close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Yoots kill canine.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by armorplated, Feb 9, 2010.

1. armorplated

armorplated

Boys kill Elizabethton police dog

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/News/article.php?ID=73787

ELIZABETHTON — A Saturday afternoon incident between five boys and an Elizabethton Police Department police dog led to the death of the dog on Sunday. Three boys were treated for dog bites at the Sycamore Shoals Hospital Emergency Room.
    The dog, Yoris, was a Belgian malinois and was a two-year veteran of the Elizabethton Police Department. He was euthanized on Sunday after suffering numerous injuries, including knife stabbings.

Yoris was the partner of K-9 officer Shane Darling. Darling was in Florida over the weekend on family business when Yoris somehow got out of his kennel. The dog apparently wandered onto an open grassy field off Sunrise Drive that was part of the Elizabethton Municipal Airport property.

The circumstances surrounding the dog’s death remain cloudy and an investigation is continuing.

According to a report by the Carter County Sheriff’s Department, there were three 16-year-old boys on the field, playing a game they called “air soft,” when the dog came onto the field.

The boys told Sgt. Brian Durham of the sheriff’s department that the dog started biting two of them. The third boy ran over to help his friends. He said they had to stab the dog several times in their attempt to get away from the dog.

Durham said each of the three boys were injured. He said two of the boys had small injuries due to dog bites. The third boy was transported to Sycamore Shoals by ambulance because of his injuries.

The mother of the third boy said her son suffered bites to his lower back, spine and buttocks, but the worst bite was to his left forearm.

She said there had actually been five boys playing air soft, a game like paint ball, but using plastic pellets shot from air rifles. She said the boys were heavily padded to protect them from the pellets and that helped prevent the bites from being worse.

She said the boys were frightened of the dog and thought it might have been a wolf. She said one of the boys jumped in his car and has still not been seen a day later. She said the dog jumped on one of the boy’s back. Her son came to the aid of his friend and tried to get the dog off. That is when the dog turned on him, according to the mother. The other boys then came to his aid and began stabbing the dog.

In the midst of the struggle, she said the boys accidentally stabbed her son twice, once in the forehead and once in the forearm.

The boy is recovering at home. His mother said he is taking strong antibiotics and pain medication.

She said she does not believe the boys went on the property where the dog was located, but believes the dog might have become alarmed by the sounds of the boys’ guns and struggled out of its kennel.

“I am sorry to hear the dog died. We are animal lovers. The dog probably thought it was doing the right thing ... I know how pets become a part of the family, but my main concern is for my child.”

A nearby resident who witnessed the incident gave a different story.

David Ward said his mother called him to look out the window because there were some “suspicious characters” in the field. When he looked, he saw the boys.

“It looked like all of them had rifles,” Ward said. He said when he first saw the dog, he thought it appeared friendly.

“I couldn’t see the dog too well because the boys were in front of him but it looked like he was kind of wagging his tail,” Ward said.

Curious, Ward went to get his binoculars. When he came back, he said the scene had turned violent.

“I saw them beating the dog. They were stomping it and kicking it real hard.”

Ward called 9-1-1 to report the incident. He said the boys left the dog and he went to check on it.

“It was still alive but it was lying in a pool of its own blood. It was bleeding profusely from the head and neck. It was panting heavily, trying to catch its breath.”

Officer Darling said Yoris was a very well trained dog and also a very sociable dog.

“I have four kids and Yoris loved to play with them. They would get down and wrestle and play. He was a part of our family. He was not an aggressive dog at all, he was very playful.”

Darling said Yoris had never shown any aggression toward anyone. Even in making several civil apprehensions of fleeing suspects, Darling said Yoris never bit them.

He said Yoris was trusted so much that he was taken to several area elementary and high schools and churches, where he visited with the students as they learned how dogs found illegal narcotics and helped catch suspects.

Darling said Yoris was also very good at his job.

“He had over a dozen arrests on narcotics,” Darling said. Yoris also ended a recent pursuit out of Johnson County by catching to suspects who abandoned vehicles in an attempt to flee on foot. He said he accomplished all of these without biting anyone.

Darling said he and Yoris were also called out at 2 a.m. recently to assist in a federal case where a gun had been thrown out on Tenn. Highway 67.

“Within 2 minutes Yoris located the gun,” Darling said.

After two years of service to the department, Darling said Yoris was just starting to get into his prime.

He said Yoris will be very greatly missed by him and his family. “He was a great dog. He enjoyed being with kids and he loved his job.”

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation is investigating the incident.

2. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

That is very sad. I believe the story that says the boys were being violent towards the dog. Very sad that teenagers are such turds nowadays. Poor dog. May he rest in peace.

3. ju993rnaut

ju993rnaut

It is sad, but If he would'nt have gotten out none of this would have happened. Its the owners responsability to make sure things like this (escaping from kennel) dont happen.

4. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

Damn kids. Sticking their body parts into the mouth of a dog at large.

5. Tmygun

Tmygun

Quote: She said one of the boys jumped in his car and has still not been seen a day later.

If this went down like those "boys" said, how come this one bugged out and can't be found???

Sounds like another case of getting thrills from harming and killing animals. I feel so bad for that poor dog and it's owner.

Tmygun

6. ssgt_acft_mech

ssgt_acft_mech

Why do I have a feeling they were shootin at the dog with thier airsoft guns.

7. Woodsy

Woodsy

I do NOT believe the first story, and i DO believe the second one.

I HATE people that abuse/kill animals for their own entertainment.

I hate them as much as i hate people who murder human beings.

It has been often found that mass murderers abused/killed animals in their youth.

Not a coincidence me thinks.

These two kinds of people are of the same moral fiber.

Damn them. :steamed:

8. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

16? We quit playing cowboys and indians before we were teenagers.

9. goldenlight

goldenlight

That is IMMEDIATELY what I though of, too.

Highly trained and valuable police dog, as well as a family pet, essentially murdered by these asshats.

Burn them with fire.

10. security79

security79 Gene Frenkle

Yup. Something definitely smells fishy about this one. The little pricks need to get whats coming to them.

11. ssgt_acft_mech

ssgt_acft_mech

My thought is the dog isnt gonna attack unless commanded or provoked. Piss off an aggressive dog and it will react. As much as I could say the owner should have the dog locked up better, I know from experience a dog with any mount of training will eventually "grow a big set" try to get out and explore.

12. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

At first I thought this was going to be about coyotes (yoots? yotes?) killing a dog.

The boys picked the wrong dog to kill; a trained police dog.

13. schild

schild

Why are police officers so incapable of having a properly fenced yard or dog run? In Chicago, police dogs are constanly escaping, there was one dog that escaped several times and was lost for days.

14. nmk

nmk

15. Deployment Solu

Deployment Solu Kydex Crafter

Just turn your back for one minute and the dog can escape. Some are better at it than others. Sad for the dog...RIP Yoris.

If the *** hats were shooting at the dog, they got what they deserved. If they were scared, they should have left the area.

I don't buy the dog just attacked them, although the presence of real looking airsoft guns, might have been the deciding factor in the dog's behavior without his handler's guidance.

Drop the real looking gun. Officers have shot kids with them, why wouldn't the dog possibly react aggressively????

16. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

Happens way too often. Maybe if these K9 teams were charged with wreckless endangerment as anybody else would be that let a dangerous animal at large, they wouldn't act so irresponsible.

Less than a month ago, a Denver K9 jumped out of the open window of his handler's car. WTF??? The dog chased down a deer, vanished into the woods and it took the entire Denver K9 Unit all day to attempt to locate it. The dog was eventually found by a citizen. Don't think harrassing wildlife charges were ever considered, as they would be if it happened to you or me. Oh, that dog was described as "very sociable" as well. :upeyes:

17. thornesguns

thornesguns

some dogs are just escape artists. at my last house i lived down the street from a cop. his dog was always getting out and my kids would have to bring it back to him. but one day it got out and got in my back yard and jumped up on one of my kids, just playing but my yellow lab didn't see it as playing and attacked the police dog. it was awfull i had a terrable time seperating them. i had to return a badly mauled dog to the officer. I thought i would get into trouble but the officer just apologized and after that put in one of those electric fences. even then it would still get out but always avoided my yard.

18. rjflyn

rjflyn

Im gonna go with the dog saw guns and reacted as trained. Its hard enough for actual officers to tell the difference between a toy and real weapon I can imagine an animal that only sees in black and white would be worse. Add to it that they may have shot pellets at the dog and this is what you get.

I wont go in to the fact that the dog got out, as things happen. All this will get hashed out in the investigation.

19. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

wow yall jump to some strong conclusions ..

if the dog attacked me the dog would be shot ..

but if the dog just came to play .. i would play with him ..

its a sad situation, but the dog shouldnt have been out of his cage,

2 conflicting stories here,

and it will be hard to find out what exactly happen ..

20. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

That would be my guess, too.