close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

You may want to look into using Portable FireFox browser (runs on thumb drive)

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Right Winger, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Right Winger

Right Winger

I ran across something really neat---a portable version of FireFox browser.

You can put it on a thumb drive (or pen drive or flash drive), carry it around with you, and browse the internet anywhere you find a USB port with internet access.

And you can import all your old Internet Explorer favorites as FireFox bookmarks.

This way you can have your very own personal "Favorites" (e.g., you can easily check work-related bookmarked web sites from home, and your personal bookmarked web sites from work.)

And you don't need to worry about prying eyes checking out what you have bookmarked in either place or what web sites you visited by checking out your "History" in Internet Explorer---the default browser that's probably running on your desktop PC.

And you can enter web browser search criteria without worrying about having to clear the history when you are finished.

I'm sure an ardent hacker can still track your usage, but the average person won't be able to.

You can run the portable FireFox without modifying, disabling, or uninstalling Internet Explorer.

And you can set FireFox to automatically fill in some of those IDs and passwords that you might otherwise not want filled in automatically.

Of course, then you need to protect the thumb drive.

Here is where to find it:

LINKY

To install, just download the ZIP file, save it to your thumb drive, and open it (it will unzip itself) to your thumb drive. It will create a "firefox" directory and all the requisite directories underneath.

To use Firefox on your thumb drive, simply double click the file PortableFirefox.exe in the firefox directory on your thumb drive.

To import IE Favorites, open IE and go File > Export. Choose Favorites and remember where you put the file.

Then open FireFox and do File > Import and point to the file you just saved.

2. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

You know I remember when just about every program under my Commodore Amiga could do that.

You could even drag an entire prgram into the ram disk to make it run faster.

3. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

4. Bronson7

Bronson7

Hmmmm, seems like a good way to get my feet wet with firefox. Im going to have to try it. Thanks for the info.
    Bronson7

5. Right Winger

Right Winger

Thanks. I found some good stuff there.

My 2-gig thumb drive enables me to do some real things.

And prices keep falling.

6. prism

prism more ammo

Hmmmmm. Now I wonder if portable firefox could run from a ramdrive. :)

7. Right Winger

Right Winger

Whoever said, "You can't take it with you" must have never owned a 2-gig thumb drive.

Or an external 120-gig hard drive.

huh?

8. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

I have both portable Firefox and portable Thunderbird on the thumb drive I wear on the chain with my MedicAlert tag. My portable Firefox has the MetroPipe privacy tool bar which gives me a VPN connection to their anonymous proxy.

I also keep PDFs of my passport, driver's license, HCP, Common Access Card, and just about every other document of importance on that (4GB) thumb drive. In this place, you can never tell when you'll have to jump out of bed and run for your life but, if I do, when the shooting stops, even if my trailer is burned to the ground, I know I'll be able to put all the big pieces back together.

9. Right Winger

Right Winger

Stay safe, Tennessee Slim. Hope you never have to use the thumb drive.

10. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

Is there any reason why you couldent run this off your ipod in disk mode?

11. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

Well, I managed to answer my own question....Yes, you can run it off an iPod. But I have no iDea what the settings on the metropipe tool bar mean or could potentially do for me. Is there some sort of tutorial or guide to the settings?

12. Right Winger

Right Winger

Not sure what you are seeing. The Portable Firefox I downloaded apparently does not include the metropipe tool bar---or if it did, I must have opted out.

I assume you have checked this:

LINK

It is some kind of privacy deal.

13. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

Metropipe is a link on their site to the thumb browser with their privacy tools already fitted....there's just no documentation. You'd have to uninstall the regular version and down lode from MP.

14. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

Metropipe is a subscription virtual private network that also 'anonymizes' your Internet access. It enables you to pierce any firewall that permits VPNs (which is, oh, ...all of them) and go anywhere on the WWW and has less administrative overhead than anonymous proxies (such as proxify.com). It is pricey (~$30/mo.) but, in my line of work, and in the region in which I'm working, it has proved more than worth it.

Information on the Firefox privacy bar is at: http://www.metropipe.net/privacybar.php

15. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

I get it....All the basic browser control features are free but the more advanced privacy stuff comes with the subscription.

16. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

Based on this thread I downloaded the portable version of FireFox... pretty cool, but it allows pop ups and some other differences from the regular FF.

17. DragonRider

DragonRider

18. Right Winger

Right Winger

I don't see many pop-ups at all.

But I have had all of my bookmarks dissappear a couple of times.

Fortunately, FF anticipates this and creates backups of all your bookmarks and gives you a way to restore them. It's just a bit tricky to figure out.