You need to carry more ammo...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by MaxxAction, Jan 16, 2017.

1. MaxxAction

MaxxAction

Listen to this guy's story. He is a BAMF for real.

janice6 and nursetim like this.
  2. M&P15T

M&P15T All Hail King Kona

I'm not listening to 32 minutes of horse poop.

Cliff notes please.

3. r3dot

r3dot

Ain't even gotta hit the play button to look at this guy and say "nah."

4. fastbolt

fastbolt

When I've worked with a lot of cops and private citizens on the range, and the subject of how much ammunition to carry arose, I usually offered that most guys/gals might be better served if they took the time, and invested the effort, to learn to make better use of whatever ammunition load it was that they were already carrying.

Then we could talk about whether it was necessary or feasible for them to think about carrying around up to a couple boxes of ammunition on their person ...

If carrying a lot of spare ammunition makes someone feel "safer", I'd be inclined to ask them "Why?", and then consider whether they were using the extra ammunition more as a "talisman" or rabbit's foot, or as something to offset an unspoken or unacknowledged lack of development in their skillset.

In order to prepare to address and resolve a particular 'problem', it's usually helpful to figure out what the problem is, in the first place. ;)

5. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

Well I watched the whole thing and it's legit. Very good video especially tailored to LEO training. The guy was vey lucky to had body armor on. He had some very good points.
    Of course the video is not really for the civilian, but has good points anyway. Main thing I took from it and I knew beforehand, is if you do get in a gunfight be ready to go crazy and fight to win, and don't even try and be merciful with your opponent.

chiefjack and nursetim like this.
  6. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

If you carry a G26 or comparable you will run out if time before you run out if ammo.

rock_castle likes this.
  7. Z71bill

Z71bill

If one round is enough for Barney Fife I think 12+1(my normal CC gun) or even 6+1 (small once in a while CC gun) is enough for me.

upload_2017-1-16_14-55-25.jpeg

Rotn1 and ithaca_deerslayer like this.
  8. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

IMG_8103.JPG

I bladed while taking the picture

silentpoet, pgg00, gunowner1 and 4 others like this.
  9. HalfHazzard

HalfHazzard Señor Member

Is this guy an operator? If not, I'll pass.

[​IMG]

FM12, willie_pete, silentpoet and 2 others like this.
  10. nursetim

nursetim

The late Pat Rogers advised his students to carry full sized and reloads when possible.

Good video, thanks.

11. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

He's not an "operator".

He's a real deal badass US Army Soldier.

cityborncountrylivin likes this.
  12. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Judge a book by it's cover at your own peril.

cityborncountrylivin likes this.
  13. fastbolt

fastbolt

BTW, for the cops among us, there's a lot of training seminars and conferences you can find where you can hear no shortage of stories by guys & gals who have been involved in horrific incidents (if you haven't already done so ;) ).

The "I'm Shot!" day-long seminars are particularly interesting in this respect, as the doctor who gives them always brings in some very interesting cops to speak about their experiences, most of whom were seriously injured during their incidents.

Interestingly enough, it's never really been the capacity and amount of ammunition the speakers/cops have emphasized, but their will to fight and prevail in their incidents, and realizing at some point (usually after being seriously shot/wounded themselves) that they needed to make better aimed shots against their attackers.

Yes, making aimed shots has been mentioned by a lot of them, not caliber or ammunition capacity.

One guy even specifically phrased it that as he was down to loading his last magazine (carried an issued 4006, which uses 11-round mags), with himself being shot/seriously injured and his armed attacker not yet having been hit by the cop's fire - (and the distances involved were later measured to have been from as close as 5 feet, to as far as 100 feet) - he told himself that he desperately "needed to start aiming, instead of shooting instinctively". It was after that when he hit and seriously wounded the attacker.

Another seriously wounded cop, prone in the floor after being wound, said he realized he needed to make aimed head shots in order to stop the wounded, armed suspect (wounded by 9mm rounds fired by the cops on-scene, and himself shooting a 9mm). If I remember right (without going out to dig out my notes in one of my training material bins), he said he took aim at the suspect's head and fired 3 rapidly aimed shots, until the suspect stopped shooting (and dropped). All 3 head shots hit the suspect.

I've listened to a lot of cops and cop trainers similarly express that actually aiming during shooting incidents has been realized to be critically important in a lot of shooting incidents. Sure, people can sometimes adsorb a lot of bullet hits and still function , especially by low-powered handguns and pistol caliber subguns (versus shotguns and rifles). People are resilient and able to withstand the effects of even seemingly debilitating injuries for amazing periods.

I remember when I was attending a wound ballistics seminar, and an armed commercial robbery case was described. The details are vague nowadays, but as I recall it was prolonged, with the suspect contained, and eventually a swat team was used to make an entry. The suspect took either 25 or 28 hits in his general torso (memory is vague) by 9mm JHP's fired from a MP5, and he was still up and fighting/shooting at another cop. I remember the x-ray we were shown revealing a lot of bullets scattered throughout the suspect's upper body. As I recall, the fight was ended when another cop delivered a 12GA slug to the suspect's thoracic spine, at close range.

Sometimes it may not be about ammunition capacity (or caliber), but about effectively using what you may have when trouble finds you.

TANSTAAFL.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  14. chiefjack

chiefjack

Excellent video. That guy is a WARRIOR!!

janice6 likes this.
  15. HalfHazzard

HalfHazzard Señor Member

Dude in the meme is legit.

16. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

I've seen some pretty squirrely looking dudes be some very bad asses.

17. Binge&Purge

Binge&Purge Making B&P Great Again

Barney Fife had good writers, and Mayberry didn't have any modern democrats.

mattallamerican and nursetim like this.
  18. wnr700

wnr700

Two off duty police (Jared Weston) working for Department Store
    Chase down two shop lifters
    Catch one and follow other across highway and into another property
    Tries to taz but tazer craps out
    They go hand to hand
    BG draws a .45ACP Glock and Weston takes opening shot to jaw
    He falls back down a hill
    BG keeps shooting
    Weston returns fire with .40 S+W
    BG moves in so close they go back to hand to hand
    Weston puts three to the brain fight over
    Fight lasted only seconds
    Partner arrives in time to provide first aid.

Recap... Weston shot in face, thigh, hip, and three to the vest with .45acp Ball ammo

BG... Hit in both shoulder, twice in back, once in side clipping kidney and intestines, and three to the head. Injuries would have been bleed out and die events but he kept fighting until the head shots.

Weston recommends 9mm for capacity (ballistics don't matter that much).
    Fight to the end because this BG willed to fight until lights went out
    Training (both physical and gun)

Worth the 30 minutes

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  19. Binge&Purge

Binge&Purge Making B&P Great Again

LEO doing private security work in full uniform. Shoplifters, defensive shooting, fell back on his training, survived, lots of personal commentary.

The moral of the story is if he wasn't active LE and taking a couple shoplifters into custody, it wouldn't have happened, and you won't necessarily need to hear what all he said.

20. MaxxAction

MaxxAction

I believe that anyone who carries a gun needs to consider such things. I don't know what the percentage of carry licensed, law abiding citizens that have to fight for their lives with a gun is, but I am guessing it's pretty small. That leads to a lot of complacency among a higher percentage of armed civilians.

I have shot with a bunch of people at my buddy's place who were licensed to carry, and could barely get their gun out of their holster, let alone quickly put effective rounds on target in an actual fight. One of them was downright dangerous, and put a .45 round in the ground about 10 inches in front of his right foot trying to draw his weapon.

I know everyone has to start somewhere, but some of these people had been licensed to carry for years, and never, ever, trained to use the gun on their hip. Hearing stories like this guy's might get people to take the responsibility for their lives a little more seriously.

Mark2Glock and Ramjet38 like this.