Yet another shining example of our great government service

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by tarpleyg, Feb 9, 2010.

1. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

My mailbox post was taken out by kids sledding down our cul-de-sac last weekend after we had several inches of snow. The post broke into just below ground level and the post and mailbox would just barely stand up on its own. I left it for as long as I could and only removed it for fear of the whole thing falling over and damaging my perfectly good metal mailbox that I just bought a year or so ago.

Now, of course, we live in a fancy HOA neighborhood (because that's all they have around here for houses built in the last 30 years) and we have a unique mailbox and post. I called to order a post yesterday (to the tune of $280 mind you...and that's without a mailbox...and I have to install the damn thing myself) and was told it might be early next week before it's ready.

I pulled the old post this past Saturday and set the actual mailbox on the ground where the post used to be and left a Netflix movie in it with the flag up. We didn't get any mail Saturday and my movie wasn't picked up. Same thing when I got home yesterday. So, today I call the local post office and did you know that your mailbox has to be 48" off the ground and accessible from the carrier's window or they won't deliver your mail? I didn't. They didn't even leave a notice. It's pretty obvious to the carrier what happened as he delivered to a rickety post for several days beforehand and now my box is on the ground. I realize these people have a lot of mail to deliver but is it really too much to ask to get out of the vehicle once in a damn blue moon to help someone out? Really...is it that big of a deal?

That's all the *****in' I have in me for my birthday...thanks for listening.

Greg

2. flatag

flatag Must have tacos

I bet if they did put your mail in the downed mailbox and the mail got all soaked by melting snow you'd complain about that too.

3. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

yes. you don't have the right to ignore regulations just because you didn't know about them.. and the mail carrier DOES know about them.

Glad to see he's doing his job as trained. Sorry you're inconvenienced by that.

4. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

You know we're going to just "regulate" ourselves into oblivion, right? What ever happened to common sense and not being an asswipe? Would it kill this mailman to get out of his car and give me my mail? And no, if it got wet I'd chalk that up to me putting my own mailbox on the ground. I can live with that.

Greg

5. MrKandiyohi

MrKandiyohi Millennium Member

The snowplow took out my mailbox in December. Fortunately, the post split down the side, so I have a mailbox nailed to about an eighth of a post. It's enough to stand the mailbox up and lean against the remaining post in the ground.

It'll get fixed in April or May.

6. TuxthePenguin

TuxthePenguin

If the mailman had to get out at every stop to put mail in, you would then be complaining about how it takes so much longer to get your mail.

7. kiole

kiole

NVM you said unique post so i assume it's custom cut or formed...

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  8. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

You should complain to the mailman's supervisor.

[​IMG]

9. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

That's just the point...he doesn't have to get out at every box.

10. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

Yeah, I don' think you're going to get much love here. Would you be complaining the same way if you had parked your car in front of the box?

11. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

OP- You can file a complaint online with the USPS. I have in the past and they have been good about getting back to me.

Good luck and happy birthday.

12. banjobob

banjobob

If you're upset about this, wait until the same governmental mindset begins to regulate the "delivery" of healthcare. "Sorry government regs state we only perform bypass surgery on people whose cholesterol is less that 180, too bad"

13. buckhunter3987

buckhunter3987

14. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

I once lived in row house in a very large city. They also had a lot of mail to deliver. The mailman would never close the lid on the box. The area of my mailbox was in a spot where the wind would often swirl down. The wind was definitely strong enough to blow out light pieces of mail, which sometimes happened.

I asked the mailman if he would not mind closing the lid. He told me to get a spring-loaded lid so that he did not have to make a manual effort to shut it. He told me this as he sarcastically popped his gum, walking in the other direction. He had to make his point for about one week, but finally he started closing the box.

So the answer to your question is ‘yes.’ Yes, it is a big deal for some people to work. That is why these people seek employment by the government.

15. 1811guy

1811guy Formerly1811guy2

Similar thing happened to me a few years back, except it was a drunk who took out my mailbox. I got up the next morning, threw a temp post in the ground and mounted my mailbox on it then went to work. I think it took me a whole 5 minutes to do it. Later that day the mailman delivered my mail, no muss, no fuss. The next saturday I put up a new decorative post to please the wifey. I wouldn't expect any mailman to put mail in a broken mailbox laying on the ground. That would be unprofessional. Glad the mailman was using common sense and not being an asswipe.

16. TCmofo

TCmofo

Greg,
    You're still the man so it's all good. 280 bucks for a mailbox? Good lord...

17. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

280 dollars?! we just use a 4x4 around here. less than 10 bucks

18. MaximaDrvr

MaximaDrvr

So these kids' parents are paying for your mailbox, right?

19. PrincessCelica

PrincessCelica

Well someone has to say it man...

Happy Birthday! :birthday:

20. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

Folks around here have brick mailboxes. Hard to damage, but $1000 to replace.