Glock Talk banner

Young criminals and .22s

2632 Views 20 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  fnfalman
I like to read my local paper online. I would say in the past 2 years I recall 3x different inner city murders where young kids, 18-25, kill another young guy with a .22 pistol. I always think of posting the stories as we always argue which caliber is best for self defense and here .22s are consistently being used to take a person out. These news articles always strike me as interesting because I practice with a .22 endlessly to hit bullseye and these young criminals know nothing about guns and still get a million dollar shot which ends an unlucky person's life and sends the shooter to jail. I guess why I'm posting about this is to point out, don't underestimate that tiny bullet. No I'm not suggesting .22 over a self defense round. But more so even a .22 can be very lethal and noting that younger criminals seem to use them often enough for me to notice.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· you savvy?
23,200 Posts
big difference in using a .22lr handgun for defense or offense. one "target" is hell bent on killing you while the other will step on their mother to get away from you.

· woo woo
31,835 Posts
In gangland/inner city shootings, it's very often a case of walk-up and 'bang' vs an actual fight. In other words, when you're not seeing it coming and the guy has an easy time lining up and drilling you. Placement is power, and a well placed .22 will do the job.

· Registered
131,436 Posts
In gangland/inner city shootings, it's very often a case of walk-up and 'bang' vs an actual fight. In other words, when you're not seeing it coming and the guy has an easy time lining up and drilling you. Placement is power, and a well placed .22 will do the job.
True Berto

Many times they are execution style shootings.

· NRA Life Member
75,703 Posts
That is nothing new or inner-city - .22 LR has always been one of the top calibers used to kill people. If you just look at the numbers, however, you may not realize a lot of people are killed with .22 because a lot of people are shot with .22. A tiny fraction as many people are shot and killed with .44 magnum. That doesn't mean .22LR is a more reliable man-stopper than .44.

· Registered
30,515 Posts
I understand the Mossad was pretty good with the Beretta 70 Jaguar 22.

http://www.tactical-life.com/firearms/israeli-mossad-22-lrs/#mossad-22-lsr-beretta-70

"During the incident that took place in February of 1969, Israeli Sky Marshal Mordechai Rachamim engaged several heavily armed Arab terrorists as they attacked an EL Al airliner on a snow covered runway in Zurich. Despite the odds against him, the young Israeli sky marshal expertly used his issued Beretta Model 70 pistol to kill one of the Palestinian terrorists, moments before the Zurich Police arrived and took the remaining terrorists into custody."

· Registered
45,276 Posts
Proximity directly affects placement. Caliber is incidental to proximity.

· Registered
30,883 Posts
We do not shoot to kill, we shoot to stop the threat. Yes I know a 22 can kill. But can it reliably stop the threat?

· Banned
4,795 Posts
They're common, small and the ammo is relatively cheap/quiet. I'm sure that plays a part in their decision.

· Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I mentioned about 3 recent incidents. One was a one shot head shot kill and another was a two shot shoulder kill shot. The 3rd the guy shot 10 random shot. But the first two were minimal rounds fired.

· Registered
60,400 Posts
I understand the Mossad was pretty good with the Beretta 70 Jaguar 22.

http://www.tactical-life.com/firearms/israeli-mossad-22-lrs/#mossad-22-lsr-beretta-70

"During the incident that took place in February of 1969, Israeli Sky Marshal Mordechai Rachamim engaged several heavily armed Arab terrorists as they attacked an EL Al airliner on a snow covered runway in Zurich. Despite the odds against him, the young Israeli sky marshal expertly used his issued Beretta Model 70 pistol to kill one of the Palestinian terrorists, moments before the Zurich Police arrived and took the remaining terrorists into custody."
Very likely the most awesome use of a .22 under a combat condition ever performed...

To show that it was no accident, Sky Marshal Rachamim did it again...

In May of 1972, Rachamim participated in another daring and equally dangerous tactical operation involving aviation security when he and other members of Israel’s elite Sayert Matkal commando unit rescued passengers and crewmembers onboard a hijacked Sabena Airline flight at Lod Airport (now, Ben-Gurion) in Tel Aviv. At the time, this unit was under the command of Ehud Barak, a future Prime Minister of Israel.

During this operation, Rachamim and other Israeli commandos assigned to Sayeret Matkal disguised themselves as airline mechanics before storming the hijacked Belgian airliner. As the signal to move was given, Rachamim once again used his issued Model 70 to kill one of the Palestinian terrorists. A second male Palestinian terrorist was also gunned down.

Once again the Israeli sky marshals and Sayert Matkal commandos proved that you do not necessarily need to be heavily armed with sub-machine guns and major-caliber pistols to stop terrorists and criminals. Just like David killed Goliath with a slingshot and a small rock, the Israelis in more modern times used .22s to eliminate a different type of monster from the field of battle.

Of course, anyone today would almost certainly opt for a larger cartridge -- but those experiences show that a combination of training, will, and raw nerves trumps anything else.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.