Your most accurate handgun without...

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Gfive45, Aug 30, 2020.

1. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Honestly. Poor shooters will benefit more from the things like a lighter trigger or better ergonomics. Good shooters will also benefit from that, but to much lesser degree. One can differentiate between the pro and amateur when they talking hardware vs training. Good quality ammo makes a big difference too... when other variables are off. Cheers.

2. rlewpolar

rlewpolar

Out to 25 yards with a handgun, I’ve never noticed a huge difference in accuracy with different ammo. Either you can group or you can’t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Ok. Just an example. Groups are varying from each other quite a bit. Anything from just over an inch to five inches. Different ammo, same gun. Cheers.

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/how-accurate-is-9mm-luger-match-ammo/99175#:~:text=The Atlanta Arms 115-grain,of the 12 loads tested.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  4. rlewpolar

rlewpolar

Haha, this is exactly the answer I give when a blowhard comes in and gives black and white, know it all answers. Wasn’t my intention.

What I meant is, for pistol distances (less than 25 yards), in my experience, the shooter’s technique, especially trigger control, is way more determinant than the pistol itself or the ammo. We are talking relatively short ranges here and not shooting in a rest.

If shooting in a rest and longer distances, I’m sure the ammo would play a bigger role. If you have 10” groups at 7-10 yards, it’s probably not the ammo

TheDreadnought and Nestor like this.
  5. rlewpolar

rlewpolar

Our messages crossed. Yes, this is good data and a rest will really show the difference. Does the ammo make that much of a difference shooting offhand at 10 yards? Not convinced unless you are THAT shooter. I think it’s safe to say most shooters can’t outshoot their guns or ammo.

Nestor likes this.
  6. ScotchWhisky

ScotchWhisky HEMIs, guns, and booze

7. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

I'm sorry. I'm not that handy around the computers, so sometimes it takes me longer to respond. Please notice that I made the reference to the variables being off the picture. You are exactly right. Average shooter won't notice much difference for sure as he won't be able to take full advantage of the better gun or ammo...but nonetheless there is a difference. Let me tell you that 4" can make quite a difference between passing or failing on a course of fire. No, I am not that good BTW. Regards.

8. rlewpolar

rlewpolar

I think we are saying the same thing. I hand load and am always striving for the most accuracy out of my loads (very light loads, long OAL, relatively good components) and haven’t seen much difference between my loads and very good defensive ammo nor bottom of the barrel plinking ammo). Probably because I’m not that good either. Admittedly, I don’t have much experience with match grade ammo.

Nestor likes this.
  9. Mahalo_.357sig

Mahalo_.357sig #787 Top Gun .357sig

I built my G31 the way I wanted. For me she is perfect and shoots incredibly well with or without the Holoson 407c
    20200707_141909.jpg

GlockPolock and Mr Wasabi like this.
  10. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

The biggest difference that I have noticed was the surplus ammo vs defensive line of ammo from PPU from my model 54. That's the Chinese clone of TT33 in 7.62x25. Depending on the batch the surplus FMJ ammo is printing on average 6" to 8" groups at 15 meters (I've seen better, but not too often). Looking at these one would say that the pistol is just an old piece of junk. Well I wouldn't blame them for saying that. When I can get my hands on the Czech S&B commercial FMJ ammo, these groups are getting more like 4". Now with PPU hollow points it comes down to 3" and once or twice I've seen the group that was more like 2". That's pretty damn good in my opinion. At the same time most of the commercial ammo these days fired from the service grade handguns won't display such strong preference for one kind of ammo over another. So I can understand that my statement may be seen as controversial. Good night.

rlewpolar likes this.
  11. Powermwt

Powermwt Millennium Member

This Model 41 S&W can make anyone that can squeeze a trigger look like an expert marksman.
    [​IMG]

I think the standard is 10 shots at 50 yards within 1". This pistol is way more accurate than most shooters can possibly be!

Rinspeed likes this.
  12. sigp6

sigp6

H&K P7M8 and Steyr M(9 or 40)A1.

13. oldcop71

oldcop71

TX22, Smith M19 4" .357, Smith 4046 9mm, RIA .45 Commander. Back when I was not as shaky as I am now, I could hit B27 targets at 100 yds. Those days are gone now.

slamdunc likes this.
  14. jp3975

jp3975

Probably the most accurate are either my ruger mark II or makarov.

The mak will surprise you with how accurate they are.

15. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg

My guns are accurate whether I practice or not. I shoot them accurately because I have practiced enough in the past to be able to shoot them well.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020