close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Yolo, CA 2010 Debriefing

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by DannyR, Mar 20, 2010.

1. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Please post your stories and photos here. Yolo is the first match of the Greatest GSSF Season ever, a season of 38 matches.:cool:

2. 9mmdude

9mmdude

Just got back from the Yolo match. As usual the Yolo Sportmans Association Range was excellent. The GSSF staff were waiting and at 0900 there was not a line. All of the Range Officers were courteous, helpful and most of all patient.

Overall the match for me was very quick. I shot 4 stages and felt okay except for my G39 in Major Sub. I switched to Winchester White Box for the plates after using CCI Lawmen on the Glock M without any bobbles. After the switch I got jam after jam after jam on the plates. I will not purchase more GAP in Winchester White Box. It did not have the power to cycle the slide and I had numerous feeding jams. (9mm white box cycled my 17, 17c and G26 with ease). The Glock Armorer looked at my G39 and said it was fine. It was his 3rd complaint of the day with Winchester White Box ammo.

Thanks GSSF for another well run match and thanks Yolo Sportmans. Reno is next!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010

3. dubels

dubels

I will be shooting it tomorrow. I had a IPSC class today.

4. Davidoff

Davidoff

dubels:

I was in that class with you today! We talked about the GSSF match tomorrow, and I'll see you there.

Small world I guess.

5. Gryff

Gryff

I'm doing a fast trip up from the Bay Area in the morning. Hoping to be done (shooting two guns) and back home by noon.

6. Davidoff

Davidoff

I just got back from the Match. It was my first match of any type, and it was very fun. Yolo is my home range, so I was going to be there today anyway. I joined GSSF while registering, and had the Armorers take a look at my pistol. They also installed an extended mag release and slide stop for me. (gotta love the price - Free!)

I feel that I did well for a first-timer. I had 3 M's overall, 2 on the last target on Five to Glock and one on the 3rd target from the left on Glock'M. I smoked the plates, no mikes and times between 5.13 and 6.4.

According to my math my overall time was 152.66. Looking at last year's results for comparison, I may have met my goal of being in the top half of the field.

I don't think I'm going to make it to Reno, but I will certainly shoot the match in Richmond in August.

7. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Bravo on your first GSSF match. I must warn you that they are addictive.

8. Davidoff

Davidoff

Thanks Danny,

It was quite a bit of fun. I need to slow down and get a better sight picture. If those three mikes were D's I would have gained 20 seconds. I got a little carried away...

I took a USPSA Safe Hundgunner class in Richmond yesterday, and this GSSF match was a good way for me to get some rounds downrange while on a timer. It will make me a little more prepared for my first USPSA match.

Starting from low ready makes it easy, no moving makes it easier, and no reloads during strings means that it is very, very basic. There is much less to think about when compared to USPSA. I might shoot both days next time.

I got there at about 10, paid my range fee, registered and enrolled in about 10 minutes. I shot Five to Glock first, waited less than 10 minutes to start after I signed in. I had two mikes on the most distant target. I was a little disappointed, but I got over it pretty quick. Next I shot Glock the Plates, had to wait about 25 minutes to start, but I don't mind since the RO's have to eat too. I really enjoyed this stage. First and third strings were clean 6 rounds - 6 plates, second and fourth string I had to go back for a plate I missed. Best string was 5.13sec. I shot Glock 'M last, took me two shots each for all three poppers, and had one mike on the third target from left. I was going too fast, not getting a good sight picture. My cross-dominant eyes didn't help.

I will definitely be back.

9. dubels

dubels

Fun match, I learned one good thing today, I can only get better because I am already at rock bottom. Did well with the Glock'M stage but learned quickly with the 5 to Glock that slowing down is much better than going fast and having misses. Then I learned a new trigger problem (my fault not the guns) during the plates and did piss poor.

It was Davidoff and my first match so it was cool to shoot with someone that was also new. If there are any people on the edge about going out and shooting a match, just do it. You really can't shoot worse than me today, and if you do shoot bad the RO staff and other shooters are nice and give you tips to improve. Great group of guys/gals at the match. Thanks again to the RO staff for putting on the event.

*one question: Can new members claim each other as bringing a new member to the match and get two entries into the new member drawing? Just a curious as I was told no, so I had someone else I know claim me since he has been helping me with my shooting a lot. It was weird because someone I did not know tried to claim me as he/she brought me to the match but we just crossed that name out.

Edit: Congrats Davidoff for making the mid pack! I for one did a little better than I thought but still a lot of room for improvement.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  10. gary newport

gary newport

Congratulations and thanks to my team members for putting the Davis Street Regulars in first place among Civilian teams at Yolo, finally beating our arch-rivals, the Buffiness Boys! (And congratulations to the Buffiness Boys for a fine second-place finish.)

11. Gryff

Gryff

:D

Well, we tried. I'm amazed that I wasn't the usual boat anchor for the team. I had my best match yet (and was back home in the East Bay by noon!).

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010