Your experiences with Crimson Trace grips on your Glock...

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by glock22%surfire, Aug 26, 2007.

1. glock22%surfire

glock22%surfire

I have been thinking about buying Crimson trace grips for my Glock 22.

What are your experiences and impressions on the Crimson trace grips on your Glock?

Are they worth it?

2. Mark 19

Mark 19 Whois John Galt CLM Millennium Member

I bought my first Crimson Trace (CT) about two weeks ago. I'd had a LaserMax (LM) before and liked it fine too. I've been taking some training that integrates hand-to-hand self defense with drawing a weapon using a blue gun, and we have a CT on the blue gun also.

I’d never before realized just how busy you may be if you need to draw your weapon. Also, if you are in hand-to-hand conflict you have to worry about the weapon being taken away, and so may have to shoot from what's called a #2 ready position instead of two handed, and from there you are point shooting (or using a CT). You are using your other hand to grapple with your opponent, and your typical effective draw opportunity comes at a point when you have at least a temporary pin on the opponent's arm (across from your stron-side) using your weakside arm cross-diagonally.

The CT turns the laser on as soon as you draw, without any extra steps, at a time when you may be very busy. That's what I wanted.

With the CT, there is a first-time laser sight adjustment step with an allen wrench that you wouldn't have to worry about with the LM. I performed the alignment at home (with magazine removed and chamber triple-checked empty), by aligning the CT’s dot-on-the-wall to my sight picture at 10 yards. Then, I tested it all at the range, thinking I might have to do some fine alignment at the range. As it turned out, the at-home alignment to sights was so good at the range that I didn't find further alignment to be worthwhile.

The CT design may have a little more parallax than the LM, but in practice it doesn’t make any difference. The CT does make the gun a little wider, but I carry right-handed inside-the-waistband, and the CT at the backstrap isn’t any wider than the holster rig is at the belt-point.

3. Nessy

Nessy NRA Benefactor

I carry at 9 o'clock, and I found the CT a major bother. Unfortunately they don't make models that extend to the left of the handgun. :steamed: