close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Yogurt Tip

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Dandapani, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Dandapani

Dandapani

I eat plain yogurt every day. I buy it by the quart sized container. I use three heaping tablespoons for my dry cereal instead of milk in the morning. Until last week, every morning, the whey would collect in the depression I made when scooping out my morning yogurt. Whey is thin and watery and not very appetizing. Then last week I tried a new system.

After scooping out my three tablespoons of yogurt, I take the spoon and push down the rest of the yogurt in the container to make the surface smooth like when I first open a fresh container. This seems to keep the whey from separating. Now each morning the yogurt is consistent all the way through the entire container.

Not a biggie, but it was something that was troubling me and I found a solution.

2. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

tip the open container over the sink and pour out the whey.

3. Dandapani

Dandapani

Yes, I should have posted that since I tried that also. But it changes the yogurt as you get to the bottom. It becomes dryer, more cheese like, and the yogurt is not as good then at moistening the dry cereal.

4. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

And sometimes you accidentally dump the whole container out in the sink ;Q

5. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

:)

6. Dandapani

Dandapani

Voice of Experience? ;z ;a ;z

7. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

What would have ever given you that idea? ;g ;f

8. Remander

Remander

I often use yogurt to make tsatziki (spelling?) or other sauces. It's also a great condiment to cool a firey curry dish.

To make the yogurt less watery, I put the yogurt in a coffee filter inside a big sieve or collander over a bowl and let it drain the liquid for a few hours. (You can do this inside the fridge while you are at work.) It gets the yogurt nice and thick. You will be amazed at how much water will drain out of it.

9. JohniusMaximus

JohniusMaximus

I do that quite a bit. The longer it drains the thicker it gets. Quite an interesting transformation actually. If you let it go long enough you end up with something about as thick as cream cheese. Makes a great spread when you add things to it.

I love making that tsat..tzas..um...that Greek cucumber garlic sauce to go with grilled lamb or gyros.

10. Thirties

Thirties

If you like yogurt, you should try whole milk yogurt -- with the butterfat on top. You must stir in the butterfat layer when you first open the carton.

Very tasty...