone have a favorite mold maker. I have a few Mihec’s that make great hollow points.
    But I just bought my first mold from Accurate Molds. And I’m really impressed with it.
    It doesn’t have anything fancy. No hollowpoint pins, no lube grooves.
    It does have a bevel base, going to load my first batch in a few hours with it. Think I’m going to like it a lot.

fredj338 likes this.
  7. Taterhead

Taterhead Nightshade

Accurate molds are excellent, and you can get almost any profile and block material you want, as long as it is a flat point.

My favorite molds to cast with, by a ways, are my 4 cav LBT molds.

NOE makes nice molds too. The two I had ran too fat for my needs, so I sold them. Otherwise great casting and good people to deal with. Their M style expander plugs are worth a look too.

If you only need 2 cavities, RCBS are surprisingly nice molds.

Wouldn't by a new Lyman or a Lee 2 cavity. Period.

Lagamor likes this.
  8. fredj338

fredj338

I have a few Accurate mds. Tom is great to deal with & if it isnt there, he can make what you want.

Taterhead and Lagamor like this.
  9. Lagamor

Lagamor

I like that bevel base. Very few bullets felt like they weren’t in right and none of them scrapped when going in.
    Who makes the LBT molds?

10. ROGER4314

ROGER4314 Friends Call Me "Flash"

I read through the thread from front to back and see that my philosophy of reloading is different than most.

I retired after a lifetime of travel and adventure and planned to spend the balance of my life working on guns and reloading. That used my home as a center point with no traveling at all.

Those reloads are my creations. I don't worry about cost and if the cartridges cost $1.00 each, so what? I made that round and celebrate the performance of that cartridge! When it performs better and more accurately than factory ammo, that's even better!

The equipment and supplies stocked here at home, completely separates me from political or commercial factors and I can have stuff to work on for retirement.

Component records are kept on paper but no spreadsheet.

Flash

fredj338 and mike from st pe like this.
  11. njl

njl Crusty Member

I’m curious what inventory apps people are using (particularly for iPhone).

12. Taterhead

Taterhead Nightshade

LBT is Lead Bullet Technologies. Veral Smith is the proprietor and one of the legends in bullet profile design. He's getting up there in age, so snag one soon if you want one!

He's old school, though. Print an order form from his site. Complete it with a pen and mail it with your check. Eventually a mold will arrive in your mailbox. His book, "Jacketed Performance with Cast Bullets" is a must read.

Expensive. But his are the easiest for me to get terrific casts repeatedly. He'll also spend time in the phone with you to get a bullet style and fit for your gun. I'm a fan, you can tell!

http://lbtmolds.com/

fredj338 and Lagamor like this.
  13. fredj338

fredj338

I have one called srock room. Free download, customizable, search feature works for me.

14. fredj338

fredj338

Or accurate will make the identical mold, alum, iron or brass, about 2 weeks.

15. Taterhead

Taterhead Nightshade

I love my aluminum Accurate mold too and Tom's CS is stellar. I'd NEVER talk anyone out of ordering one.

Veral is well known for fitting a mold to a chamber/throat. Tom's profiles are limited to flat points (not an issue for most situations) whereas Veral can cut a RN or Spitzer.

Just a personal preference, but I just love casting with the LBTs best.

fredj338 and Lagamor like this.
  16. fredj338

fredj338

I dont order many RN designs but I do wish tom could make them. If that isnt the issue, tom will design your mold anyway you want though.

Taterhead likes this.
  17. Lagamor

Lagamor

I’ve had some success and failures with casting. I’ve learned the hard way that the KISS principle works well
    My first molds were hollowpoint molds(too soon). Casting for a tight throated CZ 9mm gave me months of fits and I almost gave up altogether.
    Then the last batch of medical lead I scored had cadmium in it. I knew something was wrong when it melted completely at 450°. Super soft alloy.
    My last bright idea was to melt antimony into that soft lead. It worked, but what a pain in the neck. From now on I’m buying premixed antimony.
    Anyway do you guys have any advise for someone that likes to learn the hard way?

18. fredj338

fredj338

If you want to put antimony into an alloy, buy lino or monotype. Its way easier to blend that way.
    The saeco #910 is a good mold for the cz. It has a step in the nose & a small shoulder. So allows a bit longer seating rpthan some 147gr.

Lagamor likes this.
  19. Lagamor

Lagamor

147 is the way to go with 9mm. Everybody notices the lighter recoil when I switch them from 124 grain to 147 grain bullets. Even first time shooters.

fredj338 likes this.