Your experience with Lasik

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by txsteve, Sep 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. txsteve

txsteve

So I'm thinking of going the lasik route. Worn contacts for 35 years, nearsighted but now need reading glasses too at 48 yoa. The doc wants to make my dominant eye for distance and the other eye for reading. Monovision is what they call it. I was reading an article that was collaborated on by a tactical school guru and an opthamologist. They both agree that the dominant eye should be for close up as in seeing handgun or iron sights on a carbine but said that most all doctors always do the opposite of what would be beneficial to a shooter. Who has had monovision Lasik procedure? Did they make the dominant eye for distance? Have you had trouble seeing your sights? I've still got a few weeks to make up my mind. Any personal experience will be much appreciated.

2. Planetcat

Planetcat

I had it done in 2002 at 36 years old (vision at -3.5) and am now 49. It was regular original Lasik and was the best thing I ever did. However, now that I am getting older, my vision is deteriorating a bit. I'm probably going to need glasses soon and I've needed reading glasses for the last couple of years (not related to the Lasik). If your eye doctor can buy you ten or more years of 20/20 vision, it is worth it. I can't comment on the monovision concept, as I don't know anyone that's had that done. It really is an amazing procedure, especially for those of use who've worn glasses most of our lives.

ruffterrain and txsteve like this.

3. Pier23

Pier23 Silver Member

I aked my opthomologist about Lasik, just as a curiosity, not wanting it. She looked at me and said, "With your eyes, you are lucky to be seeing at all..." - I have extreme nearsightness, the type that can lead to detatched rerinas. So I have avoided anything that will mess with my eyes. But you are RIGHTLY asking for personal experience, and I have none, so pls go to the next post.

txsteve likes this.
  4. txsteve

txsteve

Well it's been my experience that most doctors don't really care for a patient that takes an active interest in their own treatment. Seems they think we aren't capable of having any thought process on it and should just blindly trust them. I asked the guys at work and it quickly turned into " Well, I once lived next door to a guy whose brother dated the sister of a doctor's assistant and THEY said....." :)

5. Emmett4glock

Emmett4glock

I had RK (radial keratotomy) in 1986. Without getting into specifics, it has been both a blessing and a curse. I would strongly advise against the recommendation of making one eye for reading and the other for distance. I have experienced this and it wreaks havoc on your depth perception. If you choose to have it, have the same correction performed on both eyes.

chiefjack and txsteve like this.
  6. ruffterrain

ruffterrain

Let me start by saying that I have no experience with monovision.

I have---for most of my life---been EXTREMELY nearsighted. I'm talking the kind of nearsighted best described as "eyeglasses with Coke-bottle lenses" nearsighted.

So in 2003 (age 43) I went and had the Lasik procedure done to both eyes. The result is that my vision improved to better than 20-20 for several years immediately following the Lasik procedure.

About 8 years or so after the procedure, I noticed a slight deterioration in my distance vision---most noticeable in dim-light situations. Today, 12 yrs after the Lasik procedure, I wear a very mild prescription for nearsightedness. I do this by choice, not by necessity. I am adamant about having crystal clear vision while driving and hunting, and it is during those two activities that I wear my eyeglasses.

Bottom line: If I had it to do over, I'd still have the Lasik procedure done. Is it perfect? In my case, not entirely perfect, but my vision is vastly improved today versus what it was pre-Lasik. In my opinion, it was money well-spent.

YMMV. :cowboy:

txsteve likes this.
  7. txsteve

txsteve

I have talked to quite a few people who say they got used to it and it works for them but some like you say "don't do it! " I'm not sure how my brain would react. I hate to have Lasik and still need reading glasses though. Thanks for your input.

Emmett4glock likes this.
  8. Emmett4glock

Emmett4glock

You're welcome txsteve. It is a conundrum. I can tell you from my experience and the experience of friends who have had this surgery long term, that you will sooner or later require reading glasses and distance correction. That's why I would advise not to complicate things by altering your depth perception. Yes, you will get used to the altered depth perception eventually but it will not be in a good way.

txsteve likes this.
  9. chiefjack

chiefjack

1997 I had it done. I had the option of one eye near and one eye far, but the Doctor fitted me with glasses that showed me what I my vision would be like with that set up, and my depth perception was waaaayyyy out of wack so I didn't go that route. i had the procedure and was 20/10 in each eye 3 days after. I have worn the el cheapo reading glasses when I get tired or when I need real precision close up vision.

Just a side note, I spent 38 years as a firefighter and not needing glasses for my last 15 years was just a real blessing.

I was also fortunate to have the procedure done by a Doctor who was involved in the early research and development of the procedure and that made me even more receptive to having it done.

PM me if you would like more info on the Doctor...

txsteve and Emmett4glock like this.
  10. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

I wish the procedures had been robust when I was younger so I could have gotten 10-20 years of good, hassle free vision, but it is too late for me, as old, inflexible lenses are beginning to be the path for me!

My advice to you would be to ask your eye doctor for contact lens samples. When I was exploring the new ways to adapt to aging eyes (reading was getting harder and harder!), I tried aspheric lenses, concentric lenses, and Left/Right bias like you are suggesting.

I HATED the "reading for one eye/distance for another" setup. Hated it! I value crisp distance vision, and it was no good for me. Some like it, but I don't. I gave it one, painful week of trial, but abandoned it.

Our advice will be our own experiences. I think that for a procedure this important for you, you should see what YOU like and don't like.

Try this:
    Trial contact lenses for each eye in the prescription you would have in Lasik will tell you whether you like it, or if it annoys (or worse yet, triggers headaches, etc.). You can also reverse the prescriptions (perhaps with another set of trial lenses) to see which is easier for shooting, golfing, watching TV, reading, driving, etc. Your eyes (and brain) will take some time to adapt, so leave yourself some time!

You may have other eye issues that preclude doing this, but if you can, I think this is a test drive you will be grateful you undertook (either to avoid a bad outcome, or to give you peace and confidence having the procdure done).

Good luck!

txsteve and Emmett4glock like this.
  11. peng

peng

I dated a girl in college that was naturally nearsighted in one eye and farsighted in the other, just as you describe. She never got used to it her whole life, had no depth perception and was always crashing into things and hurting herself. The idea of simulating the condition with contacts is an excellent one.

Remember with Lasik your focal point will be instantly drastically changed, and as you age your eye loses the power to shift this point up closer. Your reading glass prescription will likely get worse. Try reading with your distance prescription on if you want to see what it will be like. Good luck!

txsteve likes this.
  12. txsteve

txsteve

I appreciate everyone's input. My appt for measurement is the 20th this month. Procedure on 23rd. I've been having to wear glasses (for a month total) after wearing gas permeable lenses for 30+ years. I'm wearing progressive lenses and absolutely hate them. I more leaning towards being set up for distance and just wearing cheap walmart readers as needed. I've had to wear those for a couple of years now already with my contacts in. I'm definitely paying for the lifetime touch ups package. The place I'm going has an excellent reputation and two great docs that do the work. Again, thanks for everyone's input. I'll try and update with the outcome.

13. Mayonator

Mayonator

I had PRK done in April of this year. I'm 49, and was -6.25 roughly. Very near-sighted and in contacts, or glasses more lately as my eyes don't tolerate contacts like they used to. I had the option to do one eye near and the other far, but went for distance in both eyes. The healing process has taken a long time in my case, well past the 90 days most people take to see well. That was very aggravating.

Coming up on 6 months, and I'm something like 20/20 in my non-dominant eye and 20/25 in my dominant eye. (I'm right-eyed). The surgery did change the extent to which I'm presbyopic (reading glasses)

Getting old sucks. I see fairly well overall now, but still have some dryness and have to pop the drops in first thing in the morning. I was out shooting before I could see worth a damn. Drug store reading glasses got me by for a few months. I was able to compensate alright, and my shooting actually improved during that time.

I thought it was a fail at first, but now I'd do it over again.

txsteve likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.