Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Florist
20,451 Posts
What is a "dead trigger" and how does that relate (if it does) to the firing pin drag?

Reactions: Caver 60

·
Registered
32,247 Posts
Well, some degree of "FP wipe" isn't considered an issue by some makers, at least in some models. I remember the first time I asked someone in Ruger's Prescott plant about it, in an early KP-90, and I was told it was considered normal, as long as it wasn't excessive, or obviously causing a problem.

If it's a symptom of a particular pistol unlocking before pressure has sufficiently dropped, I'd be contacting the company, looking for recoil spring assembly problem, etc. Ditto looking for signs of over pressure ammo, too.

I haven't attended the SIG 320 armorer class, let alone the 365 class, so I can't pretend to have any official insight into this brand new model. A couple other guys have been keeping up on SIG models and updates, and one of our "gun-a-week" instructors has recently picked up a 365, so I'll have to keep an ear out.

Personally, as both a firearms instructor and armorer of some years experience, unless I've been tasked with participating in a T&E effort, I've come to shy away from buying anyone's brand new pistol design until it's been in both the general public's hands, and the hands of working cops, for at least a year. I grew to really dislike being a Beta tester.

·
Florist
20,451 Posts
A dead trigger can be caused by different issues but in general it means that the actual trigger is in one form or another disconnected from the action, hence rendered useless.

In this case it does not relate to the breaking of the firing pin.

Most likely it is caused by the break-down design flaw in the P365.

Check out this video where the SIG rep has to push the safety back down with her nail at 1:29 in order to get the slide all the way back on. If you don't know about this issue and slam it, it surly can cause that dead trigger problem.
OK, so the "dead trigger" and the firing pin drag/broken FP are two (2) separate issues?

Oh boy! As I posted in the other thread, I'm glad I have about another 18 months before I need to decide going forward whether to CCW full time my G26 or another plastic single stack.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts