close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Your Favorite

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by robin303, Feb 17, 2010.

1. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

Powder for 40 S&W reloads. Not looking for recipes but looking for a general powder that everybody likes and maybe agree on and such don’t you know.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

2. Motown Fire

Motown Fire Everett

I use Unique for loading my .40S&W and 9MM.

3. MrGlock21

MrGlock21

My favorite - Probably N340 but it's a little steep (for a good reason)

But I currently use and really like Unique for 9mm and True Blue for .40

4. srd

srd

You will find everybodys favorite powder is going to be like someones favorite ice cream. It will vary according to ammo use , bullet weight and how well it consistently meters through their powder measure.

5. byf43

byf43 NRA Endowment Life Member

Winchester 231.............. and "Butterfinger" ice cream. Thank you, very much!:supergrin:

6. creophus

creophus Born Again

7. sarge

sarge Millennium Member

I compete with my 40 and use titegroup. I can get ~14K rounds out of an 8# jug.

8. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Gold Bond Medicated powder... Plesent smell and leaves your skin soft as baby's behind. (velocities may be a bit lower than desired however)

Jack

9. fredj338

fredj338

Powder is the LAST place I try to save 2/10 of a penny per rd in my reloads.:upeyes: I choose a powder based on how it performs; accuracy & the vel. & want within safe pressure limits. For the 40, I have yet to find a better powder than WSF for accuracy, & it gets to factory vel. w/ far safer pressures than TG. TG & other uberfast powders are great for mousefart loads, but trying to push factory vel. in high pressure rounds w/ them is foolishly unsafe.

10. creophus

creophus Born Again

I use to compete with what many would call mousefart loads and they did a great job of knocking over the steel. I liked Titegroup because it metered well and it was inexpensive.

I'm not skilled enough to compete for money so to me, the price was a factor.

11. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Gotta love these "favorite" questions that don't mention what the use is going to be. The range is Solo1000 to Power Pistol to AA9 or Longshot or some VV powder. Just depends on what you want to do.

12. fredj338

fredj338

2/10 of a penny / round. Really? Of course you are shooting lead bullets too to save money.:whistling:

13. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

Just to plink Steve. :embarassed:

14. sarge

sarge Millennium Member

I guess that's why we have more powders than just YOUR choice. TG has done just fine for me ever since it has been out. I tried WSF and didn't have good luck with it.

Next time, I'll try to remember to consult you before I buy powder. :upeyes:

BTW, I shoot lead too, in a factory barrel, and have for about 10 years. As long as you aren't funding my loading, don't worry about what I shoot.

The original question was "Your Favorite Powder". I told him mine, I don't remember anyone asking for a lecture from you about the cost savings.

15. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

Gotta love it. Why do people get all upet when you choose a different powder or bullet than they do?

16. sarge

sarge Millennium Member

It's amazing at the replies some people give when the original question was:

What is your favorite powder

17. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

I am eclectic.
    Winchester 231
    Power pistol
    Universal
    Winchester WSF
    SR 7625
    AA#5

and "Almond praline" ice cream. Thank you, very much!

18. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

19. fredj338

fredj338

My point sarge, if you can follow, is using a powder to save 2/10 of a penny pre round is not worth the effort if the powder doesn't meet the performance level. Powder is THE cheapest part of a handgun reload. I am not attacking you, so what is your problem? There are just certain statments like; "you don't save any money reloading" & "I shoot ______ powder because it's cheap", that just make my head spin. I'ld wager most of those reloaders never put a calculator to their per round cost comparison.
    If you want to load within a narrow load range, TG & other uberfast powders are fine. Just about anything you can stuff into a case will go bang. Many shotoer get into trouble, especially newbs, loading uberfasts, like TG, & trying to push for factory equiv vel. That is an sccident waiting to happen & all because someones idea & recommendaion of best powder is the cost per round.:upeyes: I offered my choice & an opinion as well. Last I looked, free country serge. If my "bashing" of your fav powder choice offends you, well gee, I guess I could say I was sorry, but why, I am not. Powders like TG have a place, & that is not on a newbs reloading bench IMO.
    As to my question about lead bullets, if one is shooting a powder just to save 2/10 of a penny, then I hope onr is also shooting lead bullets as well, after all, they can save you 2-3c/rd. Quite a bargain considering there is little safety issue in that move vs using a marginal powder for the task at hand (unless you are shooting those 40 minor loads).

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  20. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Shotgunred shouldn't be allowed to respond to threads such as this... he come up with totally incorrect answers.

It is common knowledge that everyone's favorite ice cream is ... pistachio.

See that, he doesn't even know which ice cream is his favorite. :supergrin:

Jack