close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

You just never know who's up to what

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by racer88, Feb 21, 2010.

1. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

I was outside kicking the soccer ball around with my son. We live on a dead-end gravel road. The only people that come down either live in one of the 8 houses on our street, or they have a reason to come down it. I don't believe many people come down by "accident." Accordingly, traffic on our street is very light.

So, my son and I are kicking the ball around, and I hear a vehicle coming. Usually it's a neighbor, so there is usually an exchange of waves. But, it's a strange pick-up truck. The truck slows in front of my house and then turns into my driveway. I'm staring straight at two guys who are looking at me. They pause and then back out of my driveway, and turn back out of my street headed for the main road.

I have no idea what they were up to. Usually folks that are lost or made a wrong turn, would at least smile and wave. And, if they were on the wrong street, they had three other driveways BEFORE mine to use to turn around. I DO believe you can judge a book by its cover, and these guys were not Mormon missionaries, if you catch my drift. They weren't looking for a friend. They weren't real estate investors looking at foreclosed houses.

I don't know what they were up to, but I don't think it was any good. And, it just confirms my belief in good situational awareness and carrying concealed at ALL times.

Comments?

2. Glock30 Guy

Glock30 Guy XD40

You can never tell...may have been looking to take a leak or looking for unattended kids to grab. The world is getting worse. Even at home, I've always got something concealed on the waist or IWB.

3. para40

para40 curmudgeon

Places that were once safe, are no longer that way. As the economy gets worse, so will this. :crying:

4. RightGlock1

RightGlock1

Hope you took down the License Plate.

5. Adjuster

Adjuster

Is the road marked dead end at the entrance? A gravel road, is this a rural area?

6. Glockrunner

Glockrunner HOOYA DEEPSEA

In your opinion they looked wrong but that's OK too. Many folks think that I am upset when they first meet me too. Must be that I try to concentrate on my task at hand.

With that said, they might have been Geo-Cachers looking for the closest point of approach to a cache site.

Many different reasons for them to be there and from your observation, all legal. It is good that you had the opportunity to engage them eye to eye. Yea, we all like a friendly wave and a smile but they could have been friends discussing something important or, disagreeing to agree during a conversation over a current event too.

Remember, noisy neighbors are good neighbors. Keep up the good work and safe. Do you need to carry while out playing with your family in your own yard? An overall statement from me would be no. For some neighborhoods, a definite yes though too. They know who needs it.

Either way it turned out well for you but if you felt uneasy because of your senses, then Pleas, ratchet up the defenses and carry for a couple weeks, just in case. Can't hurt and it might ease any ill feelings you had during that encounter.

Mention your concern to your neighbors too! Those folks might have been looking to meet up with one of them for a sale mentioned online or maybe out of state visitors.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  7. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

Semi-rural. All the unpaved roads in this area are dead-ends. Most are not marked that way, however. But, it's common knowledge to anyone who frequents this area.

LOL! I'd bet the farm they weren't geo-cachers! Trust me... these guys don't even know what that is.

They both looked right at me, and not just a glance. They actually paused before backing out.

Noisy or nosy? ;) I guess the argument could be made for both in the right circumstances! :)

I never thought I'd need to carry playing outside. And, my neighborhood is not a "war zone." Far from it. But, for the past several months, I've carried concealed as long as I'm not sleeping. And, this was just another situation where it felt good to know it was there.

I have good neighbors on all sides. We talk, and we look out for each other.

8. bambikilr

bambikilr

agree, most people in rural areas would smile, nod, wave, ask for directions etc...but someone from the city might be thinking oh crap, what now...ya never know, but i agree, that's why i carry 24/7...& have to agree with RightGlock1...always get a tag #, write it down & keep it...again, ya never know

9. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

Didn't get a tag. And, point taken.

10. Glockrunner

Glockrunner HOOYA DEEPSEA

Obviously, you don't know anything about these folks or, you woundn't have been concerned enough to post here, so how is it that you know they couldn't know about Geocacheing?

What more, could their GPSr maybe malfunctioned and directed to your road? What I am doing to giving eamples, not making excuses for their behavior. Their brief stare could have been a state of confusion, you can't really state anything different, not knowing them.

Yes, I meant nosy and not noisy.

No real harm was done you and they didn't exhibit any other anxious behavior like being caught doing something wrong so I wouldn't be too concerned yet myself.

I life on a Cul-D-Sac. I see people pull boners all week because it is a confusing neighborhood to drive in. Even pull over and park in front of my house for minutes at a time. I do let them know I know they are there.
    And I have called police too when they spend, what I think is, too much time there. Once found that it was a undercover car doing surviellance!

I did not reply to be confrontational just thought I could help to maybe ease your mind. Take it for whatever it is worth to you.

11. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

Hey Glockrunner. I didn't take your post as confrontational. It's all good. :) I appreciate your comments. If you saw these two guys and what they were driving, you'd probably make the same assumption about whether they were familiar with geo-caching. Trust me, there was no GPS in this vehicle. These guys wouldn't know what hackey-sack is, either. Yes, I'm stereotyping, but I know I'm right. :)

Again... I'm not saying that I'm convinced they were bad guys. It's more likely they are innocent. But, my spidey senses were tingling, but they didn't start that way. I looked right at them. They stared back without a wave or any gesture. They didn't immediately back out. They paused for several seconds and stared at me. THEN they backed out and drove away. It went from normal to weird in a few seconds. I trust my instincts. Read "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin DeBecker. Very good book on this very thing.

PS... My home was burglarized last October. So, I've been a bit on "high alert" since then.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  12. RightGlock1

RightGlock1

Our neighborhood had a rash of vehicle break-ins in the past 6 months. There isn't a strange vehicle that enters the neighborhood (when I'm outside) that I don't take a license tag number down on. We live in a cul-de-sac. When they go down the street and turn back around, I purposely walk to the mailbox (timing it as they go by), glance at their tag, look in the mail box, they drive by, look again at the tag as they pass. I write them down in note pad with a description of the vehicle and the occupants. We know who lives on the block and who frequents (visits) the neighbors. Call it paranoid or being nosy, better safe than sorry.

13. flagg

flagg

they probably just took a wrong turn.

but you're right — carry everywhere, always. even to the mailbox.

14. HandyMan Hugh

HandyMan Hugh NRA Life Member

YES! Trust your spidey senses. Many people with evil on their mind will get a little hinkey in their behaviour just prior to doing IT. Sometimes they will study you in order to see if you are indeed a suitable victim. Some others will ask you for something like the time, or for a cigarette, or even s few dollars. This is a test to see just how "compliant" a person you are. Keep a safe distance from these crooks. How you respond to them may well determine how they will start their crime. Be ready for the worst, and respond with more than adequate force.

15. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

Good job being prepared and aware. Even if the people turned out to be completely harmless, carrying your gun didn't hurt anything.

16. PeteCamp

PeteCamp

Just pointing out the obvious here in a non-confrontational way. You are making a fatal assumption that all crime occurs only in neighborhoods where you should obviously be armed. Most criminals are not interested in what the poor folks in their neighborhood have that isn't worth stealing. They are interested in what folks in upscale neighborhoods have. Neighborhoods like yours.

When was the last time you read or heard of a home invasion in a slum? Statistics say you'll have 3-4 seconds to retrieve a weapon. How fast can you run?

And guess what other bad news comes with this? There is a heightened police presence in the criminals' neighborhood because of drug dealing, prostitution etc. When you dial 911 their response will not be as fast, because your city probably has fewer officers working the "nice neighborhoods."

Respectfully, I think you need to re-think this. Be safe.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  17. MarcoPolo

MarcoPolo

+1 on "Trust your spidey senses"!

18. rohanreginald

rohanreginald Novice

Everyone should have an emergency day pack. It should be packed with one change of clothes, a simple first aid kit, some snack food, and a bottle or two of drinkable water.

In the above mentioned situation, I believe that your proper action would have been to grab your kid and run inside the house to your emergency day pack. After grabbing the pack, then you then should flee the immediate area by the fastest means possible. Once you have obtained at a minimum a 5 mile distance from where the situation occured, you can then call for help.

19. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

You left out the obvious! Make sure you grab your can of ammo. 1000 rounds of .223 at the very least! ;)

20. RightGlock1

RightGlock1

Is this from the Illinois urban survival guide written by none other than the "Mess-iah"? :rofl: