Glock Talk banner

Yes, I know I'm an Idiot

2551 Views 21 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  Twoglocks
So, I'm cleaning up my Ruger SR1911 and decided to detail strip the slide to check out the extractor closely....and...was doing it outside in my back yard...and...yup, lost the firing pin and spring as they came shooting out of the slide.....

$25 later, I'm good to go again.

Lesson learned.

But....I still am loving this thing, as per my review posted earlier.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Banned
5,375 Posts
I shot myself in the forehead with a spring plug one time.

Be careful out there!

· Registered
10,280 Posts
I have little (i.e. more than one) dents in my bedroom wall that looks oddly like the shape of a recoil spring plug..........those suckers fly.......in fact if I ever run out of ammo in a bad situation my back up plan is to aim the 1911 at said bad guy and twist the brushing at just the right speed and angle........ :)

· Banned
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's something kind of funny...my Ruger came with a bushing tool, so, I say, heck, this should make it so much easier...I tried it about shot myself with the recoil spring plug, so I went back to doing it without a tool. Much safer, for me.

· Registered
10,280 Posts
Here's something kind of funny...my Ruger came with a bushing tool, so, I say, heck, this should make it so much easier...I tried it about shot myself with the recoil spring plug, so I went back to doing it without a tool. Much safer, for me.
They do make it easier but they can be tricky. I have a couple of 1911s that I can not turn with my girly fingers so I have to use the wrench.

I will say the one 1911 I have with a bull barrel and no brushing is much easier to take apart :)

· Registered
4,541 Posts
if you are around guns long enough you will have a spring pin or other small part launch off to parts unknown- just the way it is.
One of the many reasons I only do detail strips when absolutely required- as in something is broke and needs replacement or trouble shooting.
I have never owned a gun that needed detail strip for routine care- and some of my pistols have 6 figure round counts

· Registered
1,209 Posts
I dissasembled the slide on my P85 for the heck of it not too long ago. I got it used, has maybe 1000 rounds through it by me and Lord knows how many the person before me put through it, maybe 2000 rounds or so judging from the wear on the recoil spring guide it had when i got it in 1997.

I had always cleaned it by hosing it with brake cleaner, hoppes and wire brush for the bore, and tooth brush and q tips. Once i decided to get fancy and soaked the slide in acetone for an hour, then blew it out with compressed air. CLP for the lower receiver parts and grease on the barrel contact points. Never jammed once that i can remember.

Anyway, I don't know how your model comes apart but on the P85, first you pry the extracter out about 1 mm and push it forward and it pops out. Then you can remove the ambidextrous safety, the firing pin etc. Fairly complicated but i managed to get it apart and back together...the point is i saw enough to prove to me, my cleaning methods were more then enough without ever needing to tear down the slide (unless you dropped it in salt water or something i suppose).

I found maybe a few miniscule grains of dirt behind the extractor, a tiny bit on the firing pin and that was all. The rest whistle clean. Totally unnecessary on my part and i'll probably never do it again.

Anything spring loaded to take apart, i do it inside a plastic bag, just in case a part comes shooting out on its own and goes flying off never to be found again.

· Mediocre Member
2,244 Posts
Luckily the 1911 doesn't have as small of parts as the Beretta 92FS slide assembly. I've lost the tiny safety detent spring for weeks at a time. Last time, it turned up in a pillow... It eventually turns up. If I'm careful with one side, the other side flies out at me. Now, I cup my hand around it to contain...

· Registered
116 Posts
my first time field stripping a 1911, i launched the plunger right into the corner of my eye. I hit the ground, and couldnt see anything out of my right eye, but had blood on my hands i could see with the left eye... come to find out, it cut the skin under my eye, and i had a nice black eye for about a week. oh and my sight came back about a day later.... this happened while i was reading the manuel and had just read where it said do not point at face while pulling the sping and plunger lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.