Yes or No question about Tenifer: & please provide proof/evidence to support your answer

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by katmanking, Oct 16, 2015.

1. katmanking

katmanking

Do ALL Gen 3 & Gen 4 Glocks MADE IN AUSTRIA have the Tenifer finish? Yes or no...& please provide evidence/proof to support your answer. Thank u & GOD BLESS!

2. HGxyz

HGxyz

Asking for evidence or proof is your big mistake. Otherwise you would get a ton of "I reads" and "I heards" and strong statements of unsupported "fact." I'm mildly curious myself.

TnShooter83 likes this.

3. Big Kohle

Big Kohle

I spoke with Glock today. One of the things I ask about was the Tennifer finish. Customer service personnel by the name of Dan, told me the Tennifer treatment was discontinued about two years ago. Now, being very new to Glocks I can't tell you what generation that would be. 770-432-1202 ask for Dan.
    Hope this helps

4. Anomander

Anomander

In before Dan quits because of barrage of tenifer calls.

5. HGxyz

HGxyz

Thanks for the effort, but you spoke to a single Glock representative. That doesn't really give a warm feeling, because it is well known from various experiences of this forum's members, that very frequently, you get a different answer depending on who you talk to at Glock.

6. Mister X

Mister X

I talked to multiple Glock reps through phone calls and via emails a few years back and all have told me that Tenifer was phased out in all Glock's, both Austrian and U.S. made guns. I never could get a date of when it started, but most say it started around 2010 basically coinciding with the introduction of the Gen 4's. No one could tell me exactly when it started or when it ended, but I'm fairly confidant the actual Tenifer process has not been used on any Glocks for quite some time(likely not since 2010 or 2011).

7. peng

peng

Why do you need to know ? Not meant to sound snippy, but why is it important ?

I suspect Glock does not want to be too specific. Probably because it does not really matter and the majority of people think it is the black finish on the gun anyhow. It would just lead to mass confusion with customer service.

8. gunsmoke92

gunsmoke92

I have no idea and no proof, but I can tell you, Tenifer is not a "finish". It is a metal treatment which bonds with the metal at the molecular level and provides an extremely hard, rust and corrosion resistant surface several microns deep, which is then coated using a process which provides the black "finish"you see. The Tenifer treatment is not visible.

As to evidence/proof, Glock is not prone to providing us commoners with their trade secrets or the specifics of their proprietary processes. If they're not using Tenifer, they are using some other nitro-carbonizing process that provides the same or similar protection for the metal. So, in short, as long as my Glock doesn't rust, I don't care what process they use.

BigJ18 likes this.
  9. eb07

eb07 Sharkin'

Oh my god. My 100 year old revolver isn't tenfered. However will it last five years without rusting into a like of junk

Who csrres. Buy glock shoot gloc . Refinish glock when it wears

Bearlaker and GoFasterrrr like this.
  10. GoFasterrrr

GoFasterrrr

Reading threads about this started to cause me to have migraines.
    I say if it's such a big deal don't buy Glocks

11. Zerodefect

Zerodefect I feel pretty.

Are EPA permits public knowledge???

Melonite nitride baths are being phased out nation wide when they aren't absolutely needed. But I think that an air spray melonite nitride treatment is the next big thing right now. Melonite baths seem to work better than melonite spays, but IIRC, are EPA expensive.

DLC is some sort of vacuum spray:
    http://www.northeastcoating.com/products/dlc-coating

Salt bath nitriding is a little less EPA happy:
    http://www.northeastcoating.com/products/salt-bath-nitriding

I think Tenifer was similar to the bath, without the blackening, and the new stuff is closer to a weak version of DLC. Glock says their new finish is called "Gas Nitriding".

http://www.bodycote.com/en/services...equent-hardening-operation/gas-nitriding.aspx
    (click on "process details")

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  12. glide

glide Just sayin'

No because Dan of Glock said so! I read it here on Glock Talk. Do a search. Ha!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

13. VCoupe376ci

VCoupe376ci

No disrespect intended, but what exactly are you looking for in terms of proof? Do you need a personal hand signed response from Gaston Glock on company letterhead hand delivered by the man himself? Hate to break it to you, but the closest you are ever going to get to an answer on your question is from a Glock CSR or a Glock instructor of their armorers course, which it seems you are already dismissing as not good enough. Asking on this forum will get you second hand information from the above sources AT BEST which you are also dismissing as not good enough. Why bother asking in the first place if you already know the answers you are going to get will not satisfy you?

You remind me of my girlfriend.

Me: "Where do you want to eat?"
    Her: "Oh, it doesn't matter. Wherever you want to go."
    Me: "Ok, Chili's it is."
    Her: "Oh, I'm not really in the mood for that."
    Me: "Chinese food sounds good."
    Her: "I had that for lunch yesterday."
    Me: "Well I haven't had pizza in a while."
    Her: "Everything Italian has tons of carbs. You know I'm on a diet you jerk!"
    Me: "Ok, so where do you want to go, then?"
    Her: "Didn't I already tell you to pick?"
    Me: "Forget it, I'm just going to make a sandwich here."
    Her: "So now you don't want to go anywhere? Thanks for picking a fight to get out of taking me to dinner! Why didn't you just say you didn't want to go in the first place?"

glock-fan likes this.
  14. GoFasterrrr

GoFasterrrr

Girlfriend, Wife and Ex-Wife:laughabove::animlol:

I'll take Tenifer for $500, Alex.

I'm not 100% sure but Tenifer is a Process not a Finish.

This spurred the development of a more environmentally friendly salt bath process by the German company Degussa after acquiring ICI patents.[8] Their process is the widely known as the Tufftride or Tenifer process. Following this the ion nitriding process was invented in the early 1980s. This process had faster cycle times, required less cleaning and preparation, formed deeper cases, and allowed for better control of the process.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015