Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it was weird that when the excellent Walther PPQ came out with the magazine release on the trigger guard, every gun writer said it was a great gun, but in the US it needs to have a Magazine release button on the side, or it would not sale. Actually, the trigger guard is much better for most people.

So Walther came out with a M2 with the magazine button on the side. Instead of just complaining they could have explained the advantages, but that is not my point.
fast forward to a little over a year ago and H&K comes out with the VP9 with the magazine release on the triggerguard and it was not even as good as Walther's was/is.

I have yet to read or hear anything from our experts of the gun rags, that H&K shouold move the mag. release to the side. In fact some were even saying it was easier to have it on the trigger guard. Can saomeone explain the different treatmennt to me. I had a hard time locating an M1 PPQ a year ago, which is still made for the EU market.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Because the same old "we're HK, and you suck!" applies. If it's HK, it's perfect, if it's anyone else's firearm, they do not know what they are doing. Germanic snobbery, nothing more. I know it well. I have 2 HK rifles, owned several HK pistols over the years and my wife is 2nd Gen German Immigrant. And that's OK, 'cause it's always been that way. HK pays for that attitude in poor sales. As of late, them seem to have finally realized it, and are now seemingly trying to change. They are or have built a US manufacturing plant. I wish them well in that endeavor.

BtW, I had a VP9 for a short time. Well built, quality pistol. Felt good in the hand, easy to shoot well. But, to disassemble it fully, a person has to break out the pin punches and hammer away. Unh-uh, not me. Been there, done that w/ S&W M&P's. No more, as I consider that a cheap, fast way to build a throw away pistol for fast money from the masses. And I am a full Armorer and Gunsmith. I know that it's a common way to build a polymer pistol. I consider it a basic no frills, fast engineering. If Glock and SIG can make a no tools required for dis-assembly pistol, so can everyone else. But then again, due to an basic mechanical engineering background, I tend to judge firearms by their engineering and design. It's a failing of mine.
And of course, YMMV. :supergrin:

·
NRA Benefactor
5,779 Posts
I like my HK's. My best pistol in my USP40. My VP9 took awhile to get used to but it is improving.

One thing about HK is that they do not stand by convention. The VP70 and P7 guns were interesting. The HK4 was innovative for their first pistol. I would like to say caseless ammo, but Daisy had it years before.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
The VP series will soon be getting versions with button mag releases.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
The VP series will soon be getting versions with button mag releases.
That would be great! March, can I ask where did you come by this info, I would like to look.

·
Practically a saint
6,436 Posts
I have a VP9. It's my car gun. Shoots well enough, feels fine but I prefer my Glocks and Springers (so it's for sale for $400+shipping if anyone is interested).

My friends Walther looked exaclty like it side by side. We traded at the range and I liked the Walther a bit better mostly because of the Walther's trigger guard mag release being easier to work.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
OMG! You're all wrong!

VANILLA BEAN is the best!!!!!!

I actually prefer the HK paddle release. Makes mag changes quicker for me. And I'm issued a Glock 31 and shoot it the most but I prefer the HK.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Thanks, March. It looks like HK designed the VP9 w/ a button release, as well as the paddle. I wonder if the will release it.
And I do not mind a paddle release, I carried a Walther PPS original for several years, and it had a paddle release. It worked well, and it was fast, too. You use your trigger finger, and if you have small hands, you don't have to do the "Cooper Flip" to get your thumb on a thumb button mag release. Like I said, paddle releases work very well. Of course, YMMV.

·
Super Moderator
19,016 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,016 Posts

·
Banned
65,070 Posts
I can work with either the paddle or the side button, but if I were to have my druthers, I'd take the paddle.

Apparently the gripes to Walther came from a bunch of American **** nancy pants boiz, which then resulted in the lesser accurate PPQ M2 side button release model.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.