close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Yost Bonitz Glock sights

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Muncus Agruncus, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Muncus Agruncus

Muncus Agruncus

I have been looking at the Glock sights offered by Yost Bonitz, and wanted to hear from GT members who have their Glocks equiped with these sights. What do you use thess sights for ie Target, EDC,duty, or HD? How easy were they to install?

2. Muncus Agruncus

Muncus Agruncus

3. domzilla9

domzilla9 Phone Flinger

I've been interested in the Yost Bonitz Glock "Retro" sight for a while. I've yet to actually see a gun with the sight installed except in photos.

-The rear sight couldn't possibly be difficult to install. It's a rear blade that loosely friction fits the Glock rear dovetail and has a set screw.

-As for what "duty" they are best suited for, that's a really subjective question. I have plain black sights on most of my guns, yet most gunshop commandos would insist that only night sights are suitable for defensive purposes or edc.

Brownells sells the Yost Glock rear but I think you have to go direct to Yost for his front sight, which might be a dovetail that requires machining the slide. The Yost rear will work with a variety of fronts, just like any rear blade.

Yost is, by all accounts, an excellent gunsmith but it doesn't appear to me that his rear sight has a lot of broad appeal. That could largely be due to marketing. I'd bet dollars to donuts its a quality product just based on his reputation.

4. Speedrock

Speedrock "To The Point"

Have a set of the YB sights for Glock. Their attraction is nice very fine serattions and relatively wide rear notch of .150". Problem is front is one height only, about .200", so requires filing for virtually all applications. On the 34 the sights were on the fron wound up being lower in height than even the fat, squat Trijicons which are LOW! So you're screwed if you want to swithch to a fiber optic front or a tritium front as no one am aware of makes Glock fronts that damn low! Good idea but poor execution.

What they did was copy the old Colt sight that simplt sat in and above the exisiting factory dovetail, no need for the same on a Glock especially as most have less than the 5" bbl. of the old Govt. Model. FWIW, If I want a low prifile sight would have gone with Novak's "Carry" sights as can get them just about any way ya' want these days.

5. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

You'd get donuts to eat, dom. :thumbsup:

I too imagine that Yost doesn't sell nearly as many as he does the ones for the 1911. I have his rear on a 1911 GI gun that I wanted to keep very simple; the things that make it shoot are on the inside. ;)

The rear was slightly oversized as it should be. About a dozen strokes along the bottom on some 600-grit and it fit about halfway in, a brass punch finished the job and it was already snug. Took to the range, checked for windage, tightened set screw with some blue loctite (the screw isn't bearing any load really). I had John Harrison at Precision Gun Works stake on a nice serrated ramp (.125") that was intentionally too high, filed for elevation zero and the result is a very understated package with a sight pic that looks like a race-cut Heinie. Extremely pleased and get many comments about that Yost as to what a nice sight it is

I'm not sure about the mania of everything having to be swept back ala Novak; the basic angle on most sights (including factory Glock polymers) has enough sweep to not impede drawing the gun. I guess I need another Glock to experiment with, but would imagine that a Yost rear with just a Tritium dot up front would be a nice workmanlike solution. If I were to do that, I'd get the rear first (Brownell's), leave the stock Glock front on (which is about a .160-165 front), and then see where it shot so I could just get the correct front height the first time.

Good bet! Enjoy your donuts. :supergrin:

:patriot:

6. Speedrock

Speedrock "To The Point"

"If I were to do that, I'd get the rear first (Brownell's), leave the stock Glock front on (which is about a .160-165 front), and then see where it shot so I could just get the correct front height the first time."

You would get a Donut too.....

Glocks fat, squat OEM front won't even be in the next Ballpark:

The 34's a fellow and myself tried them on, needed the front filed down to .134-.135" in height to acheive proper POI, with handloads using good Jkt'd. stuff from M. Gold, Zero, Speer, XTP's in 124/124 gr......and it's .135-.138" wide, FWIW.

7. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Your comment jogged me to look back and, doing that, I see that I wasn't clear in places where I was thinking height but might look like I was talking about width. Just to clarify, the Yost notch I mic'd right at .140 wide. The front I had put on was .125 wide. The front started life at about .185 high and ended up coming down to about .155, which is a tad lower than a stock Glock.
    Now you can enjoy your donuts too! :supergrin: