close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Yet another GT'r in need of job advice.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by DR. HOUSE, Mar 23, 2010.

1. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

I was talking to a friend on the phone yesterday around 6:00 pm. He told me he had to go back to work to catch up and he told me to come keep him company. He then jokingly offered me a job. I told him that I would be interested in working there. He didnt think I would want to work there.

His wifes grandparents own the buisness and his wifes dad oversees the plant. He and his father in law are pretty close so Im sure I could get in if I wanted to work there.

I was laid off in march of 09 at an ethanol plant that went bankrupt. I started making around $13.00 with full benefits and before I was let go, I was making around $16.00 with full benefits. I was working 12 Hr shifts, 2 days one week and 5 the next. That was our scedule.

There are basically no jobs in my town so I was looking for whatever would allow me to keep my house and put food on the table.

I took a job at a center pivot irrigation buisness making $10.00 an hr.
    I was promised a raise at christmas and never got one. I am the only person that does my job.

A little about the pros of my job.

I can be late and its ok.
    I can do my work when I want to, at my own pace.
    Im my own manager.
    I can take work off basically whenever. Took an afternoon off to fish, boss told me to have fun.
    I got a $400.00 christmas bonus.
    I got a $100.00 worth of steak from my boss as a personal christmas gift.
    I generally enjoy the people I work with. Fun group of guys my age.

Here are a few cons.

I get real bored sometimes.
    I dont have much interest in my line of work.
    I dont get paid enough for being a manager.
    No benefits.
    No overtime. (my friend told me that it wouldnt be uncommon to put in 80 hrs some weeks)
    Im getting fat and lazy from doing desk work.
    I dont see myself advancing any.

This new job would involve a lot of hands on work. I would be working right along with my buddy everyday. He offered to show me what EXACTLY he does and teach me how to do it before I decide.

TheY make underwater electricial connections for all sorts of people. Some government applications.

heres a link to some of the stuff I would be making.

http://www.subconn.com/default.asp?...=dansk&menuItem=menuItemA_a_2381_a_&curMenu=A

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  2. JoNxMeMpHiS

JoNxMeMpHiS

If it pays more then it's a no brainer. You don't like your job currently but you seem to like to goof off without getting in trouble.

Fishing or paying bills? Hmmmm....Oh yeah, I like to eat and fish gets old. LOL

Good luck brother but please take care of your dependents before yourself. They depend on you.

3. Indy_Guy_77

Indy_Guy_77 Thread Killer

Make the switch... But don't burn any bridges.

Give a proper written notice.

4. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

Hunting and fishing are important to me. Thats basically the whole reason I moved back home. I turned down a job to work at hornady (free ammo) to come back home. Crazy, I know.

Sometimes its good to take a break from work to enjoy what god gave us.

5. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

Interesting that the number one pro of your current job is that you can be late and it's ok.

Really don't know what to tell you.

6. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Sounds like you enjoy getting paid (not much) to be a slacker (for lack of a better term).
    Who wouldn't want that gig....for a while.
    You know it's time to start seeking and taking on responsibility. But gosh darnit, the little boy in you just doesn't want to be forced into the grown-up world of responsibilities.
    It's a conflict we ALL face at some point in time.
    I faced mine when I stepped off the bus in the middle of the night at Recruit Training Center Orlando.

7. arclight610

arclight610

This might be personal, but : Do you have a college degree?

8. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

Im talking a few minuets. Not hours.
    I put them in no particular order.
    Just for the record, Im usually the first on here.

9. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

I have a college diploma, I opted out for my associate of science degree because college did it bass ackwards.

They made us do an internship for about 4 months and then they wanted us to quit our jobs and come back for the next quarter and do classes for the next 4 months to get a degree.

I already had a good job and was renting an apartment. Long story short, I couldnt afford to up and quit work and break my lease to go back.

I went to college for Parts marketing and management (auto parts) and a degree wouldnt aide me in my profession. It was kind of a waste of money IMOP.

10. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

I never really wanted or fully enjoyed this job but it has flexability which is important to me.

11. tlafrance

tlafrance Missing AZ

Nepotism. Since you're not "Family", then count on being unemployed again if times get hard or contracts dry up (pun intended). Other than that, you need to feed the wife/kid and keep a roof over your head as a #1 priority. I say go for it, you only live once. This coming from the guy moving 1/2 way across the country to keep his family fed:wavey:

Tom

12. The Habit

The Habit كافر

Are you married? Kids?

If not, and you are only responsible for yourself, do what you want. If you can pay your bills now and enjoy the flexibility of your current job then stay. If putting more money in the bank is a priority while losing some flexibility, change jobs.

I'm married with three teenagers at home so I don't have much in the way of options. Of course, I've been in my career field for almost 20 years and am very well established.

13. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

1 boy, 3 yrs old and a soon to be wife in july.

I hate just getting by.

14. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

Tom, that is exactly what scares me!
    They had let some people go months ago for money reasons.

I had told my friend that this was a concern.
    He told me that the people that were let go were temporary help and they were told that when they were hired. Still scary none the less.

I would make sure that there was an understanding that I was full time help.

15. txjustin

txjustin

Sounds to me like you're being selfish. Get out there and get a real job and make some real money to provide for your family. You need to put hunting/fishing on the backburner until you can accomplish that! Sorry, but you need a reality check IMO.

16. The Habit

The Habit كافر

Sounds like you've answered your own question.

17. tlafrance

tlafrance Missing AZ

Without knowing the back story, how can you possibly say this? He moved back home to hunt/fish and TAKE CARE OF HIS AILING GRANDMOTHER. That speaks volumes about a man's character and SELFISH is not a word used to describe his actions. YOU sir are a ******!

Tom

18. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

Amen on the nepotism... I left a good job for a large company to start a company in a new field with my best friend of years and years and his brother and father. Everything was cool for a couple of years, then I started realizing that I was the only one doing the grunt work. That was not an issue for me as I knew that someone had to do it... but I saw the writing on the wall. The "family" had worked enough and was ready to coast for a while. I liked the new field and shopped my services around town only to find that the "family" did not have a good reputation. I bailed at the first offer to work for a legitimate company in the same field and saw what they had been doing wrong. They closed months later and to be honest I have no idea how they managed to stay out of prison due to the fraud they were committing on a daily basis. I'm sure had I stayed they would have all pointed the finger at me for everything done wrong, and 3 vs 1 I would have lost.

I will never put myself in the position of working in a "family" atmosphere... even if it is my family. The blinders are too high and things that would be caught and fixed seem to go unnoticed.

19. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

thanks tom

20. txjustin

txjustin

I apologize Dr House, I didn't see where you were taking care of your ailing Gmother.