close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Yorkshire terrier questions--Good breed?

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Dogbite, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Dogbite

Dogbite DNT TREAD ON ME

I am interested in this breed,but i am worried about getting a breed that has varied health problems,and is always at the vet.Is it possible to have a healthy,(almost)problem free yorkshire terrier?I would like to hear from any of you who have owned one of these little dogs--thanks!

2. noneyet

noneyet

Well with any dog good health comes from the start. I do not really know much about Yorkies personally but like all pure bred animals make sure you check up on the place you get the dog. Alot of inbreeding goes on in pure bred animals that will cause animals to be sick. Just do your homework & ask around. Good luck

3. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

In the past eight years or so, my cousin has bought two pure bred Yorkies.

He lost the first one when he moved into an apartment that didn't allow pets. His grandmother took her in. Later, when he moved out he just got a second as he didn't want to take his dog back from Grandma who had gotten attached.

Neither have had any major health problems. I don't recall anything other than shots requiring a trip to the vet...

4. DEUCE-DOBE

DEUCE-DOBE Landshark&Sis'

First, VERY VERY VERY VERY IMPORTANT: go to this website, and make sure the breeder can answer all these questions (2 pages worth):

http://www.petpeoplesplace.com/Care/Dogs/003/16.htm

Secondly, a good friend of mine owns a Yorkie (named Keebler). He's a great little dog. Smart. Active. Affectionate. My male Doberman 'saved' one of these guys about 2 months ago... found it cowering in a bush (it was lost), and coaxed it out with some licks and sniffs. We found the owner and all went well.

5. 1loneranger

1loneranger

I had a yorkie named DeeDee (Desiree Contessa) she was great! So smart and clever. When I have the money for another her name will be Barbie Ann M____ BAM! DeeDee was put to sleep at 14 because she could not see and the left frontleg and the right rear leg quit working. No problems from her at all! I forgot to saw she was pure breed.

6. Dogbite

Dogbite DNT TREAD ON ME

Thanks for the info guys!