Yet, A Few More Reasons To Not Follow Too Closely

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by willie_pete, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Chesafreak

Chesafreak

I ride a motorcycle and in addition to rear ending someone who jams up on their brakes, I've had instances where following too close almost resulted in hitting something that the car in front of me was able to pass over but could have put me down had I hit it. I've also seen turtles get hit in front of me and they flew up in the air, spinning around. I've seen very heavy hubs from 18 wheeler wheels fly off and careen across two lanes before smacking the divider.

2. Bruce M

Bruce M

Lumber, tools, road debris through the windshield could be anywhere. But I have to think a turtle through the windshield just seems to drip of Florida.

3. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

I agree, but sometimes there's not much you can do either way. A friend of mine died in a rear-end collision on a bike. I've had a few interesting interesting experiences with stuff getting launched at my cars.

One of them was from an empty flatbed trailer, going over a pass. There were a few small parts rattling around on it, giving me a real bad feeling. So I was right up on the back of it, getting out aggressively to pass. And sure enough, off flies a chunk of wide flange beam. It went through my right/front wheel well and trashed that wheel.

If I'd been back in the normal following position and that thing had hopped up...

4. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

I would have thought that a sheet of plywood through your windshield would have rated a bit more than a ticket for " failure to secure load ". Sounds more like attempted murder.

Resqu2 and janice6 like this.
  5. napp32

napp32

I remember a similar incident on I-285 in Atlanta that happened years ago. A piece of sheet metal flew into a windshield. The driver wasn't as lucky then...she was decapitated.

6. Kevinr20

Kevinr20

You've rear ended someone and nearly got hit by road debris because you were following too close? Have you learned yet?

7. catman71

catman71 Spewer of TROOF

Why didn't the driver just veneer out of the way?

8. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Sorry, had to. :clown:

9. willie_pete

I learned a long time ago. Driving to the airport after a plant visit on a Friday afternoon on the Interstate behind an old truck when his drive shaft fell completely off :alex:. I missed most of it but caught enough that it shredded a tire.

I was motivated to change the tire on the rental in record time and was able to make my flight. They did close the door behind me though.

Slackinoff likes this.
  10. MrMr1961

MrMr1961

I-95 around Miami is full with crap. I evaded mattresses, bicycles, ladders, entire wheels, furniture, people and idiots taking an exit on the last 50 yards all the way from the left express lane.

FullClip and Bruce M like this.
  11. Russ in PA

Russ in PA

That's a bit of a stretch.

12. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

13. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

The closest I ever came to being KIA was on I-75 at the scene of a crash, where a Telephone pole hauling-trailer reacted too slowly to our lights...The Lord was with me that day I am certain
    Stuff projecting or flying off vehicles traveling at 80+ equals light artillery

aircarver and deputy tom like this.
  14. cougar_ml

cougar_ml

On the plus side, the turtle survived and was released shortly after the incident.

Taco Junkie, G29guy06 and Nucflash like this.
  15. holidaypf

holidaypf

He was probably just board.

willie_pete likes this.
  16. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Had two kayaks come off a Subaru wagon with Mass plates ahead of me one time when I was on my Buell on US RT1 between Brewer and Ellsworth. I saw them kind of bouncing around...was impossible to pass due to the oncoming traffic, so I slowed way down to give it room and due to not wanting to get rear ended by the asshats behind me, pulled over onto the shoulder. Sure enuff, the kayaks came off and sailed into the front of the minivan full of Over-Homers that had passed me when I got onto the shoulder. Nobody hurt, but the mini-van windshield and grill were broke up pretty good. The Subaru never stopped.

17. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

Directing traffic with a utility pole broke and wires hanging after a wreck. Big truck didn’t understand palms up yelling cop meant stop. He hit the wire which yanked the broken pole into said officer and knocked my butt from the intersection to the sidewalk.
    Had a narrow miss with half a house roof flying by in Hurricane Rita. You don’t have to be in a car for junk to get ya!

18. willie_pete

I am sure the lady in the car agrees with me.

;)

19. Otto Pistol

Otto Pistol

Was following a pickup on the Interstate and the couch it was carrying came off. Luckily it was 100 yards ahead and the was no other traffic nearby so I was able to avoid it.

Have seen at least two wheelbarrows come off pickups. They may be heavy and upside down, but at 60 mph a little air gets under them and off they go.

Heard about a guy who ran over a car jack on the Interstate. It went through the floor and seat and impaled him. DRT.

G29guy06 and willie_pete like this.