close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

yes, Virginia, there is a gun show loophole

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Bill Powell, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Bill Powell

Bill Powell Cross Member CLM

As I said, there is a gun show loophole, and it has been made legal by our fathers in Washington.

I've been at a lot of gun shows and watched some vato, covered in gang and prison tattoos, dragging his mother or girl friend who has a clean record, and making her buy the gun of his choice. It's legal, it shouldn't be, but it's legal.

Curing that loophole would affect the inherit freedoms of several people and I'm not sure I would want to do that. I think I'd rather take my chances with the vato.

2. TK-421

TK-421

It's not legal for purchasing alcohol, I don't see why it's legal for firearms. If you see a minor walk into your store, choose which alcohol he wants, and then he sends in a person who is legal to actually purchase the alcohol, you can spend some time in jail for selling to a minor. So why can this sort of thing happen for firearms?

3. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Sandbox Refugee CLM

That sounds like a straw purchase to me, which isn't legal.

4. TK-421

TK-421

The problem is how do you actually prove beyond a reasonable doubt in court that it is indeed a straw purchase? The seller could say he had no idea the other person intended to give it to someone who is not allowed to own firearms, and the buyer could say he/she bought it for themself, and had no intention of buying it for their friend. What proof would a prosecutor have to go on that it was a straw purchase?

5. elsolo

elsolo

How is it any different if a felon has his GF do a straw purchase at a gunshow, or if it happens at Walmart?

6. elsolo

elsolo

I think it sometimes goes something like:

Felon gets caught with gun
    They look into gun's previous transactions
    They see the GF bought the gun, she knows he was a felon and she gets charged.

7. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

He said/she said.

The "loophole" will be closed. I said it elsewhere, but I'll say it again:

Watch for "FFL Service Booths" to be set up @ the back of gun shows. For the low, low price of $20, they'll allow you to do a legal transfer at a show.

Of course, that has nothing to do with a straw purchase. But, I see few likely straw purchases at shows. However, I do see many "shady" folks only crusin' private sale tables and doing business with them. Granted, they may be legit...but I'm 100% certain that not all those fellas could pass a NICS check.

8. douggmc

douggmc

Lone Wolfe is right. The OP is confusing and talking about two different things: 1) the so called "gun show loophole" and 2) straw purchases.

Totally not related. The OP is describing a straw purchase. Already illegal.

9. elsolo

elsolo

They will push for what CA has, all sales must go through a FFL and 10 day waiting period. No exemptions.

Gun shows here are extra stupid, you basically just make an appointment for a transaction at a gunshop rather than do an actual transaction at the show.

Private party sales will be targeted for mandatory background checks.

10. TK-421

TK-421

I sure do hope that would hold up in court, we need people to start realizing that buying guns for felons is not legal.

11. elsolo

elsolo

It says so right on form 4473 that you have to check off specifically stating you are NOT buying the gun for somebody else who cannot buy it themselves.

There are also signs in gun stores that point out what a straw purchase is and remind you of it's illegality.

People aren't aiding and abetting felons in the acquisition of firearms because they are ignorant, they know exactly what they are doing but are the kind of person that associates with felons and has little respect for law.

12. Cubdriver

Cubdriver

And I'd also imagine that they are VERY rarely prosecuted when caught. Perhaps that should change, and the fact that it has be publicised.

-Pat

13. TK-421

TK-421

I'm just wondering how easy it is for them to be prosecuted. I'm guessing not very, unless it's just not publicized very much.

14. 427

It's sometimes obvious when there's a straw purchase. The seller/ffl has to decide if they want to make a sale or not. Unless the FFL alerts the ATF of an attempted straw purchase how's the ATF or anyone else going to know?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  15. Bill Powell

Bill Powell Cross Member CLM

The gansta don't give a damn whan the wife/mother/girl friend has to check to finalize the sale. One solution would be an automatic 10 day waiting period for any gun show purchase. Maybe not.

16. elsolo

elsolo

Exactly.
    How will anybody know, unless it is reported or the felon gets caught with it during another crime at a later date?

17. elsolo

elsolo

How will a 10 day waiting period have any influence whatsoever on straw purchases?

That's just a "crime of passion" law, so you don't get mad and go buy a gun right now to shoot me in an hour.

18. 427

What about private sales outside of a gun show?

19. winchester62

winchester62

As has been said, this is the very definition of a straw purchase and is just as illegal at the gun show as it is at any gun store. I hate to see folks on our side make the argument for the antis. You're a smart guy, Mr. Powell. The focus should be on the crazies, not ordinary law abiding folks.

20. G23Gen4TX

G23Gen4TX

Do we really have a problem with private sales having to go through a BG check?

I mean if they charge a reasonable fee. Let's say $10-$20. I think it will prevent a lot of legally owned guns being sold to people who should not own one.

As a private seller there is no way for me to verify the guy I'm selling a gun to is legally allowed to own it unless I require them to present me with a CHL.