close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

your daughters in taxis

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by antediluvianist, Dec 11, 2004.

1. antediluvianist

antediluvianist

Assuming that you have one or more single daughters in the general age range of 16 - 27, do you allow them to get into taxis alone? If so, daytime only or also at night?

I don't allow my daughter to travel by taxi at night. Am even bothered about daytime travel but there are times when it is unavoidable. I gave her Mace but she doesn't always carry it. There were 2 instances when she had to insist on getting off since the taxi driver started saying fresh/weird things. She refuses to carry a little gun or I would get her one, with legal permit of course.

I don't trust taxi drivers to convey my daughter; do you trust them?

2. rhino465

rhino465

Could you get her to carry a knife? (and learn how to use it?)

3. 9MX

9MX Rei!

no. so buy your unica hija a car!;)

4. antediluvianist

antediluvianist

She has the use of three cars. But a woman driving a car alone at night is not a good situation either. Many monsters on the road at night. So 99% of the time she is driven by my family's driver/bodyguard (he weighs about a hundred kilos and looks like a wall.)

Just curious if you guys provide your daughters with weapons.

Re: rhino's suggestion about a knife, yes but I'd rather she use something quick and easy like Mace or a small revolver. Knives take training to use effectively.

5. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

No, I don't trust taxi drivers or pretty much anyone else who hasn't earned it through personally witnessed proof of decent behavior. That said, when the time comes that my daughter has to commute, or in general, venture out into the wide, wide world, I would have made sure that she has had more than sufficient instruction on how to recognize and respond to potentially threatening situations, how to be assertive, how to firmly say "No!", how to effectively defend herself when needed, and how to listen to her gut feel and other warning indicators.

Much as I'd like to be there to always protect her, I know that to have her depend on me for her protection would stifle her growth. Although she will always be my little angel, while she is growing up, I'll make sure that she receives the necessary preparation to survive, prevail and flourish in this less than perfect world.

That said, the amount of freedom and autonomy my daughter receives later in life (heck, she's only six years old right now) will depend on how mature she is and how ready she is to prudently exercise a certain responsibility at a specific age. As a parent, it is my duty to ensure that she is not only smart, but street smart as well; not only compassionate, but also sensitive to danger in its many guises; not only congenial, but lethal if need be ;)

To answer your question, sure, I'd let her get into a taxi alone at night when she has proven that she knows what to do if trouble strikes. That includes the usual stuff like call the house on your cell and relay to them the taxi's license number, name of driver and other details; inform the house of where you are going and whom you will be with; lock all passenger doors and ensure that the window and door opening mechanisms of the taxi work; stay alert while inside the taxi; keep mace/knife/gun covertly in hand/bag and be prepared to use it without hesitation; know the rules about self-defense and disparity of force; etc., etc.

Remember, as they say, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean no one is out to get you :) Stay safe, people.

6. TechniK

TechniK 4B50LU7 H4X0R.

You got a family bodyguard?

That's mad, why didn't I ever have one? ;g

7. antediluvianist

antediluvianist

The socio-economic situation in Philippine society makes it fairly normal for middle and upper class families to be able to avail of the services of household help of various kinds - maids, cooks, drivers, bodyguards. There are many unemployed who need jobs.

There is also frequently a family-to-family, long-term, relationship. My family's driver-bodyguard lives with us - his wife is the family's cook/main housekeeper - he and his wife and their kids live in our compound. It's a generational thing too - two generations of them take care of two generations of us. That driver/bodyguard will give his life to protect my family, in return for all we have done for his family. Some might say this is a feudal relationship, but it is a close and confident one, and quite common around here. I hope to keep it going.

Anyway, as I said my daughter has had to insist on getting out of two taxis, and there have been many instances of young women driving their cars alone at night who were forced off the road and worse by criminals. When in Rome,do as the Romans. My opinion is that a young lady needs a simple-to-use weapon at night, whether driving alone or in a taxi. My daughter took kick-boxing lessons and is pretty good at it, but I want her to have a weapon. I stay awake at night waiting for her to arrive. A lot of crime at night around here.

8. kristiansen

kristiansen Birdwatcher

yes, a knife or a stun gun.any tool for defensive purposes.

9. 9MX

9MX Rei!

let her drive one of the cars. lesser of two evils. if its brand new unit, no problem. otherwise, make sure its registered with 24x7 tow service like Wheelers, etc.

10. PMMA97

PMMA97 TagaBundok

I would let her drive a car. If your socio-economic status is a threat in itself, better invest in another bodyguard for your daughter rather than letting her take a cab. Weapons on the other hand takes dedication and training to be effective otherwise baka sa kanya pa gamitin ng mga demonyo yun :( Huwag naman sana...Street smartness can not be taught if you yourself are not street smart. I too have a daughter and if I had the financial means to protect her money will not be an issue to consider.

11. julianz

julianz toxic master

my kids are still young but me and my wife are trying to encourage them in the wonderful world of sports shooting They are having a good time driving with their playstation controllers, hopefully will encourage them to drive a real car.

i can imagine it already " Dad i need more cash for gas and reloads.
    Dad can you buy me a STI edge on my birthday..;f

getting back to the taxi riding business..i would strongly suggest for young ladies not to take a cab on her own....
    if its her last choice she should call her relatives or friends from time to time to update her whereabouts and ETA ..etc....make sure the driver hears about the conversation at least will make him change his mind if he's planning something we all would'nt appreciate.

On the positive side " there are still good natured drivers out there ".

but for a piece of mind ..let her carry something to depend herself.

12. New_comer

New_comer

I can hardly control my kids now that they've entered puberty stage. Come to think of it, my folks can't do it with me either. There's a point where you could only do so much.

Arm them with a gun? At 16? you've got to be kidding...

At 21, they're already emancipated. Start to let them go.

As parents, it's best we teach them all we know about life in the streets. Show them the proper way of using firearms, but most of all, inculcate in them the value of life and what they could take away and the consequenses if rash judgement is hastily acted upon.

Just a cheap advice from another struggling parent. :cool:

13. jundeleon

jundeleon

Females riding in taxis alone is generally ok daytime or nighttime.
    Just be a little selective on the taxi.
    Try to choose the taxis from big reputable fleets like MGE, RE, EMP, and those that are newer or neater in appearance. Marami naman bago taxis ngayon. Better yet, try to get a cab from those companies with phone/pick up service.
    Stay away from the old dilapidated types which are run by small operators.
    Carrying a weapon is advisable only if the person is trained appropriately and has the nerves to use it when needed. Baka sa kanya pa gamitin mahirap na.
    Not all taxi drivers are bad.
    I drove a taxi for three months way back in 1997 and I know personally that most of these taxi drivers are just trying to make ends meet.

14. riddler

riddler

if legality is an issue with mace and knives, buy your daughter a CROSS pen and teach her to aim for the neck.

15. s.g

s.g

Like Jundeleon, I also choose either R&E, EMP and MGE when taking a taxi. These 3 companies even have telephone numbers you could call so that their taxis could fetch you from your location, though it's a bit difficult to connect to their numbers.

Of the big taxi companies around, I avoid WALLIS, TROCADERO and another which I forget at the moment. There's an e-mail full of negative comments about the abovementioned, which is under a single owner. I normally would not believe outright those articles circulated on the net, except that these taxis (Wallis, etc.) were also featured in GMA-7's Saksi.

One weekend last month, at around 11:30pm, my boss's sister-in-law with 3 female companions were forced out of their white Rav4 at the vicinity of Max's Roces Avenue. If you read tsikot.yehey.com, you'd come across similar incidents involving auv's and midsized suv's. I guess the lesson to remember here is that when driving late at night, it would be best to stay on the main streets where there's plenty of traffic, as much as possible. Just remember to pray and be quick when driving southbound through the EDSA Crossing underpass,

16. chipglock

chipglock

Your fears are well-founded sir. I for one, do not let my sisters take cabs at night time, its better to be a little paranoid than end up as an unfortunate statistic. Instead, if they really have to go and the car isnt available, i let them commute-within reasonably safe and well-lighted areas of course, its a little safer being with a lot of people on public transportation than being alone in a car with a potential threat. (the way i see it, if you commute, the worst that could happen is getting held up whereas if youre alone and in the power of a driver a lot worse can happen).
    Heres a tip for driving at night, it may not really help much but its what i let them do. I always let them wear a cap and tuck in their hair at night, to deter the would-be predators into thinking its men driving.

17. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

I hate taxis. And when my daughter grows up, I think she'll love carrying a gun since at this early an age na e-expose na sa akin. :)

As for the wife, gimik nya always at night until the wee hours of the morning. Can't stop her anymore. I just told her if the time comes (God-forbid) she gets blocked, ram the car and get away fast. Sa presinto na lang tayo mag-uusap.

18. rhino465

rhino465

This is a very interesting thread!

There are probably areas in the USA where we should be asking the same kinds of questions, yet very few people ever think of it. People in NYC, Chicago, and Los Angeles just assume they are "safe" when they get into a cab and think nothing of it. I'll bet very few take note of whether or not the cab is even legit, much less get a look at the driver to see if he matches the displayed license.

I know that when my father visits the Philippines, my family there always sends someone around with him when he is away from whichever house where he might be staying. I think they try to make him think they are a guide or assistant, but it's pretty obvious they are bodyguarding him. Now that he's close to 80 (79 in February), I'm going to make sure that he's never alone if he goes back for another visit before he even gets there. And 80 year old (even though he is in great shape) who is now "Americanized" is going to be at least as attractive a target to predators as a young girl, albeit for different reasons.

I doubt if I will ever visit, but I guarantee I absolutely will not go to the Philippines until/unless the laws allow for me to bring and carry the tools I may need to ensure my own safety. I doubt that will ever happen.

As far as antedev's daughter goes ... I'd keep pushing her to carry a gun AND get her a good folding knife. Both take training in their use to be effective, and while the knife may be more physical, it would be very good for the close quarters of a taxicab. At the very least, some instruction on where and how cut/slash/thrust would be in order and would not take that much time or practice.

A walking stick might be a good idea too, although it would be useless inside the cab itself. Again, it would probably require more training than either the pistol or knife to be used effectively.

19. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

I enforce 2 rules everytime the wife, daughter, yaya or any combo rides in a taxi:
    1. Text me the plate# and taxi cab name upon getting in the cab.
    2. Text me when you've arrived.
    ;)

20. mbclubph

mbclubph GREEN MINDED

girls taking cab at night is ok basta lang piliin nya yung cab.... sir if you want pwede ko sunduin daughter mo :) :) :)