Your CLP system

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by rainman33, Jul 31, 2020.

1. rainman33

rainman33

What’s your current CLP system? What have you tried and why did you stick with what you’re using now?

I’ve recently started using Lucas Outdoor products. The CLP is easy to use and slicker than most CLPs I’ve tried in the past. The oil and grease seem to compliment each other well and definitely make the slickest action I’ve felt (Froglube was a close second when it warmed up). All in all, I feel like I can clean and lubricate a firearm fast with this system. Cleaning is more chore than fun for me.

I’ve used Frog Lube and Breakthrough. Both are good products.

With Froglube, I had to be very sure it didn’t build up while cleaning or applying. It can get tacky if there’s too much of it. Never had it go bad and grow mold like some report. I still like it and use it sometimes.

Breakthrough was good. Everything worked well, but not so much better than everything else.

Rust is not a problem in my area, so the “P” part of CLP is a distant 3rd concern.

ETA: I’m pretty sure most products are sufficient for most shooters, and far better than nothing.

2. FL-obiwan

FL-obiwan

Back a couple of years ago someone on one of these websites did a test of available products. I think Hornady Dry Lube came out near the top on most categories. I am experimenting with it on my Kahr K40. So far it works very well.
    That said, years ago I bought a LARGE container of Weapon Shield and it works well. No complaint with it at all. It does make cleaning very easy in subsequent usage. Bores clean easily. Wife doesn't like the smell, but she doesn't like Hoppes #9 either.

nerr likes this.

3. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

I am not fussy, but usually have Eezox on hand.

Tuscany and TNRonin like this.
  4. techiej

techiej

Hornady one-shot for areas I don't like to take apart - like CZ sear cages. Ballistol everywhere else unless the manufacturer calls for grease in which case I use superlube.

5. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

2 step:

1) Hoppes #9 for cleaning
    2) Ballistol for lubricating

for the ballistol step, I saturate the barrel inside and out, and then I wipe it down as best I can and it leaves the barrel with a slick teflon like surface.

I clean and lubricate the slide channels the same way...Hoppe's first, ballistol second.

jk_226 and n2g like this.
  6. grumpy1

grumpy1

Bore clean: - Hoppes NO9 or Hoppes Elite Spray
    Lube: - Slip 2000 EWL or Slip 2000 EWG grease
    Protect: Breakfree CLP everyday or Eezox for long term

Breakfree CLP can do all in a pinch but I prefer dedicated product for each task.

IAhunter and jk_226 like this.
  7. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I like Clenzoil for cleaning and Breakfree for storage and rust prevention and Militec 1 for lubrication.

8. barta

barta This is Barta!

Mobile 1 Synthetic on every gun I own. Easy money.

jk_226 likes this.
  9. 5.45 Shooter

5.45 Shooter

I carry a small can of CLP in my range bag just in case. But I have a muzzle loader that if you have any lube on it at all & try to hunt when it's cold(single digit or below 0) it will not fire.

10. Bradd D

Bradd D

Slip 2000 EWL, a rag, a Boresnake, and a toothbrush. Field strip and wipe everything down every 1000 rounds. Lube before every session.

11. ronin.45

ronin.45

I use products I get free at matches. Currently Lucas Oil Outdoor Line sponsors us and it is really good stuff.

12. cciman

cciman Mr. Spock

C= Paper towels, tissues, wipes off the crud.

L,P= motor oil left over in from bottles after oil changes.

20+years , thousands of rounds. Full metal jackets, factory, no naked lead bullets, lots of steel case.

Kentucky Shooter likes this.
  13. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

I'm of the opinion that "Combination" All-In-One cleaner, lube and rust preventives are not as effective as separate cleaners, lubes and rust inhibitors.

The way I do it is clean first, then lube, then add a rust inhibitor. I like Hoppes #9 for most cleaning and also like gun scrubber aerosol and sweets 7.62 for copper fouling and Shooter's choice Lead remover for minor barrel leading. Hoppe's #9 is a very mild cleaner and as much as I like the smell, I think wipe-out and gunslick foaming bore cleaners are a little better. I haven't tried Hoppe's foaming bore cleaner.

As far as rust preventatives, I like Birchwood Casey Barricade, which can't be sold in California so it must have some good **** in it. Birchwood Casey also makes RIG, rust inhibiting grease. Some guns need more lube than others. for example, 1911's LOVE lots of lube, but with Glocks, Less is more.

I've been using M-pro7 for a lube for years now and I've been happy with it. I tried Frog Lube on my Glocks and on my 1911 and didn't like the consistency of it and had my doubts as to it's effectiveness. I'm also dubious of synthetic motor oil but not of the use of synthetics made specifically as gun lube and I don't think the motor oil is the same thing as gun oil.

Same thing with homemade lubes like Ed's Red except that that it's been around for a long time and it doesn't appear to have done any harm to the guns of those who use it.

14. Staffordshire

Staffordshire

Clenzoil for normal clean and lube.

If the gun hasn’t been cleaned in a while and I’m going to shoot it, I’ll put some Lucas Extreme Duty oil on the slide rails before shooting.

If the gun hasn’t been cleaned in a while, I’ll use Hoppes foaming cleaner and lube with Clenzoil.

But, in reality, the Clenzoil is all I really need for both cleaning and lubing and what I use most often.

15. ede

ede

Sort of depends on the firearm but I use the following,:
    Butch's Bore Shine
    Hoppes 9
    Some sort of purple lube from AIM I really like
    Lubriplate 105
    HOS
    Simple Green
    For storage protection I'm sold on wax instead or oil

16. TNRonin

TNRonin Happy g21/g19 /g43 owner! Millennium Member

Eezox.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

17. screwman

screwman

18. collim1

collim1

Breakfree CLP, Ballistol, Mpro7, and the Lucas CLP all work well enough for me.

I tend to use Ballistol most often these days because I like the smell and it’s non-toxic, so the wife lets me use it inside the house.

Ballistol is a little light in the lube category for some applications though.

I don’t use Ballistol to lubricate my AR15’s or alloy handgun frame rails. Mpro7 or Breakfree doesn’t cook off near as quickly.

I wrote Froglube off as gimmicky years ago. I’m always skeptical of anything marketed that hard.

My work buys the Lucas CLP for us to use. It’s pretty good stuff. Their oil and grease works really well also. I like their grease on my alloy frame rails.

I rarely use actual bore solvent on my handguns and AR15’s these days. I shoot too much to white glove clean my recreational guns. Lots of quick cleans with a bore snake, and relube. Just enough to keep them cycling reliably.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  19. captcurly

captcurly

M-Pro 7 bore
    Geissele Purple Go Juice (oil)
    Geissele 0000 grease for slide rails.

20. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

You are a brave man! To admit this, that is.

But I also used it for years without problems till I started reading on gun forums how bad it is. :outtahere: