close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

You guys would be so proud of me...

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by BCR, Nov 20, 2006.

1. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

I did deadlifts the other day for the first time!

It's just one of those lifts that I never got into doing. Not really sure why, just never did them.

I must say I like them! Since it was my first time I only went with 225 for two sets of 10 after a warm up with 135. I made sure I got a full lock out with each rep.

I followed them up with lat pull downs (instead of my usual bent rows) and shrugs (one of my favorites).

I'm really feeing it in my hams, lower back and lower traps.

Does that sound correct?

2. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

I recommend against doing deadlifts for more than three reps. It is too easy for your form to degrade on the last few reps and that leads to injury. Congrats on doing them, and stick with it. The deadlift will not only make you strong, but if you really work on building your max, it will make you tougher.

3. DBradD

DBradD

Hmmm, what is a crossfitter to do? The other day's WoD was rounds of 225 deadlifts and handstand pushups for time, 21 reps, 15 reps, 9 reps.

I agree with your assessment by the way, but all I know to do is break them into subsets when I feel so tired that my form is breaking and be really careful.

4. DBradD

DBradD

Sounds right to me. It's about time you tried the greatest back exercise ever devised! :banana: :banana: 225 lbs just starting out ain't bad either.

As an almost related topic, maybe next time you can order a side helping of pull-ups. My lats don't even get sore from pull-downs and my biceps don't get sore from curls. They both get sore from pull-ups!

5. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

I'll keep the lower reps in mind. The last thing I want is an injury.

Right now I'm just taking baby steps.

One question: when I lower the bar between reps, should it just tap the floor, or come to a full rest? I was just letting the weights tap the floor.

6. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

I'm looking forwad to bumping the weight up on my deadlifts.

I used to do wide grip pull ups, but have been doing bent rows, lat pull downs and shrugs for a few months now.

I agree pull ups are much more effective. I'll have to work them back in. It's time to mix things up again.;)

7. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Sounds right to me too.

AND

I do not know what to say about this. On the one hand I agree with ateamer, except I put my rep limit at 5.

On the other hand, I started weigh training to do 350x20 in the DL. Accomplished that barely, and never got hurt. But the thought scares me now.

Brad, my take on the high rep DLs in xfit is that; is 225 really going to hurt anyone? It really isn't that much weight is it? Now I think say once you get to say 315 or higher, than you could really screw something up.

BTW BCR, deads are a great addition. Congrats!

Jack

8. DBradD

DBradD

Scares me too, if not for the fear of injury, then for fear of brutal agonizing pain! Makes me want to throw up just thinking about it.

It's not a lot of weight, but that's for a stereotypical 175 lb male, not a big guy or a competitive lifter. Bigger and stronger guys probably do 315 or more, but it seems sensible to scale it or they wouldn't get a workout.

For this past time, my approach was to break 21 up into subsets and try and hold good form. I think I might be able to do 21 straight even now, but I stopped at 12, stood back and took about a 10 second rest, then did about 4-5 at a time with very short rests to 21.

BTW, that's the "Diane" workout, alternating deadlifts and HSPU. It was the 2nd or 3rd CF workout I did a month ago and it took me 16 minutes and the whole rest of the day to not feel like I was going to die. I did it again Friday and I was down to 11:37 and felt almost completely recovered in probably 5 minutes. That gassed feeling is getting less severe. Back's obviously completely fine now. I'm pretty psyched at the moment (but that could change...)

9. DBradD

DBradD

I'm not ateamer and will defer to what the other guys say if they disagree, but I vote for bringing it to a complete stop and relaxing the prestretch in your legs, butt, and back. Then start the next rep. Being a former powerlifter, it just doesn't seem like a deadlift otherwise, LOL.

10. California Jack

Either is acceptable. Some say to reset each rep. Marty Gallagher for one says kiss and go each rep. Me personally, I reset.

Brad, I wasn't really trying to say 225 was a baby weight or anything, I'm just saying, doesn't it take more than that to hurt yourself?

11. DBradD

DBradD

No misunderstanding. It's all relative to background.

For a competitive lifter, I'd say that 225 is a baby weight considering that most can do stiff legged deadlifts with a lot more than that. How much "worse deadlift form" can one get than SLD?

There are a lot of 175 lb guys who might be generally in good shape, maybe working cardio and bodybuilding routines for example, who would have trouble lifting 225 for high reps.

Overall, I agree that it's not too startling for most of us. I love deadlifts. Other than maybe the olympic lifts, nothing says strength and power like deadlifts. There's no argument about whether somebody went low enough, bounced the bar off the chest, or whatever. It was either lifted or it wasn't...period! There's just something cool about that. We need a deadlift smilie.

12. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Ok thanks guys!

Like Cal jack said, I figured once I really get into the swing of things I'll probably stick to 5 reps.

And referring to DBradD as "Brad" is confusing the heck out of me, because my name is Brad too!;)

13. DBradD

DBradD

I think about 25% of the population born between 1965 and 1975 were named Brad, LOL. We're expecting a girl in February and we looked at the top 100 lists to figure out what NOT to name her.

It'll be funny when we find out that Jack, Mossy, and ateamer are also named Brad!

14. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

:rofl:

15. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

Steve here!:laughabove::animlol:

16. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

Sounds Correct to me.:thumbsup:

17. Arkroyal

Arkroyal Sailing on.

Dead lifts are fun. I like to do them towards the end of a workout, that way most everything is warmed up. I may start out with 10 reps at half weight, and I do put it down. followed by 5 reps at three quarter weight, followed by 2 reps at 95 percent, and the last for max. It's a short lifting session but heavy.you don't get definition, but you do get strong. I'm 5'9" and 265 lbs. I'm not as strong as I used to be, I'm getting old!

start at 325 lbs,x 10. 500lbs x 5, 600 lbs x 2, and 650 + x1 to finish.

I have short legs, so dont have to lift too far.:supergrin:

18. California Jack

Sorry Brad, errrr, BCR well BCRBrad.

But no, I go by Jack. Brad is only my middle name. Just kidding.

Arkroyal, that's some impressive lifting! BTW, your hometown is beautiful.

Jack

19. Arkroyal

Arkroyal Sailing on.

Well thanks a lot Jack, at the moment it's 8 degrees. clear, and it will be a nice sunrise. If I could just figure out how to post a pic, I would show you! (any volunteers).:wavey:

20. California Jack

I'm not smart enough to post photos Ark or I'd volunteer.

This summer I was one of the thousands of people that invade your beautiful city for a day by ship. It's truly beautiful. Great halibut and you can't beat Alaska Brewing Pale Ale. I'm envious.