yet another gun salesman with an attitude, story....

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by mixflip, Feb 24, 2010.

1. mixflip

mixflip

Just another story of many.

Ok so today I stopped in to one of my favorite gunstores. Most of the salesmen are extremely nice older guys and have sold many guns and accessories to me. I am their repeat customer.

So today i walk in and the store "jerk" is the only guy at the table. I really wanted to lay my hands of the Benelii Supernova Tactical with the ComfortTech stock. here is a blow by blow of how it went down.

Me - can I see that benelli Supernova?
    Jerk- Sure you can...then uncomfortable silence for about 10 seconds.

Me - Uh, yeah that Benelli Supernova right up front.
    Jerk - Sure take a look at it all you want, and just stands there.

Me - Well can I see it? I smile because I am getting uncomfortable and wondering why this guy is acting like and amatuer and not a proffessional.

Jerk - Oh, you mean you want to hold it. Well in that case you need to SAY you want to hold it...and laughs.

Me - I laugh it off and just make a mental note that this guy has an abrasive sense of humor. I have to deal with jerks all the time so it was kinda funny at that point.

Jerk - hands me the Benelli.
    Me - Can you tell me a little about it?

Jerk - Ummmmmmmmmmmm I dont really know much about it but it is Benellis cheap model thats why it costs less than a Remington 870.

Me - Oh really? Benelli's cheap model? Thats funny because it has ghost ring sights, the comfort tech stock and the magazine stop feature to drop in a slug without chambering a round from the magazine. It doesnt seem like a cheap Benelli?

Jerk - Yeah 870's are much better thats why they cost more.

Me - I rack the slide.....
    Jerk - whoa slow down, watch out now, easy with that....(as if I am abusing it or something? Or as if racking the slide will somehow decrease the value of the gun? I think he assumes I am just a lookie loo and dont plan on buying it or he think I cant afford it?) Keep in mind I have reffered over 30 officers to buy from these guys and have made alot of money for these guys just on word of mouth alone but I didnt mention that.

Ok at this point I am mentally done with this guy and he is really starting to piss me off so I start talking to one of the cool guys I know there who shows up and we have an inteligent conversation about Benellis.

Now a young man behind me asks the jerk salesman a question. We will call him "customer".

customer - Hey what is that right there? (pointing at a SIG522 22lr)
    Jerk - Uuuhhh, thats a gun (very sarcastically & matter of factly)

customer - Ummmm, ok...what kind of gun sir?
    Jerk - a 22.

customer - Oh a 22? thats cool. What brand is it? (I am guesssing he just blew off the previous disrespectful comment?)

Jerk - Ummm it says right on the tag SIG. (in a tone as if the customer is wasting his time now)

Me - laughing out loud because I just cant believe this jerks attitude to the customers! I hand the Benelli back to the Jerk and look right at the cool guy I was talking to and I tell him...I will be back tomorrow for sure to buy this shotgun....and I make sure the Jerk sees who I am directing my comment to as he puts it back on the shelf.

What is up with gun salesmen acting like jerks to their customers? Big fish in a little pond syndrome??? Oh and the guy had 4 spare mags on his belt to go along with his open carry weapon. Cops dont even wear 4 mags on duty?

Btw, I am so exited to buy my dream pump shotgun tomorrow!!!!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  2. GSSF17

GSSF17 ...2 of 'em

Mall ninja in training. Horse's arse.

Friggin Punk- sounds like. Speak with Management or patronize another store. Just my .02.

3. 1108VA

1108VA

The more I think about this, you should probably complain to a manager. This jerk does not belong in a sales position. Maybe you can help him into a new position such as garbage can emptier.

4. Chainlink

Chainlink

Good to hear they had the shottie you wanted. To bad the guy you dealt with is a turd. They are everywhere and multiplying. People with common sense are a dying breed not to mention manners. It makes me nuts to think decency is no longer the norm. When it comes to driving it gets worse.....ok ok deep breath don't hijack.

Go back and make a point not to purchase from him, you already saw his comedy act no need to see it again.

4 spare mags??? Maybe trying to drum up sales by making new people to guns think they need more ammo, mags, or umm pepper spray not sure on this one.

5. mixflip

mixflip

I think I am going to have a talk with someone about this guys attitude when I go in to spend my hard earned money on that Benelli. I go back there because I like the other guys but I hate this jerk and avoid him as much as possible.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  6. ronin.45

ronin.45

I would let the manager know that the "jerk" is bad for business. If he hasn't noticed he may do something about it. It will probably turn out that he is the boss' son or something and he thinks he owns the place. It is a shame when a fun trip to the gun shop is ruined by a**holes.

7. decibels5

decibels5

To tell any ***hole, that there self-esteem is so low that it makes them look pathetic and that you feel sorry for them. Then, politely tell them not to talk to you. Ignore them and they will go nuts. Continue shopping unless they can make you leave. :devildance::devildance:

8. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

this must be a big chain store or something.....the few smaller shops that ive patronized regularly dont allow their help to hinder the customers......

9. 93Efini

93Efini clickclickBANG!

just like any other jobs, jerks can work anywhere including selling guns....he probably needs the 5 full mags because he can't shoot worth a ****.

10. Zut

Zut

I am sure I have been to that shop...

11. mdhandyman

mdhandyman

I got one of them here to, it got to a point that when I walk in an see him ill wait till someone else is available to do business with. :cool:

12. ssgt_acft_mech

ssgt_acft_mech

The local shop I goto in South Dakota is badass I ask if I can see something and they just let me behind the counter and look at anything on the rack...thats if they're busy of course....but I'm usually in there when its busy

13. chief

chief

how is it that you "deal with jerks all the time?"

I think it's a common misconception that cops or gun store employees are firearms experts. people in ANY profession can behave professionally and courteously, or they can be cantankerous jerks.

14. boominfocus66

boominfocus66

Nice choice in boomstick! That is my 2nd dream gun.

15. Pitt

Pitt Gangstalicious

I swear I've been in that shop too. I've never seen one quite that bad though.

I admit I didn't buy anything from one shop for about 4yrs until the "shop jerk" moved on to greener pastures.

Not playing the race card but I've dealt with several gunshop employees that made me feel like black folks shouldn't even be in a gun store.:steamed:

Most of the time I knew more about their products then they did.
    Gun jerks turn a lot of people away from the gun hobby and that is shame because we need all the help we can get.

16. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

4 spare mags? You should have asked him about all the mags and if he was really that bad of a shot:rofl:

17. Dr. J Frame

Dr. J Frame LSWCHP +P

Yep. There's lots of friendly people out there looking for jobs. Help them out. Send this guy back to his mama's couch.

18. Magus

Magus Deo Vindice

Many gun stores make the mistake of hiring a "mall ninja" every now and again, or what I call the "gun shop commando." If you're in good with the boss/owner, let em' know about the ******. Otherwise, don't do business there again.

My local dealer has made a point to chase these types out of his store which I really appreciate. It's always bad when you know more about firearms than the guy behind the counter.

19. HauntedAlabama

HauntedAlabama

I would talk to the owner and complain about his attitude. One bad employee can cost someone tons of money. If I went in and had never been there and was treated like that I would not spend money. Explain it like that to the owner. I go to some gun shops where the customer service is horrible, but that is to check prices. There are a couple of shops I would spend alittle bit more in because the service is excellent. If you do not complain they will never know and think everything is ok.

20. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

that aint always so.....if you know a bit about many types of guns thats good, but there are some buyers who live for a certain gun, caliber, or manufacturer so much that youd swear they were fantasy football guys the way they carry on. and if youre up against one, tell them what you can and then listen to them, you might learn something....but like the old saying, the customer is always right, barring you doing something unethical that is....