You Fat Fockers

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by cop1215, Nov 14, 2005.

1. cop1215

cop1215 GLOCKS KICK ASS

come on now,lets get some health/fitness/weight training related discussions rolling....i love "getting my flex on" and work out with weights 4 days a week....i am a manbeast,thats all i know to say.....you all cant be that uninterested in fitness stuff can you?....post,post,post.

2. DBradD

DBradD

I used to be stronger than de bull, but that was 12 years ago. Now I'm just a mid-30s guy trying to get by and not become a fat butt.

Sorry - I guess that's not inspiring or interesting so nevermind.

DBD

3. Britt

Britt What?

I am 32 and way stronger than I have ever been in my life (and better shape too) so don't use the mid-30's thing as an excuse. ;f

4. DBradD

DBradD

I'm not. Time is my excuse.

I did restart lifting weights from 30 to 32 years old and got my bench up to the point that it was when I was 21, so I agree.

My son is almost old enough to lift weights. When he gets to 11, we're gonna hit the gym and I plan to be way stronger at 40 than 21. We'll see. The point is that the working out will serve double time, exercise + family time.

DBD

5. walangkatapat

walangkatapat Millennium Member

Don't worry about fat butt, cause your butt will go and your gut will grow. ;f that is if you let it. ;)

6. DBradD

DBradD

I really need to get back in the gym. I've held steady at about 20-25 lbs overweight for about 5 years, trying running, weightlifting, stairmaster, etc, without results. Over the last 6 weeks, I've lost 17 lbs by counting calories and doing light amounts of cardio. Two belt loops in 6 weeks - I'd say that ain't bad.

I just had to get over the idea that dieting is inferior to exercise for weight loss. Dieting is unbelievably more effective at taking off the fat. I feel fine too and am not hungry. I just cut out the inefficient junk calories.

Now I'm planning stage two: settling into a good workout schedule to maintain muscle mass and get stronger and healthier. I'm in fair cardio shape. We just got our membership at the weight club today. I'm planning to go back to my basic compound exercises 4 sets of 8 reps typical workout.

DBD

7. DBradD

DBradD

I forgot to comment on it before, but that is soooo true. I don't plan to be one of these guys who look like an apple on a couple of toothpicks!

Have a good weekend. (thinking ahead)
    DBD

8. walangkatapat

walangkatapat Millennium Member

It's definitely a lifestyle change for most, especially when you hit the big 40. Eating habits and exercise go hand in hand if changes need to be made.

9. cop1215

cop1215 GLOCKS KICK ASS

i just turned 32 and i figger if i work really hard for a few years i will be a manbeast for life.i aint gonna wait till im 40 to get it done either.i dont want to be 50-60 years old and hobbling around like a 90 year old.

10. seamus

seamus

I'm 48 and ran my fourth marathon in Chicago this year. I like to lift also but not to be a man-beast mostly to stay strong and maintain balance between developing my fast twitch and slow twitch muscle groups.;b

11. rookieshooter43

rookieshooter43

I'm 22 and play semi-professional football. I weight train 4-5 days a week. I'm 5'11 and weigh 205-210 lbs.

I used to be a personal trainer so any questions on strength training just let me know. I will answer them as best I can

12. jlw_84

jlw_84 General Glocker

I finally got back to working out after a few year hiatus.

Just pasted the 1 month goal and I pressed 205lbs three times. I hope to keep on an unwritten scedule and reach 300lbs by next summer and get my two mile run time down to 16 minutes.

13. McKirdyP

McKirdyP

After two months solidly into this training series, I am back at 275 in sets of 7 flat bench. My squats and deadlifts are still lagging behind in the low two hundreds. However, I don't powerlift anymore, if I cannot lift it 7 times or more I don't lift it. Bench Deads and Squats though and I spend 30 minutes on the treadmill everyday too, because I'm too fat(too much desk commando time). At 33 though, I feel more powerful than ever. That is a true fact though. That through maturity of the human body it actually does become harder and stronger. Lou was given as an example earlier. In his earlier years he didn't look anything near what he did much later on. The only reason he didn't beat out Arnold was because he was on a different timeline because he was so freakin huge.

hehehehehe You said manbeast.

14. McKirdyP

McKirdyP

Since this seems to have taken a tac on training. What is everyone's routine?

My brother came up with a pretty nice one. Which was close to where I was except I didnt have things split out as well, and I was destroying my energy reserves for later in the day. Now things are pretty tight and getting stronger cardio and anaerobic.

4 days. 30 minutes treadmill at the start of every session. then Roman chairs for lower back and abs. THen:

day 1 Back Straight-Leg Deads T-Bar Low Rows PullDowns
    day 2 Chest Flat Bench Incline Bench Cable CrossOvers
    Day 3 Legs Calf Raises Leg Curls Incline Press Squats
    day 4 Shoulders Standing Military behind the neck Shrugs DB laterals and front raises

Generally 3 to 5 sets of 7 to 10 reps. Generally 10 9or8 7

Yes they are in alphabetical order, zero thought for remember where you are if you have to shift days within the week. Each routine generally takes right at one hour gym time which allows me to be gone from work only about 1.5 hours. I make sure and go through 2 liters of water prior to lifting and 2 liters after throughout the rest of the day. I keep an all natural trail mix on my desk. I have eggs in the morning and fiber it up at night. Has been working pretty well so far.

I plan on reaching sets of 7 on 315 and just start to climb the reps after that. I think 3 sets of 15 reps at 315 would be awesome to do on Bench Deads and Squat. ~2

15. DBradD

DBradD

I'm about 2 weeks into my new workout after a couple years hiatus, so everything is about 3 sets of 10, although I find myself completely stalling out from lack of energy after 3-4 reps on some sets. This goes away thankfully after a few workouts!

Really simple:

Monday: Squats, Leg Curls, Calf Raises, Decline Situps (yeah, I know, old-timey, but I get a lot more sore from these than crunches!), Hanging Leg Raises, Side Bends

Tuesday: Bench Press, Incline Press, Barbell Curls, Preacher Curls, Wrist Curls, Reverse Wrist Curls

Thursday: Deadlifts, Barbell Rows, Pulldowns (switching to pullups when I get in a bit better shape, can only do a few sets of 5-6 at the moment), Shrugs, Stiff-Legged Deadlifts

Friday: Overhead Press, Laterals, Bentover Laterals, Lying Triceps Extensions, Seated Dumbell Triceps Extensions

I think this is a fairly good beginner workout, BTW, and is not much different than the one I did year after year when I competed in powerlifting, just altering the reps and sets depending on proximity to contests.

DBD