Your opinion of Green Slime, please.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Brian Lee, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

I saw this stuff at a store the other day. After getting a flat on a bicycle, I went to get a patch kit and came across these bottles of greenish Slime that claims if you put it in a tire, you just never get flats. You can pull nails out, and they self-seal. They also had Slime branded bicycle inner tubes too, that I guess already have a coating of the stuff inside them, so they're supposedly flat-proof. It looks like they suggest adding about a half a pound of this **** to each tire on a bicycle, so I guess on a 29+ bike with 3" wide tires, it would take even more to work.

I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of using this stuff rather than just being prepared to fix a flat anywhere, anytime.

What do you know about this stuff? Does it wind up ruining your best tire gauge eventually? Does it work?

2. Maine

Maine

I've been using their product for probably 20 years on 4 wheeler tires with good results. I actually just bought some of their tubes last week for my nephew's bike. They're a little on the heavy side if you're trying to keep your bike weight down but seem well made.

Edit: It always worked and I never had a problem with any pumps or gauges.

3. All Pro Sports Hero

All Pro Sports Hero

Rats, I thought this thread would be about one of my favorite "toys" from the 70's.

[​IMG]

LASTRESORT20 and OregonG20 like this.
  4. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

Great old scifi flick!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LASTRESORT20 likes this.
  5. Caver 60

Caver 60

I've used it in wheelbarrow tires, farm implement tires, etc. But I personally would not use it in a vehicle for highway use type tire. I'm afraid it might affect tire balance or something.

6. tattooo

tattooo

I would NEVER put that in an on road vehicle ..... it's great for off road stuff or tractors etc....

janice6 likes this.
  7. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

Worse- in vehicle tires ... The use of any kind of 'flat-fixit' goo is dis-recommended for all tires running the 'govt knows best' air pressure reporting "TPMS" sensors, 'cuz they quit working and they're $60 to replace ... :frown:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  8. de8212

de8212 Millennium Member

I used it on my mountain bike years ago. Somehow it gummed up the presta valve. It was a pain for me to add air to it for years. Finally just replaced the tube.

So, in a emergency, i might use it but never if i have another choice.

stopatrain and TBO like this.
  9. xArcher

xArcher

Good point on TPMS but my wife and daughter still have a can of fixa-flat goo in the trunk ... emergency use only.

10. Adjuster

Adjuster

I used the tube version on my scooter that has a very slow leak. Didnt work, I still have a very slow leak.

/

11. Rizzo

Rizzo Garbage Day!

I live in an area that has lots of goat-heads. It seemed like every other time I'd go on a bike ride I'd have another g-damned goat-head in the tire. I tried the inner-tubes that already have the slime in them, and they work ok. Not great, not even good, just ok. Meaning that you can pull a goat-head out of the tire, the slime stuff will seal it... for a while, and then it just becomes a slow leak. I think they're basically just good enough to get you home so you can put a real patch on, or new inner tube.

I finally said to hell with them and got some of those Kevlar-lined bike tires. They were a PITA to put on- because there's absolutely no give or stretch- but I haven't had any more flats since. I recommend just going with those. Buy once, cry once and all that.

As far as slime for car tires- I haven't really heard anything good or bad about them, but I have heard that the people that work at tire shops like to be told ahead of time if your tires have them in, because it can apparently make changing a tire a hell of a mess. (ETA: or is it Fix-A-Flat I'm thinking of?)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
    LASTRESORT20 likes this.
  12. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

I've used it in handtrucks and wheel barrows. It works.

I've heard to never put it in motorcycle tires, because when the bike sits for a while, all the goo goops to the bottom of the tire and will cause a wicked unbalance until it all spins-out evenly again.

13. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

What's with that kid on the left?

I think he's a little too young to be on acid.

14. MaxxAction

MaxxAction

Beat me to it...

I saw the trailer for this move when I was 5 and at the drive in with my uncle John, and it scared the **** out of me.

15. droidfire

droidfire

for vehicles it kicks ass.

have thrown it in tires with slow leaks and driven over 1,500 miles problem free.

love it.

LASTRESORT20 likes this.
  16. true believer

true believer Super Moderator Moderator

I remember the movie.. I saw it when it came out at the movies.. when I saw it, it was scary cool as hell.. watched it a few years ago and I could not get past the first 15 minutes..
    but brings back memories ...

and op, they sell it at all lawn care places for a quick fix.. not sure how it works but I know people complain when they have to take tire off the rim..

LASTRESORT20 likes this.
  17. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

Just carry a spare tube, a co2 cartridge inflator, and throw the tube out if you get a flat.

18. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

I think I may just do this. A spare tube doesn't weigh any more than the slime would, and a few glueless patches & some plastic tire levers as a backup to the backup isn't much to carry either. Slime sounds OK for some things, but I think I'll skip it in my bicycle and risk fixing flats.

19. cjm1023

cjm1023

I actually like the Slime Skabs for a quick patch for a puncture. As for the Slime inside the tubes, I'll pass. I wear a Camelbak with a spare tube and pump if I cant fix it. I have not had to walk a bike back yet in the Az desert, even though my time may come....

20. fjrdc

fjrdc

Used it in the tires on my '78 HONDA 750 NEVER a problem ,plus it balanced the tires (no weights)