close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Your funniest radio slip-ups

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by KING-PIN, Mar 20, 2010.

1. KING-PIN

KING-PIN

Let's hear them.

Mine would probably be when I took my Sergeant's car out to run an errand for him. While I was out, I got a call from a co-worker on the phone who was asking me if I could do something for him while I was out the way I was to save him a trip. I told him to hang on a second and put him on speakerphone. I picked up the mic and called my Sergeant and asked him to go to the talkaround channel we use. Once he changes over to it, I told him that I would be returning his car to him a little later than he was expecting. This is how it went.

Me: Hey, just wanted to tell you I'm doing a favor for Officer _____ and I'll be a few minutes later getting your car back to you.

Sarge: (Being funny) 10-4, next time just do it. Don't bother me. You interrupted my nap.

Me: 10-4. Didn't want you to think I was just out in your car bullshi*****.

:shocked: Oops.

I had my phone in my hand during this exchange, and was looking at it while talking and for some reason, thought I was talking on it rather than the radio. I hear the Officer I was talking to just losing his mind laughing so hard. I chuckled at how idiotic I felt.

Then, I hear him key up:

Sarge: (long dead pause).............................Uhh, give me, I can't believe you just said that, give me a call on my (department) phone NOW.

Me: 10-4...go ahead and disregard that last traffic...Central, same traffic...

I called and he said, "I'm going to pretend like this didn't happen... I'm sure the harrassment you're about to receive from everybody (everybody else on shift) will be punishment enough. Later."

I laughed my arse off for the rest of the night, and so did everyone else. Good times.

:rofl:

2. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

I once vapor locked on the phonetic alphabet and called out a plate letter "D" as "dog" (in my defense, I had just watched Band of Brothers). Heard barking on the radio and my pager all night.

3. rookie1

rookie1

Wasnt my deal but I was working and it got a lot of cars moving that way.

I have a very active Lieutenant who loves to stir things up. He was driving in one of our rough parts of town. He got on the radio and asked if anything was going on in his location he just saw 2 black males wearing all black running as fast as they could. Dispatch comes back with yes there was a armed robber that happend 2 blocks away. He get involved in a foot chase and could hear one of them say the word gun. He gets behind a phone pole and says over the radio "get more units down here and we'll clear thes mother ******* out of here" there was silence for a moment and then many officers answered to be in route to his location.

When it was all done he said to the Captain "dont worry about it I already talked to myself about it"

It was one of those times you get on the radio and say whats on your mind. Let everyone know he wanted people there. I was in FTO and knew this was a fun shift.

4. KING-PIN

KING-PIN

Too funny.

I have a buddy who will sometimes call traffic stops in using his own phonetic alphabet.

Let's say the plate is: 123 ABC

He will say: 1-2-3 Apple-Biscuit-Chicken.

First time I heard that, I almost spat my drink out.

5. KING-PIN

KING-PIN

I once had a different Sergeant that would get upset if he called for you and you didn't answer fast enough.

He said, "Unit (don't remember what it was, but insert a number here) to Officer ______." about every 3 seconds on the radio. Even if you were trying to key up and let him know you heard him, you couldn't because he would barely let off the mic long enough to let you talk.

Finally, he got really upset and keyed up and said, "Aw, God ****, Unit X to Officer ____!!!!!!!"

It was hilarious.

6. Gangrel

Gangrel

I can't say I've done said many stupid things on the radio...

However, I did inadvertently drop an F-Bomb during my swearing in with the chief.

7. Broke Hoss

Broke Hoss

Alarm at a local school. We had good perimeter set & 3 bad guys come out a door near me, but inside a fence from me. I'm key up to call for help when 1, with axe in hand starts towards me. Even with a fence between us I say "I will shoot your *****". I got help there & quick with that.

Checking out a group of juvys 1 night they all started running in different directions. I called it in & someone asked for a direction of travel. I replied "They scattered like a covey of quail, take your pick." I got some ribbing over that.

We had an officer with the radio mic in his hand instead of the PA inform a runner "I got your car *****HOLE." That 1 haunted him for awhile.

8. PTRJason

PTRJason

WAIT.... BACK UP!!!! HOW did THAT happen? lol That had to be interesting...

While responding to a very large party in a vacant house, my sgt. was first on scene and was giving us locations and said, 50-75 subjects and they are yelling, "Shut the ******* Up, the cops are here!" He didn't catch he said it until a few hours later, and I did not even realize he said it until later. It just seemed like another day at work.

A few years ago one of my buddies at the Indian Reservation I worked on was giving a description of a subject who ran, and he gave his weight in his clothing description as saying, "5-9, white stripped shirt, blue jeans, AND and belt buckle that weighed probably more then he does..." Our dispatcher did not find him funny and said it was inappropriate, :crying:

9. KING-PIN

KING-PIN

Yeah, I absolutely need to hear how that came about...

10. PinkoCommie

PinkoCommie Unusual Member

Did you take up a collection to buy him a sense of humor?

11. PinkoCommie

PinkoCommie Unusual Member

I pulled the classic "523 and myself will be entering in the rear" not too long ago. Started laughing before I was done saying it. Dispatch loved it.

12. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Funny, I was going to post the same story.

13. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

One of our dispatcher was advising where a fleeing suspect was going and said, "Going down on Beaver."

One of the first traffic stops I did, I couldn't remember the phonetic for Z, so out came "Zorro." There was a long pause before a dispatcher answered.

14. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Well, sort of off topic, was on my honeymoon rather than on a radio.

We were in Tahiti, going through a tour of a traditional Polynesian village, they had tattooers, weavers, etc. The guide pointed to a large flat rock, and said "That large rock over there was used as an altar, they performed weddings and human sacrifices on it". I raised my hand and asked "How did they tell the difference?"...

Randy

15. OJ

OJ Deceased Millennium Member

Back in Nixon's last days, I was at a medical meeting (vacationing) in California in my aging Cessna 172. I had been flying up and down the coast between lectures in Monterey and friends in Oceanside. Nixon's residence was in the flight path as P23 and minimum altitude there was 4000' and required clearance to enter. I had done so several times with no problems and, this day I detoured out over Catalina Island en route south to Oceanside - nowhere even remotely close to P23. air traffic control was at the Marine base El Torro and, after many (at least half dozen times) inquiries as to whether I planned to overfly P23, I was thoughtful (brain on autopilot) and commented to my passenger "I didn't even know the SOB (used actual words) was even here and not in DC.". She poked me and I saw the look of horror on her face as she pointed to the switch that chose either intercom or broadcast to the world - and it was to broadcast to the world.

After some 2 seconds, El Torro called with my tail number ID and questioned what my last transmission was.

Suddenly smarter, I did the only honorable thing (spelled smart) and stated I had no transmission and hadn't heard any either. I could hear background laughter when I got the message they must have been mistaken.

When I landed at Oceanside and there were no federal troops there to arrest me, I concluded Nixon was really on his way out - I could have been prosecuted just for using that choice of words to broadcast publicly but I guessed the controllers wanted to keep the tape for entertainment value.

Haven't made such stupid mistake since and this is the first time I've confessed it in public - but, I think the statute of limitations has run out anyway.

Later plane - so I kept my commercial license -

[​IMG]

"Old pilots never die, they just can't get it up"

:supergrin:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  16. Straight Pipe

Straight Pipe

xxxxxx

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  17. blhar15

blhar15

I also have my pilots license and I am always getting the phonetic alphabet messed up, same problem with our military guys. Someone usually gives you flack over that.

When we do a vehicle tow we tag the vehicle and just call out with a 24/48 or 72 hour tow to dispatch. For some reason I said one night, "Mark it with a 24 hour tow tag". I got some grief over that like, is the car going to be dead in 24 hours or what.

18. K720

K720

We had a Sgt. get his ears pierced. At radio check, someone said, "Sgt Smith, your Grandma called and wants her ear rings back."

19. glock192327

glock192327 Where is eye

All I can say to ya Bubba is: Don't know if you're still married to that woman....but I can tell your life is gonna be hard.....:rofl:

20. Guser

Guser

During a solo flight in my private pilot training days I entered the pattern at Addison, Texas, and flew way past the control tower. ATC radioed, "Piper XXXXW, state your intentions."

I replied: "My intentions are to land."

No more traffic from the tower, but my instructor was monitoring the radio and gave me the devil for poor communications skills.