close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Your favorite bottle of Vino under $20?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Hokie3, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Hokie3

Hokie3

What's your favorite bottle of wine for under $20? There are so many to choose from so it would be nice to see what others like. So far I think my favorite is a 2001 Carmenet Cabernet made by Dynamite Vineyards. I've seen it anywhere from $15-$19 depending on where you look.

2. RetDet

RetDet Millennium Member

Try any of the wines sold under the Yellowtail label. Not too shabby for bottles that can go as cheaply as 4 bucks. If you really want an inexpensive everyday wine, you can even try Two-Buck Chuck.

3. General Sherman

General Sherman

Domaine Chandon Blanc d Noir is s nice bubbly.
    Ravenswood Zinfandels are nice.
    Hogue Reislings and whites are notable.
    Most Chilean reds are good values under $20.

4. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

For under $20, I usually go for a Larose-Trintaudon red Bordeaux or a variety of Beaujolais. Beaujolais are excellent wines with cheap price tags.

5. djcerna

djcerna 1 Inch Member

yellow tail shariz has started to be a dinner time favorite.

6. zaggie

zaggie

The best California champagne under $15!

7. noway

noway

$20 for bottle. To be frank I never paid over $15.00 for a bottle (std 750ml ) and anything from Robert Mondavi or Blackstone fits that bill. Both are high quality wines and many more brands that are way under $20.00 are good also.

A good bottle of wine, doesn't have to be all that expensive. Cali & Chile both produces some top quality wines that are great and affordable on this side of the world.

8. pluvo

pluvo Experiment G26

9. dao

dao Brrrr.

I'd have to agree on the Robert Mondavi - great wines at a fantastic price...

Also, Rabbit Ridge is another favorite.

If you have a World Market nearby, they often have great wine selections in the under-20 bucks category - great place to browse without worrying about spending too much...

Lastly, some of the best wines I have at home right now are various Bordeaux's bought young and aged at home; find a good wine merchant and talk to them, but you can often save lots of money by buying very young wine (year or two old) and then letting in age - your wine merchant should be able to help, but most Bordeaux's are usually drinkable 5-7 years after bottling, and improve for 15 or 20 years. It takes a while to get started, but once you have a rotation going, you can enjoy some really excellent wines for very little investment.

'Course, if your wine comes with screw-cap, aging it probably won't help ;P

10. Jarvo71

Jarvo71

I drink a reising called "Relax," and a gewurztraminer from Chateau St. Michelle. They are both around $8 a bottle and available at the local HEB

11. Hokie3

Hokie3

Jarvo,

Try the Chardonnay from Chateau St. Michelle. My girlfriend and I like to have with the lighter dishes we make.

12. noway

noway

{I drink a reising called "Relax," and a gewurztraminer from Chateau St. Michelle.}

Same here. I bought one of those ( relax) about 2weekends ago. Great wine & cool looking bottle ( that's main reason why I bought it ). Another vote for a good riesling Moselland. Very good not too sweet and slight fruity taste. It too doesn't cost over $9.99 per bottle.

13. Texas Boy

Texas Boy

Im a poor college student so I buy Carlo Rossi for 10 bucks a gallon. We also make our own wine every once in a while.

14. Santa CruZin

Santa CruZin RIP Mr. Mayor

My wife enjoys St. Francis and Kendall Jackson chardonnays. Both under $20.

15. Remander

Remander

If you like Pinot Noir (See the movie Sideways), Martin Ray Angeline Russian River Pinot Noir is a good buy at less than $15. Most Pinot's are much pricier. This one is a great value, and I have been buying it a lot lately.

Kendall Jackson chardonnay, recommended above, is an excellent white wine value.

Montesol Rueda is a good, cheap Spanish blended white wine. Not sweet, not dry, and you can taste the pear, apple, etc. hints that the snobbies speak of. Really.

Tin Roof sauvignon blanc. Comes with a screw cap (tin roof) for about $10 to $13, and is very good.

16. OkieGal

OkieGal

That is a good wine. I had it for the first time at a wine tasting a couple of weeks ago, and really enjoyed it.

17. RetDet

RetDet Millennium Member

It won't be long, from what I hear and read, before all of the wines will have artificial corks or screw-tops. Frankly, a screw-top seals better. But there is supposedly a "cork crisis", and quality cork is hard to get and getting worse.