close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Yes, Mr. Citizen, it's me the cop!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Southswede, Oct 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Southswede

Southswede

Well, Mr. Citizen, it seems you've figured me out. I fit neatly into the category where you've placed me.

I'm stereotyped, standardized, characterized, classified, grouped, and always typical. Unfortunately, the reverse is true. I can never figure you out.

From birth, you teach your children that I'm the boogeyman, then you're shocked when they identify/associate with my traditional enemy... the criminal! You accuse me of coddling criminals...until I catch your kids doing wrong.

You may take an hour for lunch and several coffee breaks each day, but point me out as a loafer for having one cup between calls. You pride yourself on your manners, but think nothing of disrupting my meals with your troubles.

You raise Cain, and sometimes resort to violence, with the guy who cuts you off in traffic, but let me catch you doing the same thing and I'm picking on you. You know all the traffic laws...but somehow you've never gotten a single ticket you deserve.

You shout "FOUL" if you observe me driving fast to a call, but raise the roof if I take more than ten seconds to respond to your complaint.

You call it part of my job if someone strikes me, but call it police brutality if I strike back. You wouldn't think of telling your dentist how to pull a tooth or your doctor how to take out an appendix, yet you are always willing to give me pointers on the law.

You talk to me in a manner that would get you a bloody nose from anyone else, but expect me to take it without batting an eye.

You yell that something's got to be done to fight crime, but you can't be bothered to get involved. You say you have no use for me at all, but of course it's OK if I change a flat for your wife, deliver your child in the back of the patrol car, or perhaps save your son's life with mouth to mouth breathing, or work many hours overtime looking for your lost daughter.

So Mr. Citizen, you can stand there on your soapbox and rant and rave about the way I do my work, calling me every name in the book, but never stop to think that your property, family, or maybe even your life depends on me or one of my buddies.

Yes, Mr. Citizen, it's me the cop!

2. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

Few people like the person who is charged with the task of searching out and making people accountable for their actions.

I sleep very well at night.

3. PaulMason

PaulMason

I think there are many more that hold a differing opinion then what you presented. They are the good people that teach their children respect for the police. They are part of the silent majority.

4. glock_19guy1983

glock_19guy1983

SHHHH! Rabbi, you know not to talk to the POlice.:whistling:

Yall do a hard and thankless job. Ive got a good many friends that are LEO, there are still alot of people that appreciate the job you do.

5. devildog2067

devildog2067

I don't disagree with the rest of your post, but this one did jump out at me. If you can't take some lip without punching someone, you probably shouldn't be a cop. As Rabbi pointed out, sometimes not being liked is part of the job.

Stay safe.

6. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Couldn't keep this confined to Cop Talk, huh?

Nice job rebutting those stereotypes. Why don't you bleat it a little louder?

7. tsmo1066

tsmo1066 Happy Smiley

Like Dentists, Police Officers are often hated for what they have to do, but it's a necessary job. Also like Dentists, police officers are held to a higher standard of accountability while doing their work than is the "average Joe". Unlike Dentists, however, Cops normally don't make very much money while doing their work.

Police work definitely isn't for everyone, but thankfully we live in a country where nobody is forced at gunpoint to hold down a job that they hate. If police work doesn't do it for you, move on to something that does...maybe even dentistry. :dunno:

8. Drain You

Drain You NRA member

[​IMG]

9. Booker

Booker

Sounds like you need a new job! One where you won't get butthurt so much!

10. zoyter2

zoyter2 Yeah, so what?

Before you get slammed, it should be asked how long a thread would be open if a "Yes Officer, it's me the Citizen" was opened in Cop Talk and every hater from GNG flocked in to post?

Now, prepare to be eviscerated.

11. Southswede

Southswede

Try re-reading the post.

12. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Such as "hero", "brave", "dedicated" - along with the more usual colorful despicable names.

lots of occupations are thankless. People in medicine, rescue, .mil, emergency response, .gov, court system, sanitation, road crews, educators, etc have "thankless" jobs.

The decent folks amongst us recognize their value and without much fanfare make those folks know where we stand on their contributions.

We live in a society very biased towards "non essential" things - like sports (NFL Superbowl, World Series, Olympics), entertainment (Grammys, Oscars, Billboard Chart, Avatar, Harry Potter etc)

13. Southswede

Southswede

Try going back over to cop talk. You might see why I posted this again on GNG.

14. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Yes, he got it wrong. Those damn educator/geeks! :tongueout:

15. Southswede

Southswede

Interesting, well thought out post.

16. Booker

Booker

So Mr. Citizen, you can stand there on your soapbox and rant and rave about the way I do my work, calling me every name in the book, but never stop to think that your property, family, or maybe even your life depends on me or one of my buddies.

Tell it to Jessica Ridgeway

17. diamondd2

diamondd2

And you get paid well to do your job. It's not like your a volunteer.

18. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Posting it with your fellow officers to vent it one thing. And its why I didn't comment on it in there, nor do I post negative comments much of at all in Cop Talk, because thats where cops go to vent. I, as well as almost every Glocktalk member (with a few notable troll exceptions) read and keep quiet in there out of respect.

Once you actually come out here into GNG thumping your chest, you're not just blowing off steam, you're making a statement to the rest of us about how we're not nice enough to you and how much you do for us. You're, for no discernable reason, coming in here and smashing an egg into our face just because you can.

Well, we can respond with all types of things. We can talk about the cop on trial now for anally violating suspects. We can talk about the cops who murdered people during Katrina. We can talk about the cops who burst into the wrong houses and gunned down the startled occupants. We can talk about how cops are given a break on breaking laws while in the course of duty and slapped on the wirst when someone else would get jail time. We can talk about the preferential treatment in everything from gas stations to traffic citations. We could go on and on and on about it.

Or we could just say, "Quit yer *****in' and take your paycheck. Go do another job if you don't like yours."

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  19. hogfish

hogfish Señor Member

Thread title could've been: Civilians Blow. :wow:

20. nmk

nmk

I think my posting history would classify me as almost always falling on the side of LEO, but this is dumb. It's just...dumb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.