You Will Wear a Mask and You Will Like It

Discussion in 'Covid-19 News/Info' started by mike from st pe, Jun 19, 2020.

1. MaxxAction

MaxxAction

Es ist zu Ihrer Sicherheit Genosse.

Because we're all too stupid, or too callous to determine our own actions and what's best for us individually, they will do it for us. See there? All pressure to actually think and make decisions is taken away, everyone is happy.

nrajeff likes this.
  2. nrajeff

nrajeff

Yes, that is the apprehension that I think many of the "traditional values" Americans feel when they see the Big Brother society rapidly taking over our lives. "Hey, it's for your safety, so you will comply, it's not optional, and you will like it!" ---as the OPs thread title alludes to. How many cases of "Orwell warned us about this" does it take before the silent majority of us says "Okay, that's it, we're not putting up with any more of it" ?

rock_castle likes this.

3. cyphertext

cyphertext

So I get it, you are against the government mandating the wearing of the mask, not wearing a mask in of itself. However, the issue around here was that the recommendations were to wear a mask. Not a government mandate, but a recommendation from CDC, county health officials, Texas Southwest Medical Center, etc... Folks didn't heed that warning, so now city governments are pushing the requirement. Some businesses welcomed the mandate because then they are not the ones making the rules and can pass the blame to the gov.

Maybe I have a more vested interest in this because of my family's situation. My son works retail and is a college student. As soon as his store opened back up, people came in to shop and ignored the request to wear a mask in the store. Being exposed to the general public every day, he is at risk of contracting the virus, and bringing it home to the rest of us. Still waiting to see how the Fall semester in college is going to play out.

Same with my wife. She is a teacher and will be returning to the classroom in the fall. The governor is asking folks to wear a mask, yet they are not requiring them for students in school, yet the teachers are required to wear a mask. Doesn't make much sense to me.

nrajeff likes this.
  4. nrajeff

nrajeff

Correct. If wearing a mask reduces your chance of dying from Covid from 1 in 10 million to 1 in 20 million, hey, you've cut your risk in half, right? Of course, 1 in 10 million is such a low risk that some people might rightly be more worried about being killed by a drunk driver than from catching Covid...

Yeah, my comments have been more in relation to the OP's thread title.

What would help make me more of a "believer" that we should let the govt. have this much authority over us, would be actual scientific-method tests proving that X many people died from Covid because they didn't wear a mask, and Y many of those people wouldn't have died from Covid if they HAD worn one.

Some of the dire predictions seem more like the "computer models" claiming that if the USA doesn't reach zero carbon emissions by 2040, the Global Warming Apocalypse will kill 5 billion people. How reliable (accurate) have the models been?

rock_castle and nautoncall like this.
  5. Agonizer

Agonizer Unmasked

6. cyphertext

cyphertext

You are looking at the worst possible outcome, dying. I don't want to catch it at all, if I can avoid it. Just as I don't want to catch a cold, the flu, or anything else. I don't care about the models, but what I do care about is that the percentage of tests that are coming back positive are increasing and hospitalizations are increasing. I also can no longer say that I don't know anyone that has tested positive. I now know several people that have tested positive recently.

7. cyphertext

cyphertext

Do you think this is a hoax? That in and of itself is a conspiracy theory.

8. racerford

racerford

How many of the last 20 years of Flu seasons have you worn a mask in public? Are you wearing a mask at home, so that you don’t asymptomatically spread it to your family?

rock_castle likes this.
  9. cyphertext

cyphertext

I haven't worn a mask for flu, but I have had flu shots. I don't wear a mask at home, as I have been working from home and haven't been out that much. However, my son is now wearing a mask at home because one of his coworkers has tested positive. We got that news today... so thank you for your concern.

10. Agonizer

Agonizer Unmasked

[​IMG]

rock_castle likes this.
  11. cyphertext

cyphertext

Says the guy who's source of info seems to be memes.

Joshhtn and tacit mesa like this.
  12. Agonizer

Agonizer Unmasked

[​IMG]

rock_castle and slym2none like this.
  13. racerford

racerford

I hope your son avoids it. I would recommend well fitted n95s. However, the one truly effective way to avoid infections is isolation. You should avoid contact with your son if you are concerned with catching something. A lot depends on your area. We have a very low infection rate. If you live in an area with a high infection rate, you should take more precautions. Closed doors and walls between you and your son are way more effective that any Mask except a positive pressure mask.

Effective masks make breathing more difficult, reduce available oxygen and increase CO2 in the incoming breaths. If they don’t they are not that effective.

rock_castle likes this.
  14. snesn

snesn

I don't get it, why do you think you know better than the best medical and public health advice?
    What gives you this certainty that you know better than people who actually know what they're talking about?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. MaxxAction

MaxxAction

You mean the ones that seemingly lie to the American people on a daily basis about the number of positive tests, deaths, and all the other **** they've lied about? Those people who know what they're talking about?

rock_castle likes this.
  16. racerford

racerford

So you you believe that being close to infected people with a poorly worn mask on is more effective at preventing infection than not being in the same room with them. Yes, all medical professionals agree with me. That is why we have isolation rooms in hospitals for people with highly infectious diseases.

So yes I am highly certain that isolation is more effective that poorly worn crap masks.

nautoncall and rock_castle like this.
  17. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Philippians 4: 6-7

Wearing a mask is nothing new to prevent the spread of a virus. Folks did it during the 1918/1919 Spanish flu pandemic.

upload_2020-7-2_10-13-25.jpeg

upload_2020-7-2_10-14-4.jpeg

[​IMG]

Joshhtn likes this.
  18. racerford

racerford

A big difference was that they quarantined the sick instead of letting them wander around freely. The only places that were spared, practiced strict isolation. They literally did not allow people into their town.

Also, the actions taken were strictly local. They were put in place when it hit and lifted when it left.

19. cyphertext

cyphertext

We are going with isolation... actually happens naturally with a college aged kid that is at his parents for the summer. He basically stays on one side of the house. I see him when he is going to work or coming home from work. But when he does stray to the kitchen or other areas, he is wearing his mask.

Just like the last time I had the flu... as soon as the Dr. did the swab, she put a mask on me to finish the rest of the exam, and told me to wear the mask at home when not isolated to a bed room.

20. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Philippians 4: 6-7

If a mask is not mandated in your area, then you have a choice. However, you could be an asymptomatic carrier. For me (atleast for now) this is a public health issue and not a political one.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    cyphertext likes this.