Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

2121 - 2140 of 2150 Posts

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,121
A modest PR. I'm up to 83 push-ups (1 set, no locked-out rest at the top, chest-to-floor) in my attempt to hit 100. I'm stalling a bit now, but I'm determined to make progress. I started around 5 weeks ago at around 45ish (I didn't keep a log when I started, so not really sure).

·
Khem-Adam
2,410 Posts
I recently snatched 150lbs. Not a lot, but I'll be damned if it wasn't exciting.

·
woo woo
30,890 Posts
Bleh.....9 mons into new job, new hours and different schedule. Been to the gym about 8x, way down on strength, lost about 25lbs weight.
Cardio is still very good though, from biking, but I'm about 50lbs off each on DL,SQ and BP.
It's rough.:faint:
Gotta get with the program.

·
Khem-Adam
2,410 Posts
I snatched 155 yesterday. It was after a fairly long training session. I was pretty fired up and the weight went up smoothly.

After some shoulder issues which has really hurt my clean&jerk, I hit 200lbs shortly after my snatch PR. It isn't much, but I recently had to drop about 40lbs off my clean&jerk to work my way back up.

I'm not online a whole lot, but I hope to catch my log up sometime soon.

·
Spongy Member
2,044 Posts
A bit of a DL milestone for me today. Workset of 315x5.

Long way until I get another 45 on there though....we'll make a round 350 the next goal.

ETA Haiku format for CJ

Today the deadlift.
Personal best 315.
Until next Friday.
Dragging up an old one for laughs. I fell off the wagon somewhere between 2009 and now but have been on a pretty good strength run of late. Pulled a PR 335x5 on Sunday.

I always feel better when I'm lifting...don't know why I allow myself to fall off the wagon.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,128
Wow, resurrecting an old thread. I used to love this thread - very motivating when you have a small, like-minded group to share with. Thanks for bumping it.

Nice work, Cinic! I think I'm the same way... I feel better when I'm lifting, especially when hitting PRs on a regular basis.

I've been pretty solid on 5/3/1 for a while now. I am sticking to this until the gains stop. I got tired of program-hopping.

Within the last few months, I've hit a few PRs:
- Press 230
- Bench 330
- DL 440
- Bench 225 x 20
- plus a bunch of repped PRs

Still targeting to get the following:
- press 2 plates
- bench 3 plates
- squat 4 plates
- DL 5 plates (also, DL 500# by 50 y.o.)

I want to get these all on the same day, not on separate days (sort of as if I were competing in a meet). If I'm just counting individual lifts on separate days, I just need the DL still.

Body-weight is around 200 (finally broke 200!) but still in the same sized clothes from when I was 175.

Based on current progress, I feel like I can hit 235-240 press, 350-360 bench, and possibly 460 DL by the end of the year. Not much movement in the squat, unfortunately.

A side note: I bought the SlingShot a few months ago. Boy, do I love this thing. It really helps me overload the bar and be comfortable doing so. I lift alone at home, so it also helps build confidence in how much I can lift off on my own.

·
Spongy Member
2,044 Posts
Damn TurboRocket - that is an impressive press number. All impressive numbers actually - but you don't see many guys pressing two plates.

I'm petering out on my semi-old-guy linear progression. I had been making good gains squatting 2x/week and DL once along with alternating press & bench. But I was having trouble recovering from the volume of 3x5 PR sets twice a week. And I was pretty tired from the squats which made a heavy pull after even more difficult. So I switched one day to a light day at around 90% of the PR. That's been working for 3-4 weeks. My log isn't in front of me, but I believe tonight is my first ever attempt of squatting 300#. Hopefully all goes well. If not, I've been practicing failing at squats so I'm not afraid to attempt reps that I'm not sure I can get.

·
Spongy Member
2,044 Posts
Squatted 300x5x3 last night. Was just going to attempt one set then do a couple back off sets. But I feltt pretty good so I went for it. Next mini-goal is the 3 wheel squat.

·
NRA Member
17,703 Posts
Well, not recent PRs but here's a little on where I'm at. Looking back years ago in this thread, it was when I struggled with a shoulder injury. Got through that without surgery. My workouts typically include (not all in the same day)
Bench press - I work up to 275. Not sure where my max press is since I don't want to get hurt again.

Push presses - work up to 175

Deadlifts - work up to 315

Linear leg press - usually work up to 810. I have pressed 900, but I don't typically go that high.

And I do a variety of others - land mines, tricep and bicep exercises, clean and press, and several different ab exercises.

I prefer bigger exercises that work several muscles - e.g., clean and press, deadlifts, push presses, etc.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,133
Labor Day composite 1-rep max test...

Press 235#, +5 from March, +15 since Jan 1
Squat 405#, no change from March, +5 since Jan 1
Bench 350#, +20 from March, +34 since Jan 1
Deadlift 455#, +15 from March, +35 since Jan 1

Cracking a 1200# powerlifting total for the first time.

Still need lots more squat and DL work.

In March, I tested the lifts on separate days. On January 1, all four lifts were tested on the same day, just like today.

·
Spongy Member
2,044 Posts
I said it before - but you're a strong dude TR. I'm envious.

I PR'd sets across squatting again last night. 310 x 5 x 3. Will attempt the 3 wheel goal next week.

Pulled 350 x 4 - (couldn't get #5) last Sunday. I think the 10# jump over 340 was too much. I'll try 355 this weekend and see what happens.

My right AC joint has been bothering me so I've been limiting press and bench press. At heavy BP efforts, I have a hard time keeping my shoulders retracted and it hurts (bad) anytime I let them forward. I've gone back down on the bench to efforts that I can complete w/o pain. Also working on some extra rowing exercises with some ISO holds to try and train that retraction.

·
Spongy Member
2,044 Posts
Hit the milestone of 315x5,5,5 last night. Hardest thing I've ever done in the gym. Last rep was a slow grind and I got somewhat out on my toes. Hell, the last two of each set were grinders but only the very last one was out of balance.

I get a weird anxiety when I'm about to get under the bar for a PR squat. I can be sitting there between sets w/ my HR down under 100. As soon as I start getting ready to get under it, the HR jumps way up and I'm anxious/scared. Maybe I need to practice missing reps some more. I've done it some and never had a problem. So I'm not really sure what I'm afraid of....

·
NRA Member
17,703 Posts
Any of you guys do single shoulder land mines? Just curious. What kind of weight you're moving. I had a shoulder injury years ago and I've found this exercise to be really helpful.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,137
Hit the milestone of 315x5,5,5 last night. Hardest thing I've ever done in the gym. Last rep was a slow grind and I got somewhat out on my toes. Hell, the last two of each set were grinders but only the very last one was out of balance.

I get a weird anxiety when I'm about to get under the bar for a PR squat. I can be sitting there between sets w/ my HR down under 100. As soon as I start getting ready to get under it, the HR jumps way up and I'm anxious/scared. Maybe I need to practice missing reps some more. I've done it some and never had a problem. So I'm not really sure what I'm afraid of....

Nice job, Cinic. It's healthy to be a little scared/anxious on a PR set :) I still get that way myself.

·
Registered
11,013 Posts
Some good lifts in here!

I just hit 335lbs for a back squat PR on Monday.

Getting back into 5/3/1 myself.

Reactions: BradD

·
Registered
198 Posts
Any of you guys do single shoulder land mines? Just curious. What kind of weight you're moving. I had a shoulder injury years ago and I've found this exercise to be really helpful.
Got any youtube videos of what you're talking about? My shoulders have always been good until recently, when they've started to feel "junky" for lack of a better term.
Thanks!

2121 - 2140 of 2150 Posts