Yet another cigar thread...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Truffle8Shuffle, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Truffle8Shuffle

Truffle8Shuffle

A friend's bachelor party is coming up in a month or so and I'm looking to get some nice cigars to smoke for the weekend. We're renting a house and will just be relaxing and getting drunk so I wanted to get a box of decent cigars to share and then some real nice ones for myself and the groom-to-be.

I haven't experienced many 'fancy' cigars so I'm hoping you all can help me find something with a medium-full body that isn't too expensive for the group box and something a little better for myself and my friend as I'll probably just be getting a few of them. I've smoked Romeo y Julieta, Montecristo, Perdomo, and Punch brands and enjoyed them all.

Reading some of the other cigar threads on here and doing a little research, I see the Rocky Patel name come up often and have read good things about the Arturo Fuente line.

I'll go buy a few of the top suggested ones and try them out. Thanks! :wavey:

2. Sammael

Sammael Ich tu dir Weh.

If you want a good smoke that won't break the bank, the Padron 3000 Maduro can't be beat. About 100 bucks a box, and most folks that like a medium-full bodied favor seem to like them.

As far as something a bit more refined for the groom-to-be and yourself, check out something from the Padron Anniversario line.

Can't really go wrong with either, especially for the cost.

3. Jonesee

Jonesee

Padron 000 series
    Anything by Punch
    Anything by Hoya

They are consistently great cigars and have a flavor profile that appeals to regular cigar smokers and newbs alike ...

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  4. Travelin' Jack

Travelin' Jack Misinformed

I completely agree with this.

5. DWavs

DWavs Moderator Moderator

6. Just1More

Just1More

My Dad smokes Padrons. He seems to like them.

7. Bill Keith

Bill Keith

Leaf wrapped Swisher Sweet Blunts. Cheap, smoke good, won't make a novice gag. I've gone through many of them as an outdoorsman. Even chewing on them is an OK experience.

8. Truffle8Shuffle

Truffle8Shuffle

Thanks for the replies so far. Looks like Padron will make the list to try. As far as the Swishers, my everyday smokes are Backwoods so I'll keep the cheap stuff for that.

9. Hawkwood

Hawkwood

I brought a box of Fuente "Chateau Fuente" on a pheasant hunting trip. 25 per box, medium body, good smoking experience. About $100 for a box. A real treat for everyone.

10. GamerGirl

GamerGirl 100% Relevant

Gurkhas are nice.

11. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

I wish we had a decent local tobacco shop, would make it much easier to get a little stock of cigars I know I'd like. I'm just leery of buying online and not liking what I get. I wish I could remember the one I got at the Menger Hotel tobacco shop last year, it was around $15 and a fantastic smoke.

12. Reagan40

Reagan40

Avo makes a great Cigar. The LE10 is nice.

Davidoff would be a more expensive cigar for you and the groom.

Falto makes a good lower/midrange budget cigar. They are not available too many places in the US, but if you can find them, they are a great value.

13. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy Code-7A KUZ769

First off, if the guys that you'll be hanging with don't smoke cigars on a regular basis, don't waste money on buying good cigars, especially if all they do is puff on them for 5 minutes and throw the stick away. If they are more than an occasional smoker, then step up to a good cigar.

It's hard to go wrong with Rocky Patel sticks.
    Vintage 1990 & 1992
    Anniversary
    Costa Rica Maduro
    Sungrown

All of those should be in a very good price range.

For bold smokes I like La Flor Dominiciana Chisel and Chisellitos, Camacho Corohos and Triple Maduros. These will be a little more expensive.

There are so many good sticks out there it's hard to choose from. Even look at CAO, Gurkha, Oliva, A.Fuente, Joyo De Nicaragua.

Just one thing more. Friends don't let friends smoke Swisher Sweets. The tobacco used in those things are literally (and Im NOT KIDDING) sweepings off of the factory rolling rooms' floors (including Rocky Patel's factory). All the waste and trimmings are just swept up into piles, bagged and sent off to be mechanically chopped up and then sprayed down with flavoring and rolled in something that resembles a cross between tobacco and paper. (Gag!).

14. kcramer

kcramer

I think what Merkavaboy said is something that would have come out of my mouth. If you're going to actually smoke these (as opposed to puff puff throw on the floor) and you don't want to break the bank...go with Rocky Patel Vintage 2nds I suggest the 1990 in the toro size. You'll find them on cigarsinternational.com. Being 2nds doesn't mean less quality, it just means they might have a blemish on the wrapper or weren't rolled exactly to Q/A standards. I've ordered several of these RP 2nds bundles and suffered zero dissapointment. bundles of 15 will cost you $49.99. The price of the non 2nds is $150.00 +

15. Chipotle

Chipotle

I see I'm not alone - Rocky Patel Sun Grown. I keep looking for something better, but haven't found it yet.

You guys have fun!

16. fjrdc

fjrdc

17. Truffle8Shuffle

Truffle8Shuffle

Thanks for all the replies! :wavey:

I'm definitely not going to spend too much on the box for the group as some of them won't smoke at all and the others won't really enjoy them. I'm looking at this sampler for them at $1 a stick they won't know the difference. I'm going to check out a local store with my cigar smoking buddy tomorrow to see what they have and hopefully pick some up to try out. If the prices are much higher compared to online, then we'll just order some. Cigar International has this Rocky Patel sampler that I might split with my friend to try out the brand.

18. jbutenhoff

jbutenhoff

The Rocky Patel American Market is a good mild-medium flavorful cigar as well. Plus not too expensive.

Either way, you can go to http://www.cigarauctioneer.com/ and save some $$$ at times. They are run by Famous Smoke Shop.

19. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Jus ordered one of the Rocky Patel samplers, exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

20. Truffle8Shuffle

Truffle8Shuffle

Thanks for the tip. :wavey:

Glad I could help! :supergrin: